Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Now Android gets Snowden's preferred secure messaging app", via ZDNet

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 AM

Posted 03 November 2015 - 09:10 AM

Android smartphone owners who care about privacy in messaging have a new app available to them that will allow them to communicate securely with iPhone users.
Open Whisper Systems, the company behind Signal, has finally released a version of the private messaging app for Android. As former CIA hand Edward Snowden attested yesterday, he regularly uses Signal, which until Monday was only available for the iPhone.

I use Signal every day. #notesforFBI (Spoiler: they already know) https://t.co/KNy0xppsN0

-- Edward Snowden (@Snowden) November 2, 2015

Now Android gets Snowden's preferred secure messaging app

Anyone here is going to give Signal a try?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 AM

Posted 20 November 2015 - 04:19 AM

I was looking at this a while back not sure how well it is...https://jitsi.org/

#3 Zahid Iqbal1

Zahid Iqbal1

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 PM

Posted 06 December 2015 - 02:08 AM

Have someone has experienced with it. I have to check some users experience of using this. Then i am going to give it a try

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2015 - 09:28 PM

I'll give it a try if I can convince some of my friends to install it. However I don't text a lot of people, and the ones I text aren't really tech-savy like me so they probably won't see the use in installing and using a such app :(

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,147 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2015 - 11:57 AM

The very drawback of these apps is that you have to have each side of the conversation using them, and that's not going to happen often.

I see no point to them, really, just because the nature of my texts and phone calls are so utterly innocuous.  If I were discussing trade secrets, corporate planning that would be very damaging were it to get out, or something of a similarly private nature I'd probably insist that my communication partner be using something like this due to the sensitive nature of the information being exchanged.

I just don't think that anyone is really interested about whether I'm getting together with friends on a Friday night.  Even if every last one of my texts and/or calls were to be passed through some sort of electronic screening I doubt that any of them would ever be passed on for actual human examination.  I also don't think that I am being perpetually watched intensively in any way, nor are the vast majority of people.

The above being said, I have nothing against using end-to-end encryption if that is something you want to do.  I just don't feel the need for myself.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users