Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sharing A Printer

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 trevorcork

trevorcork

• Members
  • 359 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 PM

Posted 04 November 2015 - 11:08 AM

Theres a printer in my dads office, they are on a network he has it plugged directly into his pc, but the other pc in the room needs too print too it, so i shared the printer off my dads pc but the opther pc still wont see it or find it, why is that?  how do i find the exact name too browse for it?

Edited by hamluis, 07 November 2015 - 07:22 AM.
Edited title to reflect topic focus, moved from Win 7 to Networking - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jormeno1982

Jormeno1982

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2015 - 03:17 PM

Hello trevorcork,

Can you tell me which operating System is on each PC? Also can you verify that each PC is in the same work group.

Don't settle for less, even a genius asks his questions. - 2pac

#3 trevorcork

trevorcork
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 359 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2015 - 03:40 PM

hi, yes there windows 7 OS and they are both in a domain, the pc where the printer is installed doesnt show up when i try find it from the 2nd pc for some reason, but they are both on the same network ,i have the printer shared, when i try search for the printer it give mes me some error message saying it cant find the path,its not a network printer so i cant add it using tcp/ip but i know it was shared too another pc before so i should be able too share it,

#4 Jormeno1982

Jormeno1982

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2015 - 05:04 PM

Can you please provide a screenshot of both printer settings?

#5 leithanne

leithanne

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 PM

Posted 04 November 2015 - 09:32 PM

Did you install the printer software on the second pc?

#6 trevorcork

trevorcork
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 359 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2015 - 04:52 AM

no i didnt install printer software i thought i would first have too find it on network, or should i install software first?

#7 trevorcork

trevorcork
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 359 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2015 - 08:53 AM

This is after an earlier thread, i managed too get the printer installed, i managed too find the pc threw the server and added printer that way, now its installed, its set as default, when i print it is sending too printer but not printing, no error no anything? i tried too update driver by goin to printer properties, advanced, but its greyed out can click on new driver, any other suggestions? or what you think it could be

Edited by hamluis, 05 November 2015 - 10:01 AM.
Merged topics - Hamluis.

#8 Jormeno1982

Jormeno1982

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2015 - 01:29 PM

This is after an earlier thread, i managed too get the printer installed, i managed too find the pc threw the server and added printer that way, now its installed, its set as default, when i print it is sending too printer but not printing, no error no anything? i tried too update driver by goin to printer properties, advanced, but its greyed out can click on new driver, any other suggestions? or what you think it could be

Did you make sure you selected the correct port for the printer. Please right click on the printer and go to printer properties > ports and make sure you have chosen the correct port.

#9 trevorcork

trevorcork
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 359 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2015 - 04:12 AM

hi, does it have too be in the same port as it is on pc1 for example port usb001

#10 trevorcork

trevorcork
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 359 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2015 - 04:14 AM

its a shared printer no network connection i have the latest drivers installed also

#11 trevorcork

trevorcork
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 359 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2015 - 03:37 PM

just thinking, the pc  i shared the printer frrom was originally sharing it from another pc, but tthe other pc has since been moved, so if i delete printer from pc1 and re install locally with the usb then share it too my pc2 it should work mayb?

#12 Jormeno1982

Jormeno1982

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2015 - 04:04 PM

just thinking, the pc  i shared the printer frrom was originally sharing it from another pc, but tthe other pc has since been moved, so if i delete printer from pc1 and re install locally with the usb then share it too my pc2 it should work mayb?

You can give that a try but i have a feeling that it has to do with the ports. You are more then welcome to give that a try. If that fails please post a screenshot of your printer options of both printers here please.

#13 trevorcork

trevorcork
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 359 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2015 - 05:57 AM

ok thanks

#14 trevorcork

trevorcork
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 359 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2015 - 06:46 AM

its on port usb001 i think the other pc is also on the same port i cant access that pc today tho

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users