Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Am I infected? MY first post here

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 PADRAEG

PADRAEG

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 AM

Posted 03 November 2015 - 11:09 PM

Occasionally, my laptop Win10 just calls out a siren dound, which has scared me for about 3 months now. I've run IoBit, and Comodo Security, but siren persists. 

About 2 months ago, I upgraded to Win10, which did fix one big problem on my Win7, ie, chrome would not open at all. It was still there, as I could still import all bookmarks to FireFox, but Chrome would simply not launch. That problem seemed to coincide with beginning of my loud siren. 

Any help appreciated. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,498 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 04 November 2015 - 07:33 AM

Welcome to BC !

Whatever is causing the 'siren' sound is likely an alert from the hardware that something is wrong.

I would NOT recommend using either Comodo Security or IoBit. Both are known to be a source of adware and are not that effective...

especially IoBit. Suggest you uninstall both.

Use Download Revo Uninstaller Freeware in Advanced Mode to uninstall those two programs and Google Chrome.

Once you have done the above, run the programs below to clean up the computer.

Use CCleaner to remove Temporary files, program caches, cookies, logs, etc. Use the Default settings. No need to use the

Registry Cleaning Tool...risky. Pay close attention while installing and UNcheck offers of toolbars....especially Google.

After install, open CCleaner and run by clicking on the Run Cleaner button in the bottom right corner.

CCleaner - PC Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download

Open CCleaner and click on Tools, Uninstall. Look through the list of installed programs and uninstall any remaining program

mentioning IoBit and Comodo. You can uninstall by clicking on each item found and then choosing Uninstall on the right.

Download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from Here

Double-click mbam-setup-2.X.X.XXXX.exe to install the application (X's are the current version number).

• Make sure a checkmark is placed next to Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
  • Once MBAM opens, when it says Your databases are out of date, click the Fix Now button.
  • Click the Settings tab at the top, and then in the left column, select Detections and Protections, and if not already checked place a checkmark in the selection box for Scan for rootkits.
  • Click the Scan tab at the top of the program window, select Threat Scan and click the Scan Now button.
  • If you receive a message that updates are available, click the Update Now button (the update will be downloaded, installed, and the scan will start).
  • When MBAM is finished scanning it will display a screen that displays any malware that it has detected.
  • Click the Remove Selected button.
  • MBAM will now delete all of the files and registry keys and add them to the programs quarantine. When removing the files, MBAM may require a reboot in order to remove some of them. If it displays a message stating that it needs to reboot, please allow it to do so.
  • While still on the Scan tab, click the link for View detailed log, and in the window that opens click the Export button, select Text file (*.txt), and save the log to your Desktop.
  • The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can also be viewed by clicking the History tab and then selecting Application Logs.

POST THE LOG FOR  REVIEW.

Download AdwCleaner by Xplode onto your desktop.

• Close all open programs and internet browsers.
  • Double click on adwcleaner.exe to run the tool.
  • Click on Scan button.
  • When the scan has finished click on Clean button.
  • Your computer will be rebooted automatically. A text file will open after the restart.
  • Please post the contents of that logfile with your next reply.
  • You can find the logfile at C:\AdwCleaner[S1].txt as well.
  • download Junkware Removal Tool to your desktop.
  • Shut down your protection software now to avoid potential conflicts.
  • Run the tool by double-clicking it. If you are using Windows Vista, 7, or 8; instead of double-clicking, right-mouse click JRT.exe and select "Run as Administrator".
  • The tool will open and start scanning your system.
  • Please be patient as this can take a while to complete depending on your system's specifications.
  • On completion, a log (JRT.txt) is saved to your desktop and will automatically open.
  • Post the contents of JRT.txt into your next message
  • Hold down Control and click on this link to open ESET OnlineScan in a new window.
  • Click the esetonlinebtn.png button.
  • For alternate browsers only: (Microsoft Internet Explorer users can skip these steps)
  • Click on esetsmartinstaller_enu.exe to download the ESET Smart Installer. Save it to your desktop.
  • Double click on the esetsmartinstaller_enu.png icon on your desktop.
  • Check "YES, I accept the Terms of Use."
  • Click the Start button.
  • Accept any security warnings from your browser.
  • Under scan settings, check "Scan Archives" and "Remove found threats"
  • ESET will then download updates for itself, install itself, and begin scanning your computer. Please be patient as this can take some time.
  • When the scan completes, click List Threats
  • Click Export, and save the file to your desktop using a unique name, such as ESETScan. Include the contents of this report in your next reply.
  • Click the Back button.
  • Click the Finish button.
  • NOTE:Sometimes if ESET finds no infections it will not create a log.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 PADRAEG

PADRAEG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2015 - 02:56 PM

Hello BC advisor of Tenn -

I tried my best to make it all the way, & up to the step copied below, I think it went quite well. THANK YOU!

However, it is > 3 hrs, & I suspect there is no report JRT.txt forthcoming. I've noticed at least 3x, my screen flashes 'extracting' for 2 seconds the returns to the small window "Administrator: Junkware Removal Tool by Malwareb..." stating 'checking for update'

What would be the downside to assuming this is an adequate response to proceed to the next phase, or any other alternatives?

All my security has been removed: IoBit & Commodo, search for 'JRT.txt' found nothing.

• download Junkware Removal Tool to your desktop.
  • Shut down your protection software now to avoid potential conflicts.
  • Run the tool by double-clicking it. If you are using Windows Vista, 7, or 8; instead of double-clicking, right-mouse click JRT.exe and select "Run as Administrator".
  • The tool will open and start scanning your system.
  • Please be patient as this can take a while to complete depending on your system's specifications.
  • THIS IS WHERE I AM UP TO RIGHT NOW - NOTHING for the JRT.txt
  • On completion, a log (JRT.txt) is saved to your desktop and will automatically open.
  • Post the contents of JRT.txt into your next message

Thanks much,

Patrick

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,498 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2015 - 03:06 PM

Exit JRT....I may ask you to try it later. Were you attempting to run it from the desktop or some other location....downloads, for example?

Please post the results of both MBAM and AdwCleaner and proceed to run the Eset Online Scanner.

Edited by buddy215, 13 November 2015 - 03:14 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 PADRAEG

PADRAEG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2015 - 05:01 PM

Ok, JRT has also been indicating that it "found updates, pls wait" at least 6x, but never anything more.

I am running on my laptop desktop, just updated my LapTop profile at BleepingComputer

Here is the text of "AdwCleaner[C1].txt"  -  I see no one to attach the complete file, ok?

# AdwCleaner v5.019 - Logfile created 13/11/2015 at 03:09:51
# Updated 08/11/2015 by Xplode
# Database : 2015-11-09.1 [Server]
# Operating system : Windows 10 Home  (x64)
# Username : PADRAEG - PADRAEG-PC
# Running from : C:\Users\PADRAEG\Desktop\AdwCleaner.exe
# Option : Cleaning
# Support : http://toolslib.net/forum

***** [ Services ] *****

***** [ Folders ] *****

[-] Folder Deleted : C:\ProgramData\apn
[-] Folder Deleted : C:\ProgramData\Premium
[-] Folder Deleted : C:\Users\PADRAEG\AppData\Local\PackageAware
[-] Folder Deleted : C:\Users\PADRAEG\AppData\Local\Comodo\Dragon\User Data\Default\Extensions\daagpplbhllcgijggohnbciehkhdpdgm
[-] Folder Deleted : C:\Users\PADRAEG\AppData\LocalLow\Codecv
[-] Folder Deleted : C:\Users\PADRAEG\AppData\Roaming\pccustubinstaller

***** [ Files ] *****

[-] File Deleted : C:\Users\PADRAEG\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Local Storage\chrome-extension_oglbipcbkmlknhfhabolnniekmlhfoek_0.localstorage
[-] File Deleted : C:\Users\PADRAEG\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\uonatlfg.default-1407608155109\user.js

***** [ DLLs ] *****

***** [ Shortcuts ] *****

***** [ Scheduled tasks ] *****

***** [ Registry ] *****

[-] Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\AppID\BackgroundHost.EXE
[-] Value Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\MAIN\FeatureControl\FEATURE_BROWSER_EMULATION [BackgroundHost.exe]
[-] Value Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\MAIN\FeatureControl\FEATURE_WEBOC_MOVESIZECHILD [BackgroundHost.exe]
[-] Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\AppID\{18B9B16E-716F-43DF-A6AD-512C7D2EB983}
[-] Key Deleted : HKCU\Software\IM
[-] Key Deleted : HKCU\Software\ImInstaller
[-] Key Deleted : HKCU\Software\OutfoxTV
[-] Key Deleted : HKCU\Software\AppDataLow\Software\Freecause
[-] Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\{3A7D3E19-1B79-4E4E-BD96-5467DA2C4EF0}
[-] Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\ImInstaller
[-] Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{2EF17083-57D4-4D64-AE4F-55F32A2C4571}
[-] Key Deleted : HKU\.DEFAULT\Software\VNT

***** [ Web browsers ] *****

[-] [C:\Users\PADRAEG\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\uonatlfg.default-1407608155109\prefs.js] [Preference] Deleted : user_pref("extensions.dashlane.safesearchcapable", false);
[-] [C:\Users\PADRAEG\AppData\Local\Comodo\Dragon\User Data\Default\Web Data] [Search Provider] Deleted : ask.com
[-] [C:\Users\PADRAEG\AppData\Local\Comodo\Dragon\User Data\Default\Web Data] [Search Provider] Deleted : aol.com
[-] [C:\Users\PADRAEG\AppData\Local\Comodo\Dragon\User Data\Default\Secure Preferences] [Extension] Deleted : daagpplbhllcgijggohnbciehkhdpdgm

:: "Tracing" keys removed
:: Winsock settings cleared

########## EOF - C:\AdwCleaner\AdwCleaner[C1].txt - [2793 bytes] ##########

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,498 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2015 - 06:16 PM

You posted the AdwCleaner log correctly...no need to try to attach.

Waiting to see the MBAM log.

#7 PADRAEG

PADRAEG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2015 - 07:40 PM

My MBAM generated no log. I have a problem I failed to notice hours ago... It won't update, stating I am not connected to web, BUT I AM.

Evidently I am forbid to post image of that failure here.

I NOW notice several sites won't load, stating they are not connected.

Same inconsistency for IE, which I had wanted to use for direct link to ESET,

I'd like to re-install IE, but only way I know to uninstall is with IoBit uninstaller?

Maybe 'BING, or EDGE' may be causing problems?

I'm lost!

#8 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,498 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2015 - 08:23 PM

I think it best, based on what you report, to start a new topic in the Malware Removal Forum.

Please follow the instructions in the Malware Removal and Log Section Preparation Guide starting at Step 6.

• If you cannot complete a step, then skip it and continue with the next.
  • In Step 6 there are instructions for downloading and running FRST which will create two logs.

When you have done that, post your logs in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum, NOT here, for assistance by the Malware Response Team.

Start a new topic, give it a relevant title and post your log(s) along with a brief description of your problem, a summary of any anti-malware tools you have used and a summary of any steps that you have performed on your own. If you cannot produce any of the required logs...start the new topic anyway. Explain that you followed the Prep. Guide, were unable to create the logs, and describe what happened when you tried to create them. A member of the Malware Removal Team will walk you through, step by step, on how to clean your computer.

After doing this, please reply back in this thread with a link to the new topic so we can close this one.

DO NOT bump your new topic. Wait for a response from one of the Team Members.

#9 PADRAEG

PADRAEG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2015 - 02:00 AM

Below is the text of MBAM LOG, finally, I had to search for it. Seems NO malicious items detected.

I think my confusion caused by Win10, Edge & IE trying to control download location, etc.

JunkWareRemovalTool log, below shows its primary status for 6 hrs x2.

It seems plausible that there is no update, despite its claim that there is, & it stated there is no junk.

So that alarm/siren is generated by some malware, whose only damage for 3 months now is to Windows Win10/7, IE &/or EDGE.

I scanned with JRT, & it found nothing, although it did not generate any log - (I searched for it).

THIS ESET ONLINE SCANNER is for me the final failure. There must be another alternative to scan for virus/malware.

Please tell me if BLEEPINGComputer has one of those?

Cannot get update... IS PROXY CONFIGURED?  that is just way over my head.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
www.malwarebytes.org

Scan Date: 13-Nov-15
Scan Time: 19:52
Logfile: MBAM 13nov2015 21h.txt
Administrator: Yes

Version: 2.2.0.1024
Malware Database: v2015.09.22.05
Rootkit Database: v2015.09.18.01
License: Free
Malware Protection: Disabled
Malicious Website Protection: Disabled
Self-protection: Disabled

CPU: x64
File System: NTFS
User: PADRAEG

Scan Type: Threat Scan
Result: Completed
Objects Scanned: 430746
Time Elapsed: 1 hr, 4 min, 32 sec

Memory: Enabled
Startup: Enabled
Filesystem: Enabled
Archives: Enabled
Rootkits: Enabled
Heuristics: Enabled
PUP: Enabled
PUM: Enabled

Processes: 0
(No malicious items detected)

Modules: 0

Registry Keys: 0

Registry Values: 0

Registry Data: 0

Folders: 0

Files: 0

Physical Sectors: 0

(end)

#10 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,498 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2015 - 04:33 AM

Like I said in post #8...start a new topic in the Malware Removal Forum.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users