Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Loud horn sound when volume is turned up

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 bdplayer81

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Local time:08:22 PM

Posted 03 November 2015 - 10:41 PM

Hi guys,

A problem I've just started noticing is that when I turn up the volume on my Acer Switch 10, when I get to about 95% it starts to sound like it's in a tin can, and then when it gets to 100% it sounds like a horn blaring.  I have turned off the microphone as I've read in other forums that that can cause issues but that hasn't alleviated the problem.  I'm hoping someone has some ideas.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

• 13,221 posts
  • Local time:01:22 PM

Posted 03 November 2015 - 11:08 PM

Most likely you're just overdriving the little internal speakers, this results in high distortion which typically sounds like honking. And if they're pushed hard that way for some time they get worse and honk more easily.

Sound system levels are normally set so that there's reserve for quiet levels (e.g. someone records the sound in a clip too quiet) to be boosted up to be high enough to hear well. That means on a normally loud source, using 95-100% is just thrashing the speakers.

Edit: unless you mean the effect occurs regardless of whether any sound is being played or not, if it howls when there should otherwise be silence then that would indicate the microphone isn't actually being turned off.

Edited by Platypus, 03 November 2015 - 11:24 PM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users