Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adwarecleaner download won't "RUN"

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 MELROSE22

MELROSE22

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 PM

Posted 05 November 2015 - 02:27 AM

I have windows 8.1 and IE 11. When trying to download AdwCleaner, there are 3 boxes "Run", "Save" and "Cancel". When clicking on any of them nothing happens. I reset IE and restarted and still can't get the download to work. Any advise would be appreciated.

Edited by MELROSE22, 05 November 2015 - 11:55 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 1PW

1PW

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2015 - 03:29 AM

Hello MELROSE22:

If your system has another browser, please download the application in question to your system's desktop, using the alternate browser, and execute from there.

Instead of AdwareCleaner, did you mean to type AdwCleaner instead?

Thank you.

Edited by 1PW, 05 November 2015 - 03:30 AM.

All viruses are malware but not all malware are viruses and if the malware doesn't self replicate it just isn't a virus.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 PM

Posted 05 November 2015 - 06:05 AM

And make sure you are downloading from here.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 MELROSE22

MELROSE22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2015 - 09:58 PM

Hello MELROSE22:

If your system has another browser, please download the application in question to your system's desktop, using the alternate browser, and execute from there.

Instead of AdwareCleaner, did you mean to type AdwCleaner instead?

Thank you.

Hi, 1PW, 

I got a bit further when using Google Chrome on the desktop. However, when clicking download, the only options given are "Save file" and "Cancel'; there is no "Run" option. I did click on the "Save file" option, but have no idea where that was saved to. And yes, I meant adwcleaner. Are there maybe conflicts with the built in Windows Defender and Malwarebytes ?

Thanks.    

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2015 - 10:11 PM

When downloading a file in Google chrome it will be saved by default to the Downloads folder of your user account so check there. However, you can choose another location where downloads should be saved by default or choose a specific location for each download..

...Are there maybe conflicts with the built in Windows Defender and Malwarebytes ?

...It is important to note that Malwarebytes Anti-Malware works well and should run alongside antivirus software without conflicts. In some rare instances, exclusions may need to be set for your specific antivirus product to achieve the best possible system performance.

Larry Tate
Product Support

A similar statement is in this Malwarebytes HelpDesk Article: Does Malwarebytes Anti-Malware replace antivirus software?

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 PM

Posted 06 November 2015 - 08:32 AM

.............but have no idea where that was saved to.........

Well, have you even looked for the AdwCleaner file? Most likely it was downloaded to the downloads folder. If it is there, suggest

moving it to the desktop before running.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#7 1PW

1PW

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2015 - 11:19 AM

Are there maybe conflicts with the built in Windows Defender and Malwarebytes ?

Hello MELROSE22:

Xplode's AdwCleaner is a standalone/portable application (it is not installed) and is also fully compatible with all Malwarebytes products as well as Microsoft's Windows Defender.

As has already been pointed out, moving the AdwCleaner download to the desktop and running with Administrator privileges (Run as Administrator) is a given.

Please update this thread when you are able.

Thank you.

All viruses are malware but not all malware are viruses and if the malware doesn't self replicate it just isn't a virus.

#8 MELROSE22

MELROSE22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2015 - 12:18 PM

Well, have you even looked for the AdwCleaner file? Most likely it was downloaded to the downloads folder. If it is there, suggest

I just learned quite a bit; I am not tech savvy.  I am not familiar with Google Chrome and only used it per another member's suggestion. I  did not know that "Run" does not  work there and "Save" is  saved in the download folder. I was able to download Adwcleaner using Internet Explorer after I reset my PC to 10/31 and cleared a message " Windows Smartscreen prevented an unrecognized app from starting." Thanks for all the help.

#9 MELROSE22

MELROSE22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2015 - 12:22 PM

Are there maybe conflicts with the built in Windows Defender and Malwarebytes ?

Hello MELROSE22:

Xplode's AdwCleaner is a standalone/portable application (it is not installed) and is also fully compatible with all Malwarebytes products as well as Microsoft's Windows Defender.

As has already been pointed out, moving the AdwCleaner download to the desktop and running with Administrator privileges (Run as Administrator) is a given.

Please update this thread when you are able.

Thank you.

After resetting my PC to 10/31 and clearing a message "Windows Smartscreen prevented an unrecognized app from starting" I was able to download it from Internet Explorer and it found quite a bit to clean up. I also learned the Google Chrome works differently by rather "Saving" to a download file. I appreciate all the help I received in this forum. 

#10 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 PM

Posted 06 November 2015 - 12:36 PM

Good...and you are welcome...but I must tell you that seldom does one program find all the adware and possibly the malware that installed

the adware. You should start a new topic in the Am I infected? What do I do? forum for assistance.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2015 - 12:50 PM

...I am not familiar with Google Chrome and only used it per another member's suggestion...

If you do not like using Chrome, try Mozilla Firefox.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users