Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Have Virus But All Malware Scans Freeze

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Mnementh

Mnementh

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 PM

Posted 21 July 2006 - 10:26 AM

Hey, Iím really stuck on a problem and I hope someone can help me.

A few days ago, my AVG Free informed me that a virus had been found, so I performed a full system scan. Unfortunately, the scan froze a few minutes after it began, and I had to terminate the program because it wasnít responding. Then I ran Spybot and AdAware. AdAware ran for about 5 minutes, picking up 2 critical objects, and then also decided to freeze. With Spybot, the scan was ridiculously slow, but was still scanning at least. Then, after 5 hours, it too decided to freeze. I ran these programs again, thinking I could pause or stop the scan after an infection was found and try and remove it there and then, but I couldnít, because it would just freeze as soon as I hit pause and/or stop. They donít all freeze at the same point either, in case that matters (though both AVG, McAfee Stinger and McAfee Online froze at "activeskin.ocx").

Then I ran Trend Micro Housecall, Ewido, Panda, and a-squared online scanners. All these programs, after scanning through a few files, would freeze and become unresponsive. No error messages or anything. I downloaded the Ewido Anti-Spyware software, which did the same thing. There was definitely some sort of pattern emerging here.

I thought perhaps there were inconsistencies in my hard drive that were causing problems in the scan, so I ran chkdsk, which told me everything was fine.

Now before some of these programs froze, they picked up a few things. Trend Micro picked up "dowloader_zlob" and "adware_abetterinternet", and Ewido picked up "downloader.agent.uj". My PC started doing funny things anyway, like redirecting my searches and slowing down my internet connection enormously (Trend Micro Housecall actually warned me that my connection was ďextremely slowĒ Ė but I have 4 Mb line). Iíve tried finding instructions to remove these manually, but everything I found involved using an anti-virus program to scan my PC, which wouldnít work.
Some of the infected files that were identified seemed to be in the "system32" folder. Iíve tried opening the folder, but all I get is the Windows Ďsearchingí icon with the flashing torch, which never actually finds anything, even though I left it for an hour.

I am using Windows XP Pro, and I turned System Restore off a few years back. I havenít installed or uninstalled anything (knowingly) recently, or made any changes of any kind to my system. All the programs have the latest updates. Iíve run and re-run all the scans in Safe Mode in the vain hope they would finish. Iím now lost on how to proceed, and also developing an inexplicably violent disposition towards my computer.

This is all I can think of to include at the moment, please ask me if Iíve missed out something thatís important.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Starbuck

Starbuck

'r Brudiwr

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 PM

Posted 21 July 2006 - 01:50 PM

Hi,
with these problems i think your best bet is to submit a Hjt log to the forum and let one of the experts look over it and working together you can sort this out.
If you need a link as to what to do.... click this....Preparation Guide if you scroll down this link it will tell you exactly what to do.
Please remember..... once you submit a Hjt log...... please do not alter anything or try to change anything on your computer. (as this could well change your log)
Good luck.

BBPP6nz.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users