Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Now Android gets Snowden's preferred secure messaging app", via ZDNet

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 AM

Posted 03 November 2015 - 09:10 AM

Android smartphone owners who care about privacy in messaging have a new app available to them that will allow them to communicate securely with iPhone users.
Open Whisper Systems, the company behind Signal, has finally released a version of the private messaging app for Android. As former CIA hand Edward Snowden attested yesterday, he regularly uses Signal, which until Monday was only available for the iPhone.

I use Signal every day. #notesforFBI (Spoiler: they already know) https://t.co/KNy0xppsN0

-- Edward Snowden (@Snowden) November 2, 2015

Now Android gets Snowden's preferred secure messaging app

Anyone here is going to give Signal a try?

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 AM

Posted 20 November 2015 - 04:19 AM

I was looking at this a while back not sure how well it is...https://jitsi.org/

#3 Zahid Iqbal1

Zahid Iqbal1

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 PM

Posted 06 December 2015 - 02:08 AM

Have someone has experienced with it. I have to check some users experience of using this. Then i am going to give it a try

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2015 - 09:28 PM

I'll give it a try if I can convince some of my friends to install it. However I don't text a lot of people, and the ones I text aren't really tech-savy like me so they probably won't see the use in installing and using a such app :(

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,914 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2015 - 11:57 AM

The very drawback of these apps is that you have to have each side of the conversation using them, and that's not going to happen often.

I see no point to them, really, just because the nature of my texts and phone calls are so utterly innocuous.  If I were discussing trade secrets, corporate planning that would be very damaging were it to get out, or something of a similarly private nature I'd probably insist that my communication partner be using something like this due to the sensitive nature of the information being exchanged.

I just don't think that anyone is really interested about whether I'm getting together with friends on a Friday night.  Even if every last one of my texts and/or calls were to be passed through some sort of electronic screening I doubt that any of them would ever be passed on for actual human examination.  I also don't think that I am being perpetually watched intensively in any way, nor are the vast majority of people.

The above being said, I have nothing against using end-to-end encryption if that is something you want to do.  I just don't feel the need for myself.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users