Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spy Protector

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 wxman1

wxman1

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 PM

Posted 04 November 2015 - 02:31 PM

Under "all programs' I see Spy Protector listed.  I googled it and found that Malwarebytes is supposed to remove it.  I have Malwarebytes premium with the current update and the scan found no infections to remove.  How do I get rid of this program?  Control Panel does not list it.

Edited by Orange Blossom, 04 November 2015 - 02:38 PM.
Moved to AII from Windows 7. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 PM

Posted 04 November 2015 - 02:36 PM

Hi wxman1 :)

I guess this is the removal guide that you found for Spy Protector?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-spyprotector

This is from 2008, so I guess this isn't the same Spy Protector as the one in the removal guide, but a different one or an updated variant. Under "Spy Protector" in the Start Menu, what is listed?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 wxman1

wxman1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2015 - 05:26 PM

Open

Run as administrator

Pin to taskbar

Pin to start menu

Remove from this list

properties

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2015 - 05:29 PM

No I mean, under the "Spy Protector" folder, under "All Programs" in the Start Menu, what shows up? I'm talking about something like this:
uM3OzsQ.png

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 wxman1

wxman1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2015 - 05:49 PM

A block of text pops up that I can scrn capture but don't see how to attach it to this message.  It disappears if I try to copy and paste.

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2015 - 06:05 PM

You cannot attach a screenshot in this section. You can however upload the screenshot on a website like Imgur.com and post the link to it :)

https://imgur.com/

unite_blue.png

#7 wxman1

wxman1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2015 - 06:24 PM

http://imgur.com/7X60EsC

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2015 - 06:25 PM

Do you use Security Task Manager?

http://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/

unite_blue.png

#9 wxman1

wxman1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2015 - 06:49 PM

No but somehow it is on my computer.  I checked and it says it is a 30 day free trial version but I don;t remember ever seeing it before.  However Control Panel shows it with a date of Dec. 2014.  I think I should uninstall it, what is your opinion?

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2015 - 06:52 PM

Security Task Manager is a legitimate piece of software. Never used it and I don't see how it could be useful (to me at least). So you can either keep it or uninstall it. But the SpyProtector you have isn't the Rogueware, it's just a link to an offer to buy it which is bundled with Security Task Manager, like shown in the link I posted. To sum it up, you're not infected with it.

unite_blue.png

#11 wxman1

wxman1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2015 - 07:10 PM

Good news although a few weeks ago a window popped up saying I have a virus and told be to click on a link to get it removed.  I didn't of course but didn't think to get a screen capture of the window.  

#12 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2015 - 07:11 PM

If this was a window that was inside your web browser, it was just a fake webpage and your system isn't infected by it. Usually shutting down your web browser make it go away.

unite_blue.png

#13 wxman1

wxman1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2015 - 07:14 PM

I was able to uninstall security task manager and spy protector disappeared as well.  Thanks

#14 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2015 - 07:14 PM

No problem wxman1, you're welcome :)

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users