Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help me find a processor upgrade.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 chunchasku

chunchasku

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2015 - 02:14 AM

Ok, so i've spent all day calling around places, and looking online, trying to find a compatible processor upgrade for my motherboard. It seems the AM3 socket is fading out, and amd is not favored among retailers. 

I bought my Pc around 5 years ago, so i know its gettin pretty old. You can find the specs for my machine here:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02035413

I upgraded the power supply to a 750 watt corsair, and upgraded the ram to 16GB, also got a video card upgrade years ago. A AMD Radeon HD 6770.

So for quick refrence, my motherboards model number is M2N78-LA (Violet6)

Currently running a AMD Athlon II X2 240e wich came with the pc.

Support website shows what i need to keep in mind when upgrading, but i'm not very computer literate.

Processor upgrade information
This motherboard supports only AM3 processors
Memory support is limited to DDR3 modules only.
HyperTransport 3.0
Split power planes allow separate power management for CPU and integrated memory controller for improved power savings.
Supports the following processors:
AMD Phenom II X4 9xx/9xxe/8xx Quad-Core (Deneb)
AMD Phenom II X3 7xx/7xxe Triple-Core (Heka)
AMD Phenom II X2 5xx (Callisto)
AMD Athlon II X4 6xx/6xxe (Propus)
AMD Athlon II X3 4xx/4xxe (Rana)
AMD Athlon II X2 2xx/2xxe (Regor)

Thought i could figure it out, but after contacting several ebay sellers with AMD phenom 2 X4 Am3 socket processors, i was told that thier processor would not be compatible with my motherboard.

I'm goin out of my mind here. i know most would say save up for a new comp, and i want to, but it'll take me several months. I just want to spend like 80 bucks or less if possible and get a quad core to tide me over till i can get a different pc. So tired of frame drops and stuttering when i'm trying to record videos fro my youtube channel.

anyone that could link me to a page where i can snag a processor upgrade that will work for me, would be super awesome and would totally make my day. Hoping for a amd phenom 2 X4, but would take an athlon X4.

Thanks in advance :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,748 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 AM

Posted 05 November 2015 - 04:07 PM

What's the purpose of the anticipated upgrade?

What won't the system do right now...that you believe a change of hardware will overcome or improve?

If that's an HP board...I would take note of the fact that OEMs like HP do not intend for their systems to be upgraded as if they were system builder or retail systems.

You might take a look at the USER COMMENTS .

Louis

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,483 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 09 November 2015 - 10:36 AM

Processor upgrade information

This motherboard supports only AM3 processors
Memory support is limited to DDR3 modules only.
HyperTransport 3.0
Split power planes allow separate power management for CPU and integrated memory controller for improved power savings.
Supports the following processors:
AMD Phenom II X4 9xx/9xxe/8xx Quad-Core (Deneb)
AMD Phenom II X3 7xx/7xxe Triple-Core (Heka)
AMD Phenom II X2 5xx (Callisto)
AMD Athlon II X4 6xx/6xxe (Propus)
AMD Athlon II X3 4xx/4xxe (Rana)
AMD Athlon II X2 2xx/2xxe (Regor)

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users