Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Tech support reviews

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 texaz1956

texaz1956

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 PM

Posted 04 November 2015 - 07:02 PM

I downloaded Reimage Repair from this website, which eventually led me to sign up as a customer wirh Advanced Tech Support. I currently had a tech support company called Plum Choice I pay a monthly fee to. I am asking first if bleeping computers does reviews of these type of businesses. And second if anyone in this community has any first hand experience with either company.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,596 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 PM

Posted 04 November 2015 - 07:19 PM

Hi texaz1956 :)

Reimage Repair isn't hosted on BleepingComputer, so it's impossible that you downloaded it from here. What is possible however, is that you saw an ad for Reimage Repair while you were not logged on BleepingComputer, got redirected to their website and downloaded it from here. I noticed that ad months ago and reported it as well, but I don't know if it has been removed. Grinler cannot control all the ads being displayed on the website, but this one should be removed since BleepingComputer is actually against programs like Reimage Repair, and this product goes far beyond the simple "PC Optimizer" or "Registry Cleaner" thing, it actually behaves like malware for some users due to it's persistence and method of installation (sneaky).

This being said, I suggest you to uninstall Reimage Repair and unsubscribe from Advanced Tech Support as soon as possible since the website doesn't have a good reputation and these type of companies are usually plain scam.

https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/press-releases/2014/11/ftc-obtains-court-orders-temporarily-shutting-down-massive-tech

Can you tell us on which webpage here on BleepingComputer you "downloaded" Reimage Repair (got redirected to it)?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 texaz1956

texaz1956
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2015 - 08:32 PM

I'm sorry, I've been going through this site, but have not found what led me to the link for Reimage Repair. I have also been on the phone with the bank trying to stop payment of $194.99 to Advanced Tech Support, and also a $150 charge for Panda Internet Security they recommended.  I have Plum Choice computer Tech Support dtill and will be calling them now, to undue anything ATS has done.

Thank you for replying so quickly. I feel like a fool and should have listened to the voice in the back of my head when my F-Secure security program did not want to let me open to their site.  I will continue to look through Bleeping Computers to see if I can track down where I found the link to ReImage.  I will be back in touch with any information I find.

Thank you again for your help.  I appreciate it so very much.

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,596 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2015 - 08:36 PM

$150 for Panda Internet Security? How many years and licences? This is not a normal price for a 1 year/1 PC product. I can't imagine Panda selling their products at such a high price.

And no problem, now a day its hard to make the differences between what is legitimate and what isn't, happens to a lot of users. I'll send one of our Security Experts, quietman7 your way as I'm sure he have some articles you can read and tricks to avoid being caught in such a situation in the future.

And if you find the page where you see the ad for Reimage Repair, if possible take a screenshot of your whole web browser and post it here as well. If you need instructions on how to do that, let me know. And keep in mind that you can only see ads when being logged out of BleepingComputer, not logged in. Keep us updated :)

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 texaz1956

texaz1956
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2015 - 03:28 AM

http://www.pandaforlife.com/  This is the website the guy from ATS took me to.   As you can see, the service is supposed to be a lifetime coverage for $300 one time charge.   And he had me hold on while he talked to his 'supervisor'.  When he came back on the phone, his supervisor had authorized him to lower the set up fee for them from $250 to $195 (with a $20/month fee), AND to reduce the price of the Panda for Life from $300 to $150.. Below is just a copy/paste of the confirmation email I got from Panda.  There is a place on this page that says if you want to cancel the service, to log into my account at Safelink to cancel the order.  Except they don't show a purchase from me because it is still pending on my credit card.  So, that's it for now.  And I will look for how I found my way to Reimage Repair, and if I can find it, you will be the first to know.  Thank you again. I best go to bed, I have a feeling it's going to be a long day dealing with ATS to tell them I changed my mind, and the bank.  :smash:

Oh! I removed any information that could be personal along with the License Key.  :radioactive:

your order and the delivery of your product(s). 

Important: It is highly recommended that you print or save this email as a reference.

The information below is required to install and activate your products and will be necessary should you need to re-install the product or access Customer Support. If you experience any product related problems, please use the support information found below. 

Product License Key(s): Note: Pay careful attention when entering in your license key. License keys are product-specific and will only activate the product with which they are associated. 

Panda Internet Security 1 User License Key(s):

To Activate Panda Internet Security 1 User

Download Link: http://www.advancedtechsupport.com/downloads/Panda_Setup.exe

Product Support:

For technical support, please contact the product's manufacturer - Advanced Tech support:

Online: http://www.advancedtechsupport.com/

Email: info@advancedtechsupport.com

; Phone: Within US : (888) 309-1412
International : +1 888-309-1412

;

Order Confirmation:
Purchaser's Name:   Order Id: CALL-U0411152217-***** Date of Purchase: Nov 04, 2015 Email Address:

Edited by texaz1956, 05 November 2015 - 03:30 AM.

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,596 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2015 - 06:23 AM

Sadly this isn't the official website for Panda products, this one is:

http://www.pandasecurity.com/usa/homeusers/solutions/internet-security/

Also, it seems like it's still listing Panda Internet Security 2014 and 2015, while we are on 2016. My guess is that ATS have some kind of "deal" with that PandaForLife.com website (which sells overpriced licences of Panda products, I'm not even sure if it's an authorized dealer) and whenever they recommend their "client" to buy from it, they get a share of the profits. To sum it up, it looks like a real scam to me. I'll ask quietman along the way if there's a way to report websites like these, or at least send an email to Panda and ask them if that website is authorized distributor/reseller.

unite_blue.png

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,267 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2015 - 07:26 AM

Scammers commonly claim to be an employee affiliated with Microsoft or Windows Support. However, there have been reports of them claiming to be affiliated with major computer manufacturers such as Hewlett Packard, Lenovo and Dell or familiar security vendors like Symantec, Panda and McAfee.

You can Report phishing or suspicious/scam sites to Google and use the FTC Complaint Assistant.

In Canada call the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre: toll-free number 1-888-495-8501.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#8 texaz1956

texaz1956
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2015 - 05:11 PM

A big thank you to Aura and quietman7.  I have been on the computer all day trying to make sure I had copies of everyone I have been in touch with regarding the Advanced Tech Support fiasco I started.  Both payments I made yesterday for ATS and Panda For Life went through the same processing site, Safecart.com.  I had already been trying to go through the website for Panda Internet Security site where it said if I wanted to cancel to log on to their site and cancel from there.  However, since the charge had not cleared on my credit card, I was not in their system yet.  And Aura, it appears you were right about some type of deal between ATS and Panda, because as I looked closer at everything in my receipts from Safecart, to activate Panda I was supposed to go through a download link through ATS.com/downloads/Panda.  Hopefully the good new is, when I called Safecart customer service, and was trying to explain what I needed, the rep (I wrote down his name and exactly what he told me) just interrupted me and asked if I want to cancel the purchases. I said yes, and apparently the deal is being cancelled now. I've already received emails from Safecart saying the cancellation refund has been initiated.  Hopefully it will all be over in the next couple of weeks.  Now, I will be calling the computer tech support company I had already been using, and have them do a full check of my computer to ensure nothing was left behind other than what programs I already deleted.

And quietman7, I have also already been to FTC link you gave me and printed some of their stuff to look over.  I will look closely to see if this was considered a scam. Or if I just kind of stumbled in to it all by myself.  Last thing for now anyway, I did stumble on to where I found the link to ReImage Repair, but by then it was 3:00 am, and I can't remember how I found it.   Oh! I remember now!  Once I found it, I saved the page as a favorite. >>>>> This is how I found it again. 

Home >Searching for ReImage Repair   I tried to redo it again, and what I first did was this>>> Home/Virus, Spyware, & Malware Guides/ then I searched using the search place at the top of the page, and that only brought up some Google ads. But if you search it from the Home page, it brings up all kinds of stuff from this site.  I will let you know though when I finally figure out how I stumbled on it in the first place. So now I'm shutting up. I can't even try to explain what is going on with the dog gone font here. 

Again, I want to thank you for your help.  :bananas:

I'm sorry again.  I originally came here looking for a tutorial or some kind of help on how to burn photos to a disk from Windows-10 auto installed Photos App. That's all. And look what I did! 

Edited by texaz1956, 05 November 2015 - 05:20 PM.

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,596 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2015 - 05:32 PM

No problem texaz, you're welcome :) We're glad that we were able to assist you, and also that you were able to cancel the payments and get a refund! Grinler will most likely take a look at your thread soon, and search for the Reimage Repair ad to remove it from the rolling ads on the website, so no one else gets caught in the same situation as you.

unite_blue.png

#10 texaz1956

texaz1956
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2015 - 03:45 PM

:grinner: Hello Aura 

This is just a follow up to thank you again.  I just checked my bank statement, and all charges ATS and Panda have been refunded.  This site is a bright spot in the Windows-10 hell I am going through.  You can be sure, that before I go downloading willy-nilly, I will be checking things out a lot more closely in the future.

I just wanted to let you and everyone at bleeping computer  know that you provide a much needed service in helping noodle heads like me.

Best to all

:thumbup2:

#11 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,596 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2015 - 03:52 PM

No problem texaz, you're welcome :) Glad to hear that everything turned out good for you!

unite_blue.png

#12 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,833 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2015 - 04:56 PM

Thank you texaz1956 for the kind words about Bleeping Computer. Glad to know you found our information helpful and able to get your money back.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users