To check for bad sectors you can use the chkdsk /r command.
Please run chkdsk /r
Chkdsk /r checks for bad sectors on the HDD and recovers any readable information.
Attention: If this is a SSD do not run the /r switch, instead run chkdsk /f.
Click on the Start orb
, then type in cmd
in the Search programs and files
box. When cmd
is seen in Programs
above the Search box right click on it, then click on Run as administrator
You will see a screen similar to the one below.
Copy and paste chkdsk /r in the command prompt, then press Enter. Please note: If this is a SSD, do not run the /r switch, use the /f switch.
You will receieve the message "CHKDSK cannot be run because it is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? <Y/N>".
Type in Y and press Enter.
Restart your computer to start the scan.
This will take a while to run, please be patient and allow it to complete the scan.
This will open Notepad with the results of the chkdsk scan. Please copy and then paste this log in your topic.
To test a hdd you can use Seatools for Windows. This will work with hdds from other manufacturers.
When the website opens scroll down till you find the I Accept button and click on it.
If you scroll down below this button you will find instruction for installing this.
Once you install this program you will see an image similar to the one below.
1. SeaTools for Windows will search for hdds on your computer. Please remove any external storage devices connected via USB port.
2. Detected Drives will list the hdd/s found. Place a check mark in the drive you want to run the scan on.
3. You will see Basic Tests above Detected Drives, move the mouse pointer over this.
4. A menu will open with options for different scans, please click on Long Generic Test
5. This will start the scan. When the scan is complete you will see the result under Test Status , please post the results in your topic.
6. When the scan is complete you will see Test results, post the status. If it is green it has passed the scan.
7. Click on Help, then click on View Log File. If the scan failed take a screen shot of the Log File and post it in your topic.