Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Backup to external HDD not making sense.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 evansstreet

evansstreet

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 PM

Posted 03 November 2015 - 11:49 AM

Hello.

I am running a 500GB hard drive in my desktop PC and am using Windows backup to an external 1Tb usb powered HDD.

The backup is scheduled for weekly backup. A check on the 500 GB desktop HDD shows I have 179GB of free space but the 1Tb external HDD shows I have only 7.9MB of free space!!  The external HDD is used exclusively for Windows backup.  I also backup my important music/photo etc files to a separate external HDD as a  double precaution.

Mathematically - 2x (500-179) = 642, so I should have 300+ Gb left on the 1Tb drive, even if the whole of my main HDD had been duplicated.

Am I doing something wrong as I thought Windows backup did an initial system image then updated only changed/added files?

I apologise if this is a silly question but don't understand why my external HDD is filling up.  Surely it will not be able to do a backup when next scheduled.

Is Windows backup a waste of time?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,004 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 PM

Posted 03 November 2015 - 12:03 PM

I think Microsoft keeps old backups and adds new ones to the hard drive. See this page. If you have extra backups see which ones you can delete. For file and image backups you may be better off using Aoemi Backupper Standard.

See this page also.

If you let Windows choose what is backed up, the following items are included in your backup:

• Data files that are saved in libraries, on the desktop, and in default Windows folders for all people with a user account on the computer.

Notes
    • Only local files in libraries are included in the backup. If you have files in a library that are saved on a drive located on a different computer on a network, on the Internet, on the same drive that you are saving the backup on, or on a drive that is not formatted using the NTFS file system, they aren't included in the backup.

• Default Windows folders include AppData, Contacts, Desktop, Downloads, Favorites, Links, Saved Games, and Searches.

• If the drive you are saving your backup on is formatted using the NTFS file system and has enough disk space, a system image of your programs, Windows, and all drivers and registry settings are also included in the backup. This image can be used to restore the contents of your computer if your hard drive or computer stops working. For more information, see What is a system image?

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 PM

Posted 03 November 2015 - 12:39 PM

You're asking very good questions!  Backups can be a combination of the following:  full-image, incremental, differential.  There will be lots of files repetitively backed up 'cause of constant newer being saved alongside older copies, and so on.  [JohnC and I posted at the same time.]

Edited by RolandJS, 04 November 2015 - 05:53 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#4 Bailifei

Bailifei

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2015 - 10:26 PM

I'm using easeus todo backup free to image the system, setting to delete the old images automatically. If you do incremental backups each week, you can set to only reserve the last few backups. But I'm afraid Windows backup cannot do this. 

#5 evansstreet

evansstreet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2015 - 04:12 AM

Thanks everyone for taking the trouble to reply.  As I see it then, Windows backup is best used 'manually' to do a fresh system image on say a weekly basis

rather than use its scheduler. 

I have a full version of Nero that has a backup facility.  Can anyone recommend using that?

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2015 - 05:55 AM

I think I remember hearing good things about Nero backup -- use it and restore a folder or a small of files now and then, make sure the backups are indeed restorable.  Over here, I use both Acronis True Image and Macrium Reflect Pro on 6 different external HDs - and yes, I too will test for restorability every now and then.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,874 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2015 - 02:33 PM

I would not recommend Nero Back It UP, regardless of version.  Seems all I've ever read about it is negative.  Examples.

Louis

#8 evansstreet

evansstreet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2015 - 03:42 PM

Thanks everybody for your valued input.  As I do not have massive amounts of important data to protect I have decided on this line of action.  I have a 500gb HDD in my pc,  separate external  500GB and 1Tb HDD's so  I shall do a system image on say a fortnightly basis alternating between external drives.  That way I will have a recovery system image no older than a week and any losses in between will be minor and probably recoverable from source.  Luckily I have no time constraints and can let the system get on with it while I'm out (or asleep!!)

I think we can now call this one closed, but thanks again.

'Bye for now.

Potter

#9 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2015 - 03:48 PM

I would not recommend Nero Back It UP, regardless of version.  Seems all I've ever read about it is negative.  Examples.

Louis

Thank for catching this! I had the wrong scuttlebutt.

Edited by hamluis, 05 November 2015 - 03:55 PM.

#10 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 AM

Posted 05 November 2015 - 08:13 PM

I am a little surprised at anything negative about NERO but then I remember it from the old days and never used their back up software. CD Burning Rom did everything I ever asked it to do but that was a few years ago. Now I can quit looking for my cd of it. I was thinking about installing it on here. Guess not now.

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

#11 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2015 - 09:54 PM

Macrium Reflect is one of the best freebies around.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users