Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor Keeps Cutting out on Multi-Monitor Setup

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 RyanMakesMovies

RyanMakesMovies

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 PM

Posted 04 November 2015 - 02:58 AM

A couple months back, I completed a build with 4 AcerX203H monitors, and everything seemed to be working fine. However, after a couple days, one of the monitors randomly cut out while I was working. The monitor itself will completely disconnect (so Windows re-positions my other screens accordingly) but I get that repetitive connect/disconnect noise until I physically unplug the monitor.

I filmed a short video so you can see what's going on in the display controls HERE

I've checked the monitors and I get the same problem no matter which configuration the monitors are plugged in (swapping out cables/adapters, or trying different monitors in different ports); If I have more than 3 connected, this problem shows up.

So far the consensus seems to be that it's not a power supply issue, and I've tried running 2 of the monitors to a different outlet (on the other end of my apartment) via extension cord, but that didn't help either.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!!

The Build

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/bDChQ7

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($179.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: Asus B85M-E/CSM Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($79.89 @ OutletPC) 
Memory: A-Data XPG V1.0 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($77.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($163.75 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Western Digital WD Green 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($74.98 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: Hitachi Deskstar 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive 
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 960 2GB Video Card  ($189.89 @ OutletPC) 
Case: Sentey Stealth ATX Mid Tower Case 
Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast 650W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply 
Optical Drive: Pioneer BDR-209DBK Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer  ($56.88 @ OutletPC) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 OEM (64-bit)  ($133.88 @ OutletPC) 
Case Fan: Cooler Master R4-L2S-122B-GP 39.8 CFM 120mm  Fans  ($7.61 @ Newegg) 
Keyboard: Microsoft Wireless Desktop 3000 Wireless Standard Keyboard w/Optical Mouse  ($43.94 @ B&H) 
Headphones: Audio-Technica ATH-M30x Headphones  ($69.00 @ Adorama) 
Speakers: Cyber Acoustics CA3001WB 14W 2.1ch Speakers  ($18.98 @ OutletPC) 
External Storage: Western Digital My Book 2TB External Hard Drive  ($98.98 @ Amazon) 
Total: $1218.59
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-04 02:54 EST-0500

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,972 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 PM

Posted 04 November 2015 - 03:31 AM

To assist in planning possible diagnosis, could I ask that you define the port/adapter/input configurations for your monitors, and clarify that it is not just one monitor or one port that always has the problem. This being so, is it always the same one for a given configuration, or can it randomly be any monitor for a given arrangement? If one starts showing the problem at a given time, will it continue to be only that one for that operating session?

Edited by Platypus, 04 November 2015 - 03:32 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 RyanMakesMovies

RyanMakesMovies
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2015 - 07:44 PM

So my graphics card has 5 outputs: 1 DVI out, 3 DisplayPort outs, and 1 HDMI out (that mirrors the last DP port).

I ran DVI directly to one of the monitors, and used three DisplayPort>DVI adapters to run DVI to the other three. It's always a DisplayPort monitor that has the problem.

I'm able to plug 3 monitors into any configuration of three ports with no problem, but when plugging in a fourth, that's when the problem arises. For example, my ports are laid out like:

[1] [2] [3] [4]

1 being DVI and 2-4 being DisplayPort. I have monitors A B and C plugged into ports 1-3, and when I plug monitor D into port 4, the problem starts. I tried plugging monitor C into port 4 and it worked with no problem, but when I plugged monitor D into Port 3, the problem started again. I also tried only plugging Monitors A B and D in to see if it was a monitor problem, and they all worked fine until I plugged in monitor C.

Hopefully that made sense. And it used to work temporarily before going out, now if I plug it in it just immediately starts doing the connect/disconnect thing.

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,972 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2015 - 12:20 AM

If it's the last one being plugged in that causes the symptom, is it that one that has the problem? i.e A, B & C are OK, plug in D and D has problem. A, B & D is OK, plug in C & C has problem.

Are the DVI adapters just passive adapters, not a converter with power?

Being only the DisplayPort having trouble, I wonder if a less than ideal driver has got installed? Is Windows Update set to install both important and recommended updates or only important updates?

Would you mind publishing a Speccy system report?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/323892/publish-a-snapshot-using-speccy/#entry1797792

Another thought is, to work out if the problem is some strange quirk of simultaneously using 3 DisplayPorts through converters, drive one of the monitors from the HDMI out through a HDMI-DVI adapter/lead.

Edited by Platypus, 06 November 2015 - 12:30 AM.

#5 RyanMakesMovies

RyanMakesMovies
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2015 - 10:06 PM

It's weirder than that. I just plugged in B, and B came on, but C went out instead.

The adapters are passive, yes.

I just went into Windows update and saw a driver update for my monitor, which I got really excited about, but even after installing it, the problem persists.

Speccy Report: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/LKI7B3xhX17xlZHiYCbKl16

I'll try to pick up an HDMI/DVI adapter and see if that helps.

Thanks for all your help so far! Let me know if you need any more info from me.

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,972 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2015 - 11:40 PM

Driver updates sourced thru Windows Update can sometimes cause a problem, which was what I wondered about. However there seems to be no indication of a random video driver update, and MSI link to default GeForce WHQL drivers for their products anyway so there shouldn't be a problem there.

There have been a couple of video driver version releases since yours, so you could try the current release if you wish, in case your effect was a bug that's been addressed:

http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/93639

Yours is Driver version:  10.18.13.5582, latest is 10.18.13.5887

Under Windows 7, monitor detection is performed by Windows' own CCD (Connecting and Configuring Displays) API, so it could be worth running a check on system file integrity:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/kb/929833

Before you look at potentially making any alterations to the system, do you have adequate system backup - any system partition image or similar? Apart from this just being good safe practice for an important computer, it can be useful if something annoying goes wrong during maintenance. For example, as per release notes, GeForce video drivers do not support rollback thru Windows restore, or removal through Device Manager. It can only safely be done thru Add and Remove Programs. If a video driver install becomes horribly corrupted (remote chance but not impossible), a good system backup can be a godsend.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users