Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Microsoft reneges on 'unlimited' OneDrive storage promise for Office 365", ZD

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 PM

Posted 03 November 2015 - 09:00 AM

Scrooge McDuck is now in charge of Microsoft's consumer cloud division.

That's not literally true, of course, but a surprise announcement tonight from the division responsible for the consumer OneDrive service could easily have been written by Mr. McDuck. The new rules roll back a signature feature of the OneDrive service and renege on an extravagant promise that the company made just over a year ago.

Source: Microsoft reneges on 'unlimited' OneDrive storage promise for Office 365 subscribers

I'm not really affected by the fact that there won't be unlimited storage, since 1TB is more than enough to work with Office documents, but this however...

Free OneDrive storage will decrease from 15 GB to 5 GB for all users, current and new. The 15 GB camera roll storage bonus will also be discontinued. These changes will start rolling out in early 2016.

It seems like I'll have to build my own private cloud to store my things and keep it accessible 24/7. Now I only have 7GB with Dropbox and 15GB with Google Drive.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,657 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2015 - 11:22 AM

Check out Mega. 50GB free with end to end encryption.

https://mega.co.nz/

#3 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2015 - 11:37 AM

I use mega.co.nz to host large files, I might consider switching to it full time, but I find Dropbox easier to use and I wanted to use OneDrive for some reason, but I forgot which one :P

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 AM

Posted 03 November 2015 - 02:47 PM

Microsoft has great engineering teams that can put together top-notch technology —

Windows 10 is a very good operating system, the Surface line is the best hardware you can get, and Office 365 makes a lot of sense.

But they continually shoot themselves in the foot and make their customers angry.

A little over a year ago, Microsoft announced with great fanfare that all Office 365 subscribers would get ‘unlimited’ OneDrive storage. Tonight, months after an executive shakeup, the company says it has no intention of keeping those promises.

Scrooge McDuck is now in charge of Microsoft’s consumer cloud division.

At some point Microsoft needs to learn that building a great product and having your customers spread the word is the best way to build your brand, and get people to use your product.

Early adopters are the people that immediately upgrade to the latest thing, and they are generally power users. If you don’t give them what they want, you’re going to have a bad time trying to convince the rest of the world to upgrade to your product.

It certainly seems to be true in this case — most of the help requests seen to disable the Windows 10 upgrade are from people who are also saying they don’t want to be spied on.

And the Windows 10 adoption rate appears to be slowing down even while Microsoft is pushing Windows 10 down people’s throats whether they want it or not.

(excerpts quoted from How-To Geek)

Edited by hamluis, 03 November 2015 - 03:58 PM.
Merged topics - Hamluis.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#5 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 AM

Posted 03 November 2015 - 03:58 PM

A little over a year ago, Microsoft announced that paid Office 365 Home and Personal subscribers would get, as part of their subscription, unlimited cloud storage on its OneDrive service. Yesterday, the company announced that it wasn't going to do that after all. It turns out that if you offer unlimited storage to people, a few of them actually take you at your word and trust that you are truly offering unlimited storage, and then they start using it.

Explaining the backtracking, the new blog post complains that a small number of paying customers were using OneDrive to store backups of multiple PCs and large collections of movies and TV shows. Some of these outliers used more than 75TB of space, which Microsoft says is 14,000 times the average (putting the average OneDrive user at about 5.5GB).

Instead, paid users will now receive only 1TB of storage, a reversion to the service's previous limit. The company is also removing its old 100GB and 200GB paid plans, replacing them with a 50GB plan at $1.99 a month. Free OneDrive storage is also being cut early next year, from 15GB to 5GB, and there's no more 15GB bonus for storing your camera roll in OneDrive. Going forward, OneDrive users with more than 1TB of data will have a one year grace period during which they can keep their large storage, after which they must cut back to below 1TB. Similarly, free users with more than 5GB of data will have a year after the change is made to reduce their usage to below the 5GB level.

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/11/microsoft-drops-unlimited-onedrive-storage-after-people-use-it-for-unlimited-storage/

My Opinion.

How dare people use unlimited storage on an unlimited storage service even if they are paying for it. Don't people know unlimited means 5 GiB.

Explaining the backtracking, the new blog post complains that a small number of paying customers were using OneDrive to store backups of multiple PCs and large collections of movies and TV shows

First they are paying customers,

Now for the big question,

How do MS know what people are storing? Oh yes they are looking at your files that's how and most likely reporting any DCMA breaches.

#6 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 AM

Posted 03 November 2015 - 04:56 PM

.......any one would think they were....MSFT !.......and therefore, not subject to the normalcy that the 'rest of us' are subject to.......

The very fact that " paying customers were using OneDrive to store backups of multiple PCs"....means that msft have a bonanza here....multiple sets of info to spy on/hoover up.....all in one tidy package.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#7 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 03 November 2015 - 07:17 PM

I saw this story elsewhere, but they included the allegation that one user had 76TB of data stored in OneDrive. That isn't just a truck load of data, it's a fleet of truck loads of data !  This is perhaps an example of one greedy so-and-so spoiling it for every one else.

5GB of document type files is quite a lot of files, but the general tone of the complaint is justified - it is a big drop from 'Unlimited'

Chris Cosgrove

#8 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,710 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2015 - 11:19 PM

See they sucker you in with a free OS or Unlimited storage then change the rules, This is what people who defend MS saying things like MS wont do this or that because of EULA are mistaken, MS just changes the EULA and the end user pays. I have said it before and will say it again.

Once most people are migrated by force to Win 10 there will be changes. I suspect things like

Disabling unauthorised software, If you didnt get it in the app store its unauthorised. This is in the EULA now.

No installing 3rd party EXE's unless its thru the app center, This way you can charge the developers for hosting it and the end user for downloading it, and all freeware will have adds.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,657 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2015 - 10:34 AM

Microsoft's OneDrive price hike has wrecked its cloud strategy

Comment Microsoft's changes to its OneDrive personal cloud storage prices reflect badly on the company, and have left users angry and bewildered.

Most people have at least 30GB of free OneDrive storage: 15GB as standard, and an additional 15GB bonus easily obtained by setting the camera roll on a mobile device to use OneDrive for image backup. An additional 100GB was available for $1.99 per month.

The cost of storage continues to fall; but Microsoft has gone against the trend by announcing greatly increased prices. Free storage decreases to 5GB and the 15GB camera roll bonus is discontinued, so typical users will go from 30GB to 5GB for free, a reduction of more than 80 per cent.

Further, the cost of buying extra storage is doubling, with just 50GB available for $1.99 per month.

I guess Microsoft has to make up for all those free Windows 10 licenses. Maybe it's costing more than they initially thought.

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2015 - 12:30 PM

Seems like a lot of people are going to move to Google Drive after this. Google Drive already offers unlimited storage for pictures of your device's camera (if you change them to HD and not original size), plus 15GB of free space. OneDrive was able to compete before (well almost, since the camera roll wasn't unlimited, but offered 15GB of space), but now OneDrive have nothing on Google Drive and it'll for sure lose customers that will migrate to Google after this move.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#11 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,067 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 04 November 2015 - 01:35 PM

"How do MS know what people are storing?"

When it comes to cloud storage I'm not so scared about the cloud company seeing the files I put in the cloud because I only upload files I wouldn't mind them seeing (I use google drive (accesssed through the browser) for some backups of some of my less prvate files). Any private files someone needs to put in cloud storage they could first encrypt with 7z or some other archiving program using an even stronger encyrpiton method. I've never considered stuff in the cloud to be highly private unless first placed in an encrypted archive. But ofcourse the sort of monitoring found in cloud storage websites would not be something I would accept or allow for files stored locally.

And post#3, I would turn to old unsupported XP before using an operating system that blocks the many third party programs I run. XP is only "broken" by it's lack of security patches, this can be slightly remedied by use of a lot of security tools (script blocking and anti-exploit tools especially) and system images (made with a third party tool ofcourse as xp lacks built-in image making tools) and some sort of whitelisting(only exe files the user allows (the user is the crucial phrase) can run) program. Anything that blocks all third party exe files and goes to an app-store-only model is "broken" in concept and principle as well as being useless to most people.

Edited by rp88, 04 November 2015 - 01:40 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#12 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,710 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2015 - 04:35 PM

Check out Mega. 50GB free with end to end encryption.

I would NOT use any product that Kim Dotcom is connected to, I still remember megaupload and all the stuff I lost.

I saw this story elsewhere, but they included the allegation that one user had 76TB of data stored in OneDrive. That isn't just a truck load of data, it's a fleet of truck loads of data !  This is perhaps an example of one greedy so-and-so spoiling it for every one else.

Sorry I disagree that person was paying for unlimited storage.

Unlimited.

not limited; unrestricted; unconfined:
unlimited trade.
boundless; infinite; vast:
the unlimited skies.
without any qualification or exception; unconditional.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,657 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2015 - 04:55 PM

I remember people losing data on Megaupload. I think Mega will not have that problem, but then again, I use it for backing up data so I have it in two locations. Mega and elseware. I can't complain about 50GB for free.

Edited by JohnC_21, 04 November 2015 - 04:55 PM.

#14 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2015 - 05:13 PM

Sorry I disagree that person was paying for unlimited storage.

Unlimited.

not limited; unrestricted; unconfined:
unlimited trade.
boundless; infinite; vast:
the unlimited skies.
without any qualification or exception; unconditional.

What if that person who uploading an abnormal amount of data, and also breaking the ToU?

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2013/05/fios-customer-discovers-the-limits-of-unlimited-data-77-tb-in-month/

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#15 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,710 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2015 - 05:26 PM

What if that person who uploading an abnormal amount of data,

That's why they are paying for unlimited. I think its bad form to call something unlimited then hide a clause on page 999 subsection6 paragraph 865 that says its only unlimited when there is a total eclipse type of thing.

Personal rant.

Its not just MS doing this, ISP's do it too, Unlimited ADSL $29.99 a month*. The * means terms and conditions, Like fair use policy applies and we will throttle your connection after 100 gb. They do stuff like that to sucker people in plain and simple.

Why are we allowing these people to change the meaning of the English language? Mean what you say, say what you mean.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users