Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Recovery Disc, No Luck...

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 PM

Posted 21 July 2006 - 11:55 AM

Lemme get right to the point. I would like to re-install windows xp on my home box. The problem is that my computer didn't come with windows restore discs.... It came with 6 blank discs and instructions on how to create a "System Restore" disc in case i ever wanted to re-install my OS. However, being the genius user that i am, i deleted the "System Recovery" tools and programs a few days after i acquired my box. This means that i can't create my recovery discs, and (seemingly) can't re-install and reformat my master harddrive.....

So, my question is, how would i go about re-installing XP on my box? I would like a legal way, seeing as how i already own the operating system AND a license number. I don't want to have to buy a $100+ OS that i already own.....

Edited by Heretic Monkey, 21 July 2006 - 11:56 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 PM

Posted 21 July 2006 - 12:06 PM

What is the make and model? I have order several XP recovery disk set from HP to solve the exact same problem you are having. I had them next day for $25.
May be the brand you purchased will do the same.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2006 - 12:09 PM

I have an e-machines T6211. Maybe i can call the people/go to their site and see if i can get some cheap re-install discs?

#4 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2006 - 01:24 PM

Heretic Monkey:

Please see the following webpage:

http://www.emachines.com/support/upgrades.html

Restore CDs
For replacement Restore CDs contact one of our Customer Care representatives by phone or online chat.

Hope that helps. :thumbsup:
JC

#5 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2006 - 02:28 PM

You can also go to the local computer store and purchase a Windows XP disk and that is a lot faster than messing with eMachines. Before you go to re-install I would suggest backing up all of your important data before hand.

#6 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2006 - 02:48 PM

Thanx joshuacat, i'll try that out when i get some free time. Hopefully it won't cost that much for replacements....

To thor, i've already backed up all my important info on usb thumb-drive and a seperate hard drive in my box, so i should be fine there. I don't think i'll go buy another disc, since i want to spend as little money as possible...

#7 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2006 - 03:31 PM

Rita Cosby has one of the most annoying voices i've ever heard...

Ditto.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#8 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2006 - 04:10 PM

Well, i checked out the e-machines site and chatted w/ one of the tech guys, and it turns out that if i want to order some restore discs, i'd have to pay $20.... I'll probably just try to find some old restore discs from some of the other e-machines we've purchased.... gonna take a lot of help.....

Thanx for the suggestions everyone that posted in the thread. And albert, i assume you've heard her airy, raspy voice as well.... lol

#9 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2006 - 06:48 PM

And albert, i assume you've heard her airy, raspy voice as well.... lol

I try to hear it as little as possible.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#10 Starbuck

Starbuck

'r Brudiwr

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 AM

Posted 21 July 2006 - 07:21 PM

The last pc i bought was an 'NEC' that was just the same..... you had to make your own restore disks.
Luckily i did !!
But why do companies do that? Why not just give you a disk?
Like you said Heretic Monkey

seeing as how i already own the operating system AND a license number. I don't want to have to buy a $100+ OS that i already own.....

That's not fair trading , is it?

Btw never heard of Rita Cosby.... does that make me the lucky one? :thumbsup:

BBPP6nz.png

#11 cheto

cheto

• Banned
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 PM

Posted 21 July 2006 - 10:21 PM

Theres only one kind of recovery disks set for every computer thats why they created the serial number dont think they just put The number for fun...............me and my friend both got windows xp home edition but the serial number is different so he cant use my recovery disks ( which i bought from hp 2 days ago my computer wasnt working price:25.00) So the only choice you got is to call HP AND purchase them from there

here are the numbers

Buy HP and Compaq products direct from the HP Home & Home Office Store___________888-999-4747

Working hours

Mon. - Fri.7:00 a.m. - 2:00 a.m. ET
Sat. - Sun.8:00 a.m. - 1:00 a.m. ET

They will give you question about your serial number etc. just answer them and they will find the correct recovery disk set for your computer 5-10 call

Buy HP and Compaq products direct from the HP Small & Medium Business Store_________800-888-9909

Working hours

Everyday-----8:00 a.m. - 9:00 p.m. ET

Also heres my recoverys disk set i bought from hp i got them two days ago

Posted Image

Edited by cheto, 21 July 2006 - 10:39 PM.

#12 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2006 - 08:06 AM

You may want to consider using something like Digital Dolly to image your hard drive. When you image the drive, it copies everything just the way it was on the day that you did it - all the crap that you removed is still gone, all your updates and favorite programs are still there.

That way, if your system does go south - you can reapply the image and start over fresh in about 20 minutes.

But, since images are so large, I'd suggest backing up your personal files/data separately.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#13 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2006 - 01:22 PM

You cannot use the restore disks from any other computer. They will not work and will not validate with Microsoft even if you get the installation accomplished.

Get the ones made for your computer from Emachines. They will be made to include the proper motherboard, chipset and peripherals that came with your specific computer and will have the proper MS key included.
It will also probably reinstall the restore partition as well - and this time - LEAVE IT ALONE!!!

Edited by Enthusiast, 22 July 2006 - 01:24 PM.

#14 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2006 - 05:58 PM

Yeah............. i tried using the restore discs from my other e-machines. It's about a year older than the box i'm trying to work on right now........... and it didn't do anything. I tried to install XP, but everytime i tried to boot it up, it would get stuck in an endless loop of rebooting. So, i ordered the restore discs from the thieves at eMachines for $20..... the discs were "free" but the shipping and handling cost me a jackson.....

Well, thanx for the help

#15 deadsleeper

deadsleeper

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2006 - 08:39 PM

awww. 20bucks for the restore disc? If you have any other installer of windows just use it or borrow from your friend.

When the installation asks for a cdkey input your cdkey usually found at the side or back of your computer. i think thats legal :D

you have to download the drivers though. save your 20 bucks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users