Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Using a laptop on a docking station, with monitors that are a higher resolution

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 kktto

kktto

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 AM

Posted 04 November 2015 - 07:15 PM

Is there any way to find out or determine what is the max resolution or dual monitor resolutions that can be handled by a laptop on external displays?

I have a Dell E Docking station available, and am looking at a good used E series laptop that can make use of this.

I saw one with a 14" screen with x900 resolution (E5430). If this is connected to a docking station and used with a 1080p monitor, or two 1080p monitors, how can I determine beforehand if that would work properly? That laptop uses the Intel HD 4000 graphics chipset. There would be no major gaming, the most media use would be running a video on one of the monitors, or running a low requirement game. Most of the time it would be to have two productivity applications open on one monitor each.

Would the graphics hardware allow two monitors at that resolution, could I expect it to heat up to the point of doing damage/shutting down? Is there any sort of reference site for something like this, looking up graphics hardware and finding out what the max safe resolution and multi-monitor setup is?

Thanks for your assistance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users