Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Uninstalled IE 11 and 10, stuck at IE 8, can't re-install 10 or 11

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Christy42179

Christy42179

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 AM

Posted 03 November 2015 - 08:56 AM

Hi!  I've managed to get our computer into quite the mess, and I don't know how to fix it, and I really hope someone out there can help me!

We upgraded to IE 11 but didn't like the new version of outlook that came with it, so I uninstalled the update to bring it back to IE 10.  I then uninstalled that update to hopefully get us back to IE 9, but it reverted all the way back to IE 8.  We now seem to be stuck with IE 8, and when I try to install either IE 10 or IE 11, it goes through the entire installation process, but at the very end, gives an error message that Windows cannot finish the installation.  I went through all the troubleshooting steps I could fine - did a clean boot, tried to install it in safe mode, turned off the firewall, checked to make sure we have all of the pre-requisite updates and ISP-1 (which we have).  Also, now, we can't open Outlook on IE 8, when we had been able to do so before.  We can enter our username and password, but then it says "Page not found."  I'm just at a loss.  Microsoft customer support was no help, since I had already done the things they suggested.  We're running Windows 7.  Would it help to upgrade to Windows 10?  Should I try to install IE 9 and then try 10 or 11 from there?  Please, I hope someone can help!

Thank you,

Christy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jormeno1982

Jormeno1982

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2015 - 03:29 PM

Do you mind placing some screenshots of the error? Also are you familiar with event viewer? You can go to Start > search > Event viewer and look under application. Do you see any error for Internet explorer?

Don't settle for less, even a genius asks his questions. - 2pac

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,007 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 AM

Posted 04 November 2015 - 06:40 PM

I don't know if it will work after such drastic changes but have you considered doing a system restore to a date before you started doing these reversions ?

Click 'Start - Control panel - Recovery - Open system restore'

This will bring you to the recovery panel which will list the most recent restore point(s). If none of these date from before you started these changes there is a button 'Show more restore points'. Click on this and the full list of available restore points will appear. If you have one that dates from before these changes click on it and then on 'Start restore process'. You will get a couple of warnings, accept them and let it run. It may take 10 - 20 minutes. Do NOT interrupt it.

At the end of the process you should be back where you started. If it doesn't work it will revert you to the state you were in before you started the restore process. A system restore like this will not normally affect your data or applications at all, but it is a good idea to backup your data before you start.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#4 Christy42179

Christy42179
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2015 - 07:28 PM

Thanks, everyone.  I did manage to install IE 9, but now it won't let me install 10 or 11.  Email is back to normal, but there are some websites that won't load in IE, but will in Chrome.

#5 Christy42179

Christy42179
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2015 - 08:48 PM

Would upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10 possibly help?  Still can't download 10 or 11; tried clean boot, and installing in Safe Mode; neither worked.

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,007 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 AM

Posted 05 November 2015 - 10:24 AM

Updating to Win 10 will install IE11, the Edge browser and Cortana on your system. It will also require you to re-install your applications - or at least it did on the one computer I have had to deal with that got upgraded - and give you a different desktop and something of a learning curve.

The general concensus seems to be that Win10 is a pretty good OS but with privacy concerns. There are those who are strongly for it and those who are strongly against. My own opinion is that it is not yet finalised and I would wait until next Spring before considering it. Take a look at the Win 10 Discussion section on BC for further information, and a taste of the strength of opinion !

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users