Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How can I clean out "All Mail" folder files in Thunderbird?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 yorocco7

yorocco7

• Members
  • 164 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 04 November 2015 - 09:53 PM

I have 3 Gmail accounts that I manage with the up-to-date version of Thunderbird (TB). I've been having storage capacity issues on my C:Drive & noticed several large imap/gmail files when I did a search of the drive. After doing a lot of web searching, it seems Gmail uses "All Mail" as an archive in TB.  It basically duplicates every email you ever sent or received no matter if you deleted it or moved it to a folder. As you can imagine with greatly increases the space each email account takes up on the drive, Each "All Mail" folder I have has over 3,000 emails in them. I spent hours going thru each account & each folder deleting emails i didn't need trying to clear up some space, The problem is if you delete an email from your "family" folder it is still in the "All Mail" folder. If you go into the "All Mail" folder & delete any of the emails it deletes it from that folder & whatever folder the original emails was filtered to. I didn't try it but I'm guessing if I did a "select all" in "All Mail" & hit delete it would delete every email in that account regardless of the folder its in. I found advise to "unsubscribe" that All Mail folder & I know how to do that. However that seems like just a way to hide the folder but not clean out its data or turn it off from getting more future emails. I looked in,  Account setting-Copies & folder. There is a section about archiving. It auto selects "keep message archives in" then it auto selects "Others - "All Mail" - My gmail acct name. This seemed like the place to find answers but before I did anything I wanted to find out the following:

-What would happen if I just Un-selected "Keep message archives in"?

-What would happen if I choose to have the in ("Archive" to folder on option) as - Drop down Box & I select the name of particular email account?

-How can I clear out all the emails in the "All Mail" folder without deleting the emails I want to keep in their current folders?

-If I'm able to do that, how do I turn off the "All Mail" archiving folder in the future?

As always gang, Thanks for the Help!

John

Acer 5738Z - Pent.Dual Core T4200 2.0GHz - 4.00GB RAM - 64-Bit Vista Biz & Win7 Pro -Latest Moz.F.F. & T.B.- Avast!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 AM

Posted 05 November 2015 - 03:01 AM

John, hi - I am from the Linux section, and saw your Post earlier in the day when I was logging in.

I have been using Mozilla products Firefox and Thunderbird since nearly Day One for both, and the principles are the same, whatever platform you are on.

I am going to throw a couple of links at you, to read, and it is not that I am trying to "flick you" ... but take a read, some may help, and come back here with questions or input.

They are:

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=1687205

... quite dated (2010) but bears similarities to your circs (circumstances)

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/993404

... 2014 and features some misconceptions, and (I find) particularly important, your Profile, under T-bird:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_Thunderbird

... which given your profile info, helps perhaps with two versions of Windows running.

Gotta fly, for now, but I will stop by soon to see how you are doing.

Cheers

:wizardball: Wizard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users