Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MSFT....Trying to shoot themselves in the foot...?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 AM

Posted 04 November 2015 - 02:25 AM

http://www.howtogeek.com/geeknote/microsoft-is-trying-really-hard-to-shoot-themselves-in-the-foot/

Microsoft has great engineering teams that can put together top-notch technology —

Windows 10 is a very good operating system, the Surface line is the best hardware you can get, and Office 365 makes a lot of sense.

But they continually shoot themselves in the foot and make their customers angry.

Windows 10’s Reputation Has Suffered Because of Microsoft’s Failings

And then they decided to do really dumb things like add a ridiculous amount of data collection — what many critics call “spying” — and not give people an easy option to turn it off.

Even business customers can’t turn it all off unless they get the Enterprise version, and the off switch wasn’t enabled at launch.

Don’t get us started on all the other reasons why people say it’s terrible.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jargos

jargos

• Members
  • 705 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 04 November 2015 - 05:35 AM

(condobloke - from your last link in above post)

The Start Menu is Flashy and Missing Basic Functionality

RELATED ARTICLE
ximg_55bfebf0806c0.png.pagespeed.ic.jw5P
The Start Menu Should Be Sacred (But It’s Still a Disaster in Windows 10)
The Start Menu is a staple of the Windows experience and should be streamlined, efficient, and unmolested by the greater... [Read Article]

After years of using Windows 8 and then 8.1, any Start menu at all seems like a huge upgrade. But Windows 10’s Start menu actually isn’t all that great when you compare it to Windows 7’s. Microsoft added flashy live tiles and removed useful features. It may not work as well as it used to, but it does bombard you with information about hamburgers and Lady Gaga and football when you open it.

.. and Candy Crush .. don't forget the CANDY CRUSH !

Edited by jargos, 04 November 2015 - 05:36 AM.

Linux Mint 17.2 Cinnamon on older, Pentium 4 desktop.

Win 7 on Medion Akoya i3 laptop

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,496 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 04 November 2015 - 06:34 AM

A brief search on the web gives info on how to prevent the ads from showing in the Start Menu.

QUOTE: Right click the ad (which Microsoft labels as "Suggested" rather than as an ad), and then select "Don't show this suggestion," if you don't want to see that particular ad anymore, or "Turn off all suggestions" if you want the ads killed altogether.

You can also go to Settings-->Personalization-->Start and then turn off "Occasionally show suggestions in Start."

stop_windows_10_ads-100622292-primary.id

Then there is this for those who haven't yet been tricked into installing 10....

How to block the Windows 10 upgrade | PCWorld

Edited by buddy215, 04 November 2015 - 07:02 AM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 04 November 2015 - 08:16 AM

Seems like Adrian Kingsley-Hughes at ZDnet is trying to turn this whole issue into an open letter to MSFT, here.  It was just posted to ZDnet an hour ago.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#5 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 AM

Posted 04 November 2015 - 03:33 PM

quoting from that article in brainout's post #4.......

Microsoft is collecting telemetry from PCs running Windows 10 and I'm OK with that, but what I'm not OK with is the fact that there's no off switch. In fact, I can't understand why Microsoft wants to get into a privacy brawl with Windows 10 users at such a critical time.

OK, let's see if it's possible to have a rational discussion about the way Windows 10 collects telemetry data without the Microsoft fans claiming that this is all FUD or the haters calling this a privacy catastrophe.....

THE LINK      Have a Read

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#6 jargos

jargos

• Members
  • 705 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 04 November 2015 - 07:18 PM

Microsoft is collecting telemetry from PCs running Windows 10 and I'm OK with that, but what I'm not OK with is the fact that there's no off switch. In fact, I can't understand why Microsoft wants to get into a privacy brawl with Windows 10 users at such a critical time.

OK, let's see if it's possible to have a rational discussion about the way Windows 10 collects telemetry data without the Microsoft fans claiming that this is all FUD or the haters calling this a privacy catastrophe.....

But you see, no OFF switch IS the very beginnings of a privacy catastrophe, unless you feel that MSFT (or anyone else with no off switch to it's collection of your data) will suddenly place some limitation upon itself. Do you or anyone else, see this happening ? I don't. They will continue to get away with as much as they can get away with.

Linux Mint 17.2 Cinnamon on older, Pentium 4 desktop.

Win 7 on Medion Akoya i3 laptop

#7 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,789 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 PM

Posted 04 November 2015 - 08:09 PM

I've read the link, and really wish we could have a rational discussion, but the author is certainly not doing that.   First, he quotes Microsoft's Belfiore:  "And in the cases where we've not provided options," Belfiore went on to say, "we feel that those things have to do with the health of the system, and are not personal information or are not related to privacy."   Looking at the information you've posted regarding Spybot Anti-Beacon, it appears that this assertion is essentially true.

Later the author, Adrian Kingsley-Hughes, goes on to state the following:

"And be in no doubt that when it comes to the transfer of data from user's PC to a third party -- even if the data is anonymised and contains nothing but technical gobbledygook related to system health -- this will be a privacy issue."

To which I respond:  Huh?!!   Anonymised data regarding hardware/system health can not accurately be called "private" in any meaningful sense of the word.  It is not personally identifiable, which pretty much removes it from the realm of "private" right there.  I doubt that any user of any computer or software that is connected to the internet is under the misapprehension that absolutely nothing about their system ever gets sent to various third parties as part of usual maintenance, updates, and process improvement programs.   A great deal of this was opt-out, and it's the few rather than the many who bothered to opt out of this sort of data collection.

As computing environments continue to become ever more complex, dynamic, and interconnected - and most of that at the behest of users - basic telemetry that does not involve personally identifiable information is going to be essential to keep things running smoothly.  If companies (and, yes, I do mean that in the plural) are up front about the fact that they are collecting this kind of information as a part of the contract for using their product(s) they are being neither underhanded or heavy handed.

The whole end of the article is basically saying that this is "an optics" issue for Microsoft, rather than Microsoft actually doing anything nefarious, and that's absolutely what it is.

I wish Microsoft would introduce the ability for the user to turn off all telemetry in one-click just so the people the author characterizes as "the crackpot theorists" would just move along and quiet down.

I'm far more concerned about what can be collected that comes from using Microsoft Services, but they're no different than most other service providers and the information we're talking about here (for the most part) is being placed into public view on the internet.  We as individuals may have ownership of that content, but it is utterly meaningless to call it private if it's placed on the internet in public view by any mechanism in existence.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,822 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2015 - 08:27 PM

What Microsoft should do is allow telemetry to be turned completely off as allowed for Enterprises. 

#9 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,789 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2015 - 08:34 PM

What Microsoft should do is allow telemetry to be turned completely off as allowed for Enterprises. 

At this juncture, I absolutely agree.  I really don't think it will have any huge effect on their data collection, either, as it's a minority of people who believe that anonymized data regarding hardware, software, and system health is private.  Things that clearly do involve personally identifiable data should always be optional as far as supplying it (and, sadly, the majority isn't particularly vigilant about this, either).

It also wouldn't hurt for them to be absolutely clear about the nature of what's gathered by each telemetry function so that people can make an informed decision about whether they consider that information private or whether they're perfectly OK with its collection.

It would give those who object what they want and at minimal cost technologically and be a big PR boost.

I don't think they should back down on the requirement for applying OS updates, though, and that's based on my professional experience.  There's far more risk from ignoring known risks, which is what the vast majority of updates address, than there is from any given update causing problems (though a few certainly do, and those tend to be either temporarily rolled back or fixed quickly).

Edited by britechguy, 04 November 2015 - 08:36 PM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,822 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2015 - 08:53 PM

The only thing I would quantify on the OS updates is driver updates should be optional. I don't know if this has been changed but driver updates should not be part of the mandatory OS/Security updates.

#11 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,789 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2015 - 09:05 PM

John,

You can do this.  

1. Open the System settings (either via Control Panel or Settings - search for System)
  2. Click Advanced Settings link in System Dialog
  3. Click Hardware Tab in the System Properties Dialog
  4. Click the Device Installation Settings button.
  5. Select the "No, let me choose what to do" radio button.
  6. Select the "Never install driver update software from Windows Update" radio button.
  7. Click the Save Changes button

It's not easy or obvious how to do it, but the capacity to make this change is there.

~ Mark Twain

#12 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,081 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 PM

Posted 05 November 2015 - 02:07 PM

Post #8:

If they had done that, allowed any user who wanted to to turn telemetry off, then there wouldn't have been any of this controversy. Users who didn't want it would turn it off, users who didn't mind would leave it on, and because those who didn't like it would be able to turn it off no-one would have much cause to complain. It would have been much better business sense by ms to include an off switch, one which users could be sure worked, for if they had none of these debates would happen at all. It is only because users can't turn it off that this issue has become such big news.

It's ms's sudden desire to make everything in windows 10 mandatory which is causing the trouble, if they let people make their own decisions about things there would be no controversy. Mandatory things are always going to be unpopular, everyone wants the ABILITY to have control even if many people choose not to USE that ability a lot of the time.

Edited by rp88, 05 November 2015 - 02:10 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users