Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Creating Extremely Simple Pages For Own Usage: Stop Using Font Tags?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 larrytxeast

larrytxeast

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 PM

Posted 03 November 2015 - 05:35 PM

Some Background

A semi-computer techie in the eyes of those who know me, I'm sort of a "Deluxe Clerical Person" or an "extremely Jr IT Tech Person," one might say. I can do some Visual Basic and SQL in Access, I know how to build my own systems, I know what system imaging is, I can do a tiny little bit of HTML, I know how to install drivers etc. I think the term for someone like me would be "power user."

One thing I used to do years ago, which had lay dormant until recently--designing small 1-3 user Access databases, and as part of that process I would document what I learned along the way as a "self-taught" type by making simple web-pages of tips on how to do things. These web pages were EXTREMELY simple, and I would keep "local" copies of them so that I could view and copy their contents at a PC even if i had no Internet connection. This was some 10-odd years ago when Wi-Fi "hot-spots" weren't so common. I would also, however, FTP these pages to somewhere like lycos or angelfire--not very professional types of sites at all, but at least I'd have access to these pages in the Internet realm. I would use the (then) well-regarded program "Arachnophilia" for these pages.

My Question

The thing is, as I've said, I've resumed doing this as of late, and in fact I picked right back up using Arachnophilia again, even though I'm using the "classic" version that's at least 10 years old, as the current version doesn't run in Windows, it has to run in a Java runtime environment or such. The main thing is this--this program uses "font" tags for things like font-size and color etc, vs using "Span Style" tags or whatever. The thing is, I know NOTHING about those tags, whereas  things like "a href" and "font color=#A000" and "pre" and such come to me fairly easily. It took me no time, after all of those years of my not doing of this, to resume right back where I left off.

It's especially tempting to keep on doings that way since (1) I know NOTHING about "style" and "span" etc whatsoever and (2) the pages I've made using "font" etc, they still "render" entirely correctly when viewing within the current Firefox browser. HOWEVER, I do know that tags like "font" are no longer used and support for them may one day disappear to where the pages no longer render properly.

Thus--what would be a good way to "convert" these pages to the current version? What would be a good freeware webpage editor, one that works like Arachnophilia in that you install it on your machine and this creation takes place locally vs being a "cloud" website-based editor? (I am open to those as well, though.) Arachnophilia, by the way, worked as a text editor vs a "WYSIWYG" editor, but I'm open to either type (I may actually prefer WYSIWYG since I'd know nothing at all about the code?)

Also, though, I'd want one that doesn't create "bloated" code such as needlessly repeating "span" for every single paragraph even when the formatting hasn't changed. This one online creator I used--it would create TONS of this code for every single line entry, making it an eye-crossing experience to even ATTEMPT to look at the code and try and figure out what's going on.

Sorry if the posting is so long. I guess I could've just said "should I stop using font and start using span style" and "what are good freeware locally installed editors for doing that and "which ones don't generate 'bloated' code?"

Edited by larrytxeast, 03 November 2015 - 05:40 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jormeno1982

Jormeno1982

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 PM

Posted 04 November 2015 - 05:09 PM

All I have to say is study up on HTML 5 on w3schools.com. You can use those tags but HTML 5 is much more efficient.

Don't settle for less, even a genius asks his questions. - 2pac

#3 Peter Cabrera

Peter Cabrera

• Banned Spammer
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 AM

Posted 06 November 2015 - 06:38 AM

The best thing is learn HTML 5 and CSS3. And there are a lot of css frameworks which you can also try.

#4 larrytxeast

larrytxeast
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 PM

Posted 06 November 2015 - 11:09 PM

Yes, that's what I've ended up doing. None of the free WYSIWYG editors did as I liked--one (Amaya) didn't retain any of the formatting when I copied/pasted the old pages, the other (Kompozer) took the copy-paste much better but tended towards creating the very font tags I was trying to avoid vs generating SPAN STYLE tags.

What did work was copying-pasting the original page into a webpage-based WYSIWYG editor called TinyMCE Editor (http://www.quackit.com/html/html_editors/tinymce_editor.cfm) removing the formatting and then copying-pasting the resulting code into a text editor; I used Notepad++. I learned enough to set up a simple external CSS style sheet which greatly simplified formatting the headers etc. I figured out how to set p2 and cm styles for the code (p2 for the code, cm for color-coding the comments green within the code), the headers, and just enough of the SPAN STYLE tag to do "on the fly" color adjustments etc for certain lines. Once I warmed up to it, I got to rolling pretty good with it.

I'd simply copy-paste the pages into a WYSIWYG and then save the code, but ones I've tried tended to put SPAN tags for every single line vs just what it really needed to do, making it a bloated mess. Fine, I guess until I find an editor that does (or learn how to work other ones better), I'll just do much of it myself. (BlueGriffon looks promising, http://www.bluegriffon.org/)

Edited by larrytxeast, 06 November 2015 - 11:17 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users