Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Acrobat 7/Windows 8.1 Compatibility

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_JWebb_*

Guest_JWebb_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 04 November 2015 - 06:24 PM

Does anyone know if Acrobat 7 Professional is compatible with Windows 8.1?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,485 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2015 - 06:35 PM

Hi JWebb :)

From the link below, you can see that Adobe Acrobat 7 isn't officially supported on Windows 8.1, and maybe even barely on Windows 7.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_programs/can-i-use-adobe-acrobat-70-on-win7/b73fd3f0-947c-46f3-be86-c55e5ea71ea1

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 Guest_JWebb_*

Guest_JWebb_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 04 November 2015 - 07:37 PM

I can always get it to work on my XP Virtual Machine.  I was just wondering whether to try installing it on 8.1.

I have a pretty good uninstaller so it may be worth a try.  It looks like 50/50.

Thanks.

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,485 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 PM

Posted 04 November 2015 - 07:39 PM

When it comes to situations like this (installing a program on an OS not officially supported), it's really a gamble. It might work or not. Or it might work but with issues. And if you ask for assistance with the program, you'll be told basically that since there's no official support for your setup, nothing can be done.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 Guest_JWebb_*

Guest_JWebb_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 04 November 2015 - 08:04 PM

That's why I use the VM.  Microsoft sucks for backwards compatibility.

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,485 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2015 - 08:05 PM

Well it depends on the programs. They managed to make Office 95 works on Windows 10, but then again it's their product so it might be easier for them than to add support for a program of a third party.

unite_blue.png

#7 Guest_JWebb_*

Guest_JWebb_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 04 November 2015 - 08:17 PM

DOS doesn't work at all.

Microsoft's own flight simulator doesn't work.  There is a fix but Microsoft doesn't know about it.  It suggests that you contact the game manufacturer.

Microsoft's golf simulator (Links) runs worse under 8.1 than it did under XP.  Microsoft doesn't support Links any more.

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,485 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 PM

Posted 04 November 2015 - 08:58 PM

DOS doesn't work at all.

Most likely because the DOS era is over, and this is not some small compabitility they can adjust.

Microsoft's own flight simulator doesn't work. There is a fix but Microsoft doesn't know about it. It suggests that you contact the game manufacturer.

On which version of Windows, and which version of the game? I have a colleague a work who is a Flight Simulator addict and I think he's playing it on Windows 8/8.1 fairly well.

unite_blue.png

#9 Guest_JWebb_*

Guest_JWebb_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 04 November 2015 - 09:07 PM

I use FS 2002.  It runs fine with the fix that MS doesn't know about.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users