Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Linux flavor do you install for your clients?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 03 November 2015 - 05:53 AM

This is a variant of the other common questions about what Linux you use.  Here, it's a posited situation where you're a computer techie charged with installing Linux for customers.  Presuming the average customer who can barely understand a left-mouse click, what version of Linux would you install for such a person?

Why am I asking?  I'm thinking of giving my clients Linux sticks. The current denouement in Windows is so grave, I feel I ought to do it.  So I'm the 'computer techie' for them, potentially.  I'd tell them to go through it with THEIR techie if they have one, but this way they get introduced.

Y'all helped me so much with the packages, now I'm rethinking what distro.  I sorta know the answers, but here the focus is on what you would do for distros you'd likely end up servicing.  That focus might change your answers.

Thank you SOOO much for your time!

Edited by brainout, 03 November 2015 - 06:08 AM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Naught McNoone

Naught McNoone

• Members
  • 308 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 AM

Posted 03 November 2015 - 10:49 AM

. . .  what version of Linux would you install . . . 

For the "basic" user coming over from Win 2k, XP, Nt     ->     Mint, because of it's menu similarity to Windows.  Users seem more comfortable with it.

For the "experienced" user who knows and understands about PUP's, Malware, etc.,      ->      xUbuntu with the xfce desktop. They will want to experiment on their own!

For the "knowledgeable" user who knows what they want and is familiar with open source software, etc.      - >     xUbuntu with the Gnome (or KDE if they request it,) desktop.  They will set it up the way they want it.

For "All" users      ->     The /home directory is always in a separately mounted partition.  This is to allow for ease of repair/reinstall without the lose of personal data!

Cheers!

Naught

#3 Naught McNoone

Naught McNoone

• Members
  • 308 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2015 - 10:57 AM

. . . what version of Linux would you install . . . 

Add one more!

For the "Know-it-all" who wants to tell me how I should do it for him,      ->     Debian.  (If he knows so much about it, why is he coming to me, and not doing it himself?)  Let him sort it out on his own, because no matter what I do, it will be wrong!   :rolleyes:

Cheers!

Naught.

#4 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,350 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 AM

Posted 03 November 2015 - 01:01 PM

I say Mint also, but the Ubuntu Mate as cat1092 has pointed out is quite nice and simple, and, not all that Minty Green all over lol.  I just  worked on a Ubuntu Mate for an older guy coming from W 7 and he loves it.  He don't do much with it but thinks it is great, fast-faster than W7 that was on previously and free!  It is a low powered W7 also, single core cpu.He said that it would cost him 200.00 US to replace W7 and he was not going to do that.  I set-up his printer and made a few other important changes and he is happy.  This was installed by someone else, and I noticed that he did not have the ufw set to start, and some wireless settings were not right, other than that he is good.

Edited by pcpunk, 03 November 2015 - 02:16 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#5 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,854 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 03 November 2015 - 03:12 PM

I have installed Puppy Linux on novices machines and they love it, I install any software they need like browser office suite of their choice ( Including MS Office ), I have also installed Ubuntu, Kubuntu, I do not like things like Zorin and  Linux Mint so do not install it.

#6 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,350 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2015 - 04:01 PM

WHAT! No Linux Mint! Lol ha ha.  I tried Ubuntu again recently and cannot get on board, Mate pretty good though.  I will take another shot at it if I have time and energy to see if I am not giving it enough of a chance.  I'm just not in a position to learn too many new things.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#7 mremski

mremski

• Members
  • 498 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2015 - 05:09 PM

I'd like to add strong support for the /home being it's own partition (as suggested in #2).  I've been doing this dance with open source for a very long time;  /home is a separate disk.  Makes it easy to upgrade and expand and try things.  Cost of hardware is almost trivial now ( $/MB is way in the consumers favor) so you wind up with extra disks floating around.

As for distributions:  I like the recommendations already made.  Keep in mind the applications your clients are going to be running, make sure any upgrade process is painless (security updates for applications like Chromium/Firefox/Thunderbird/etc).

FreeBSD since 3.3, only time I touch Windows is to fix my wife's computer

#8 brainout

brainout
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2015 - 09:53 PM

Thank you so much, gentlemen!  

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#9 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,854 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 03 November 2015 - 10:04 PM

Novices should be fine on all the Buntu based distros as they all auto update ( Puppy Linux excluded as its slightly different ). Install any distro and show them the basics, Updating, Installing/uninstalling  new software from the repo via software manager and that's about all they need to know, Firefox is Firefox no matter the Operating system.

Once set up and running there isnt much they can do to hurt it, they wont be installing 3rd party software like in Windows,

#10 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,445 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2015 - 08:21 AM

I'm with everyone else. Mint is a good Windows replacement, and like Nick said any Buntu based distros should be just as fine as well. Some might look different, but they really aren't hard to navigate around at all.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#11 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,355 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2015 - 10:15 AM

I go with Mint myself, its a great starter distro

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

8spxh0-6.png

#12 brainout

brainout
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2015 - 11:26 PM

Thank you again, gentlemen!  This is getting clearer to me.  xBuntu options mean the updates are automatic, a plus for my clients who don't want to learn more than how to move a mouse.  Problem with slurping, though?

Mint I like, PCLinuxOS I like more and more, but the latter is way overcomplicated for my clients.  Mint might be also.

Golly, we need a BC Linux, wish I were younger... :love4u:

Edited by brainout, 06 November 2015 - 11:27 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users