Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Newly built computer on stuck on a black screen

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Fejjrey

Fejjrey

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2015 - 06:07 PM

Hello!

I just got done building my first PC, however when I attempt to turn it on I get stuck at a black screen, nothing happens, the monitor doesn't even recognize that the computer is there. This is what I'm working with:
Asus Z97 Deluxe Motherboard
Intel Devil's Canyon i7 CPU
I'm just gunna hit paste for the GPU XFX Radeon R9 290 R9-290A-EDFD 4GB 512-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Double Dissipation Edition
1000w power supply
Windows 10 (not installed just sitting in disk tray)
Seagate Barracuda 3TB 64MB cache hard drive
Corsair H60 hydro cooling (it's a CPU cooler and a fan)
Rosewill Challenger Case
I have an SSD
4K supported ASUS 28in Monitor

2 8GB Ares Series G-Skill RAM

I read all of my manuals, watched online guides, and did a TON of research before putting this build together and ordering it, everything appears to be installed properly, however the LED DRAM_LED MemOK is solid red and I can't figure out why. I don't see any other issues the inside of the computer, but I can take photos if necessary.

Thank you for looking at this for me! I'm kind of freaking out.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 PM

Posted 04 November 2015 - 06:52 PM

Did you plug all the power supply leads in correctly to all the components.
Have the right power supply for that motherboard? Really does not seem to be powering up.
Have the manual? Go back over all steps of the build.

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

#3 Fejjrey

Fejjrey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2015 - 07:17 PM

Did you plug all the power supply leads in correctly to all the components.
Have the right power supply for that motherboard? Really does not seem to be powering up.
Have the manual? Go back over all steps of the build.

Everything is powering up fine, the fans are moving the lights are turning on and everything, but there is an LED that is labeled DRAM_LED MemOK that remains on when I boot it up, which appears to be the source of the problem, however I can't confirm that it is

#4 Fejjrey

Fejjrey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2015 - 09:09 PM

I'm going to disassemble the computer and build it up slowly, I'll update this post according to my results.

#5 Fejjrey

Fejjrey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2015 - 11:34 PM

I have reassembled my computer on my desk without the case, and fixed the previous problem with the DIMM. I'm now getting an error message A2 which means IDE Detect error, and I can't fix it.

#6 Fejjrey

Fejjrey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2015 - 08:51 AM

Currently on the motherboard there is:
The power supply
2 sticks of RAM
CPU
Corsair cooler
Optic Drive
Internal Hard Drive

When I turn everything on, it now displays on the monitor to go into the BIOS settings and the motherboard reads an A2 error code message. The RAM sticks issue has been resolved, and when booting the LED no longer remains on. The only LED currently remaining on is the BOOT_DEVICE_LED.

#7 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,827 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 PM

Posted 05 November 2015 - 09:02 PM

Some complications can arise from assembly outside the case, mostly from a missing ground.  Failure to boot inside the case points to the opposite cause, a grounded point, usually a power trace on top of a metal standoff.  Nylon standoffs and mounting screws will solve the short, the MOBO installation instructions should detail the correct grounding points, isolate the others.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users