Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 new PC sales have only one year left

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 PM

Posted 02 November 2015 - 09:53 PM

This just in from ZDnet by Ed Bott, that MSFT will cease to allow new machines to be sold with Win7 on them.  I've not read the article yet, but it should be self explanatory.  So do your shopping now. That's what I'm going to do.  Now.

Ironically, I just now uploaded three videos showing what business laptops are being sold by Lenovo, Dell, HP to prove that they aren't selling Win10 machines.  They are using Win8.1 licenses' downgrade rights to sell Win7.  The videos are updates on the ones I did back at the beginning of September, to see if the September results were still valid.

You can see the videos here (Dell), here (HP) and here (Lenovo, but the video shows the Win7 machines sold out);  vids were made 10/26 and at least Dell has radically changed its website interface now.  The videos are boring, though.  Better to just go to the websites, instead.

The Dell machines shown in the video are mostly gone, now; or, the website redesign makes it look that way.  The machines shown in the video are now (right now, this minute) showing as only available preconfigured in Win7Pro 64 or Win10.  When just now I did a mock purchase, those were the only options:  not, Win8.  You'll find more Win8 machines available on HP.

Thank you for your time.  So much of my life would be so much worse, were it not for BC.  I hope to 'give back'.  Thank you again.

Edited by brainout, 02 November 2015 - 10:22 PM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 guit30

guit30

• Members
  • 244 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 PM

Posted 03 November 2015 - 02:21 AM

I was talking to a tech at Eset while  he was fixing my computer and He told me that Microsoft was not going to give updates to win 7 much longer. Hope that he is wrong.

Jim

Eset Nod32 vs 8

Super Anti Spyware

Secunia 2.0

#3 crofty

crofty

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 03 November 2015 - 03:45 AM

I was talking to a tech at Eset while  he was fixing my computer and He told me that Microsoft was not going to give updates to win 7 much longer. Hope that he is wrong.

Jim

Hi

This was on microsoft site, hope it helps.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-au/windows/lifecycle

#4 brainout

brainout
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 PM

Posted 03 November 2015 - 05:06 AM

End of sales is not end of support.  First chart in that page is end of support. Second chart in that page is end of sales.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#5 guit30

guit30

• Members
  • 244 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 PM

Posted 03 November 2015 - 03:09 PM

Thanks

Eset Nod32 vs 8

Super Anti Spyware

Secunia 2.0

#6 herbman

herbman

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 PM

Posted 03 November 2015 - 04:41 PM

Win 7 security patches will go until 2020 which is great news , if MS tried to do otherwise all hell would break loose for sure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users