Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Storing and Locating User Files in 10

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Richardf77

Richardf77

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 PM

Posted 03 November 2015 - 07:45 AM

I have just come across an aspect of 10 concerning user files.

In windows 7 we had 'Libriaries' for Pictures, Music etc which was easy to customise so that multiple userd of a PC could either share or keep private the files stored on the machine. Shared and personal files of certain typed could be broght together in one place even spanning drive partitions.

I have just been getting in a muddle with a new 10 machine where i have been loading some photos for a family member. Following my normal practice i put the photos in directories on the data partition. Then i came to set things up so that the photos can be easily accessed found Libraries either unaccessible or unavailable, Instead 10 gave me 'Quick Access', which i can add folders to but doesnt seem to work in the same way as Libraries. There are also links to personal folders for Documents, Pictures ec but these seem to be specific to the user account on the C drive and the only way to add a folder from elsewhere is by an old fashioned shortcut. 

I later discovered Libraries can be activated by going to a specific directory (in my case the Pictures folder i created on the data drive), right clicking and selecting 'Add to Library', which did bring up the libraries - for as long as the window was open! Once the window was closed and File explorer reopened Libraries disapears and all i have is 'Quick Access' and 'This PC' in the side pane and i have to search again for what i want.

has anyone else found a similar problem? Seems like they have made file management more complicated in 10 than with 7, or perhaps i am missing something?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,147 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 AM

Posted 03 November 2015 - 09:12 AM

You and I are a few of the people I know who ever used Libraries in the way they were intended and merged multiple locations such that they showed up within a single library.  Most users leave the libraries as effectively "My Documents," "My Pictures," etc.

Libraries are easily accessible in Win10 if you wish to use them, you just have to elect to show them.  All you have to do is right click in the tree view pane of File Explorer and choose "Show Libraries" from the context menu.  This should make Libraries remain permanently on view until you right click again in the tree view and choose "Hide Libraries" from the context menu.

This isn't "a problem" really, it's just an acknowledgement that most users were not using Libraries as envisioned but were using their respective "my" documents, pictures, music, etc. files with regularity.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users