Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Sometimes Slow

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 SilverDogg

SilverDogg

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 AM

Posted 21 July 2006 - 09:57 AM

didnt really know where to put this, but since i use xp home i thought this might be a good place ;P

so, sometimes when i reboot my computer, and it starts up, everything runs extremely slow. some programs (gmail notifier for example) wont start up at all. i dont really know for how long ive had this problem, but its starting to really get on my nerves now >_<

ive checked for adware and viruses, and there is nothing on it. granted, my hdd is somewhat filled, but i clean it out every now and then, defrag and what not, but still.

what could be the problem? if anyone can even thing of something with this little info ;P

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 PM

Posted 21 July 2006 - 10:55 AM

See "step 4" in this pinned post:
BC slow computer checklist

Is the general problem that applications do not start up, start up slowly, or start up and then seem to be sluggish during operation? Does this apply to off-line and/or on-line activities? How much free hard drive space to you have, and how much RAM?

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 Federer Express

Federer Express

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 PM

Posted 21 July 2006 - 11:00 AM

Maybe your disk is either messy or broken internally.
Go to My Computer -> Right-Click on your Hard Drive -> Tools

And click on the button next to the Icon that looks like a CD Drive

Then check tick both boxes when you start the tool (you'll need to restart
your Computer for this) and on your next reboot the computer will run the tool.

I hope this works.
What the Bleep are you talking about? Are you Bleepin' kidding me?
You think this is Bleepin' funny?

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2006 - 01:55 PM

How much room is left on your hard drive?

You need between 15% and 18% free for it to operate properly.

#5 SilverDogg

SilverDogg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 AM

Posted 21 July 2006 - 03:42 PM

See "step 4" in this pinned post:
BC slow computer checklist

Is the general problem that applications do not start up, start up slowly, or start up and then seem to be sluggish during operation? Does this apply to off-line and/or on-line activities? How much free hard drive space to you have, and how much RAM?

Regards,
John

i do have quite a few programs that start up. maybe i should remove some of them and start them up by myself =/.
most applications do start, they just start very very slowly, and then run very slowly.
i haver around 7gb free (100gb in d:, ~20gb in c: (windows)). and yeah, im gonna have to free some space up, i realise that. just cant do it right now =/. i have 1500mb ram.

federer express, yeah ill have to do that aswell. just went over the comp again looking for viruses and adware, and im gonna free some space and defrag.

enthusiast, doesnt look like i have that much free space ^^;;;.

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2006 - 01:40 PM

Use Startup Inspector to disable unnecessary aps from starting in your startup menu when Windows starts. You will still be able to start them when you need to use them but they will not be using resources when running unnecessarily in the background when you do not need them.

Startup Inspector (manages startup menu helps you identify aps in the startup menu so you can disable unnecessary programs from running in the background when they are not needed)

And

Startup Monitor (a small freeware ap available on the same page to notify you and require your permission for any program to add itself to your startup menu)

http://www.windowsstartup.com/download.php

#7 deadsleeper

deadsleeper

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2006 - 08:45 PM

This happend to me, it turns out my hardisk is malfunctioning.

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 PM

Posted 23 July 2006 - 10:51 PM

I get this problem late at night - and it's usually because some of the scans have started to take up CPU time.

Look in Task Manager for processes running (in the Processes tab) when this occurs (make a screen shot or two for your reference). Then, when it's back up and working normally - check the screen shots against what's in the Task Manager and you should be able to find the culprit. For me, it was my Anti-virus and anti-spyware scans that were slowing it down.

Extra RAM is not a cureall. All it does is to shift the bottleneck in your system to somewhere else. In my case, it shifted it to the processor as evidenced by the scans running when it slowed down. Resources are not just RAM, but are also, CPU, bus speed, hard disk, etc - anything that the computer uses to process your work. RAM is the most common culprit - but not the only one by a long shot!

I would suggest placing a higher priority on the free disk space. It may also be impacting your performance adversly. Additionally, you're at a higher risk for data loss or drive failure when a disk is overcrowded (because it has to thrash about more in order to do the same amount of work).

Finally, here's the 2 free programs that I use for startups:

Basic: StartupCPL by Mike Lin - http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

Advanced: Autoruns by SysInternals - http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/Autoruns.html
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users