Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Do they still sell Windows 7?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 lostsoul65

lostsoul65

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 PM

Posted 03 November 2015 - 08:48 PM

I'm building another computer and I can't say I like windows 10 much. Everywhere I go it's an OEM, so do they still sell Windows 7 Home 64 bit full version (Not OEM)?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 PM

Posted 03 November 2015 - 08:55 PM

OEM Version is basically the full version, just for system builders. So to answer your question yes. I bought an "OEM" Windows 7 CD when I built my PC and its no different than the "full version".

John 3:16

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#3 lostsoul65

lostsoul65
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 PM

Posted 03 November 2015 - 09:29 PM

There is a lot of difference in the OS software, like if your computer gets trashed, but I'm afraid I'm going to just have to buy the OEM because there is no more Non OEM OS's.

Edited by lostsoul65, 03 November 2015 - 09:52 PM.

#4 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 PM

Posted 04 November 2015 - 12:04 AM

It is possible to still get retail versions from eBay. Quite inexpensively. And no, not all eBay sellers are crooks. Just use good common sense.

Search eBay for  "Windows 7 Full Retail."

I never make the same mistake twice....I always make it 5 or 6 times just to be sure!

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 04 November 2015 - 11:09 AM

FWIW:  http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Premium-System-Builder-Packaging/dp/B00H09BB16 and http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Windows-Premium-Genuine-Product/dp/B012LLEIUS/ref=sr_1_3?s=software&ie=UTF8&qid=1446652661&sr=1-3&keywords=Windows+7+Home+Premium+Retail+version .

The only difference between the two (System Builder and Full) is that the license for any System Builder version is tied to the system installed...whereas the license for Full versions can travel to a replacement system.

In actuality...there is no difference.  A System Builder license can be moved to a replacement system that is built (I have done this with both XP and Win 7) legally, with the only possible hiccup being an explanation of why there is a replacement system.  Well...I will correct my assertion, there is one difference.  A System Builder license was never intended to be used to install Win 7 on an OEM (HP, Dell, etc.) system...but many users have nuked OEM systems and installed System Builder editions and, using the license that accompanies the System Builder edition (not the OEM license) encountered no problem.

In short...as long as a user is not attempting to use an OEM (Dell, HP, et alia) license...to activate an install done with either the System Builder or the Full version...there is no problem encountered by the user.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users