Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Anti ad-block firm PageFair becomes cyberattack victim, distributes malware",ZD

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 03 November 2015 - 09:06 AM

Over 500 websites were compromised over the weekend due to analytics software provided to publishers by PageFair.
Mobile ad-blocking is a hot topic. Browser add-ons and mobile apps are slowly rising in popularity with consumers looking for a cleaner Web experience, but as a result, content publishers relying on advertising models which pay out for eyeballs and clicks are steadily losing revenue.

Many publishers use third-parties to provide ads -- which, unfortunately, can also sometimes allow malware to slip through the net and compromise websites and visitor systems. This technique, known as malvertising, has struck high-profile targets such as Yahoo and UK newspaper The Daily Mail.

Anti ad-block firm PageFair becomes cyberattack victim, distributes malware

I don't know if web owners now realizes that sometimes, we don't want ads on a website because of the risk of being infected by hijacked one (malvertising). This isn't even about revenue anymore, this is about staying safe and not getting hit by an EK with Cryptowall 3.0 in it. Now if even Anti ad-block companies can get hacked and used to distribute malware, what options do we have left? I understand that ads are necessary for the survival of a website, but is it really worth the risk of getting your visitors infected for displaying them?

Anti-adblocker firm PageFair's users hit by fake Flash update
Hackers use anti-adblocking service to deliver nasty malware attack

Edited by Aura, 03 November 2015 - 01:40 PM.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,069 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 PM

Posted 04 November 2015 - 01:23 PM

Pagefair does what precisely then? By "anti-ad-block firm" do you mean that pagefair does things to try and develop adverts which can circumvent blocks and/or they develop pages for websites which refuse to load the main content properly if they detect adverts on them are being blocked?
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#3 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 04 November 2015 - 02:25 PM

or they develop pages for websites which refuse to load the main content properly if they detect adverts on them are being blocked?

That's pretty much it. In addition of providing statistics, data and analysis of how much revenues a website is losing because of adblocking and offers solutions.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users