Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Factory refresh a Dell Inspiron Windows 7 Pro laptop

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ABC Indyharleyguy

ABC Indyharleyguy

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 PM

Posted 04 November 2015 - 12:21 PM

Hi I can see I have a recovery partition from disk management but when I hit F8 and boot to System Recovery Options there is no Dell DataSafe Restore and Emergency Backup or System Image Recovery to go to. Is there anyway to get this back? I just want to wipe and reload it and do not have a Windows 7 Pro boot CD.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,650 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 04 November 2015 - 12:39 PM

Just to make sure, when you tapped F8 to get to Advanced Boot Options, you then selected Repair Computer from the list and then System Recovery Options. If you don't see the option, it's possible the OS was updated from Windows 7 Home to Pro.

If you can't get to System Image Recovery using F8 then see if the following works. Download the bootable version of Partition Wizard. Burn the iso file in Windows 7 by right clicking and selecting Burn Disk Image. Boot the disk and then mark the Recovery Partition as Active. Make sure your 100mb system reservered or other partition is not marked active after the change. You are allowed only one active partition on a disk for boot. Reboot the comptuer and see if it boots to the Recovery Partition. If not, then reboot Partition Wizard and mark the System Reserved Partition active and remove active from the Recovery Partition. You can order recovery disks from Dell at a nominal cost.

Before doing the above I would back up your activation files to a flash drive using this utility

#3 ABC Indyharleyguy

ABC Indyharleyguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2015 - 12:58 PM

Yes from the Repair Computer then System Recovery Options the Dell DataSafe Restore and Emergency Backup or System Image Recovery option is not there. Actually yes it was upgraded from Windows 7 home to Windows 7 Pro. I do have the Windows 7 Pro Key and Microsoft 2010 key printed out already. I have found a Windows 7 Pro CD and am trying to boot from it now. Not going well even though I did tell it to boot from CD/DVD. It seems to be in the normal system repair option again. Trying to boot from the Windows 7 Pro CD again. It's connected via a usb CD/DVD device.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,650 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2015 - 01:39 PM

Try booting from a USB flash drive. You can create a iso from the install disk using Imgburn and then use Rufus to create a bootable USB flash drive.

Make sure you opt out of any optional programs Imgburn offers and backup any data on the flash drive you use with Rufus. Try MBR for a partition scheme first. If that does not work then use GPT.

Attach the flash drive before booting and then tap F12 for a boot menu. Select the flash drive.

Edit: Upgrading from Home to Pro removed the Factory reset option.

Edited by JohnC_21, 04 November 2015 - 01:41 PM.

#5 ABC Indyharleyguy

ABC Indyharleyguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2015 - 02:03 PM

Well after sitting the Recovery partition as Active & Boot I tried to boot to it but it started Windows and tried a repair again. The main C drive still showed as System. Still wouldn't do a factory refresh. It ran a repair instead and didn't fix my problem. I tried to boot to my Windows 7 pro CD again and it's finally doing a fresh Windows 7 Pro install.  Thanks for your help.

#6 ABC Indyharleyguy

ABC Indyharleyguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2015 - 04:32 PM

Well after install Windows 7 Pro from CD on a Dell laptop and using the same Windows 7 key I had before I can't activate it. And I'm not getting the option to activate it by phone. What should of been a simple process has turned into a mess. 

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,650 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2015 - 04:49 PM

Did you save the activation files using the utility I linked to in Post#2? 

If this is a true Pro key you should be able to download the Pro iso from here.

Download PID checker here Edit: corrected link. and input your key. Does it list the key as valid or as a volume key?

You can also call Microsoft direct here if you live in the US. Make sure you get ahold of a live person.

(888) 571-2048

Edited by JohnC_21, 04 November 2015 - 04:51 PM.

#8 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 04 November 2015 - 04:52 PM

Just a thought but what would happen if you just went back to home edition?Im assuming you wouldnt then be asked for a key.?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users