Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer turns on and shuts down after 2-5 seconds

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Lukarilak

Lukarilak

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 AM

Posted 02 November 2015 - 07:01 PM

I'm running Win7 on a Gigabyte H97-HD3 motherboard, Intel i74770k, 16gb of Gskill Ripjaw RAM, Raidmax RX-1000Ae PSU, and EVGA Nvidia Geforce 770. After my computer locked up randomly I hit reset so I could run a virus scan and it started to reset... Then after about two seconds of the fans at full speed it stopped. Then started and stopped like that until I flipped off the PSU. I had a new mobo not even out of the box yet so I put it in, started again after hooking everything up and checking literally every wire.... And same thing. Did the paperclip test on my PSU and the fans started and stayed on until I flipped the switch. I also shorted the power switch pins to make sure it wasn't just my case buttons and same result. Tried disconnecting everything but the boot drive, mobo, and RAM and nothing. Same thing when I tried switching around the RAM, and I shouldn't need to reset the BIOS since it is literally a fresh out of the box mobo. I have no idea where to go from here, any suggestions?

Mod Edit:  Corrected typo - Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 03 November 2015 - 04:36 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Lukarilak

Lukarilak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 AM

Posted 02 November 2015 - 07:03 PM

Sorry, Raidmax not rainmax. Tablet autocorrected

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 03 November 2015 - 04:38 PM

PSU is where I would have started...you can substitute a different one for just a few seconds and tell whether the PSU is/was the problem.

IMO, the PSU and the hard drive...are system components most likely to present problems.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 03 November 2015 - 04:40 PM.

#4 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,778 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 04 November 2015 - 11:24 AM

To find a random auto-reboot crash like this, the best way is to start testing each component 1x1 until you find the problem. Since you replaced the mainboard, we (hopefully) can rule that out. It sounds like this is a home-build unit, so that is good and you know what's under the hood. May I offer a couple of suggestions?

I shouldn't need to reset the BIOS since it is literally a fresh out of the box mobo

Actually, part of building includes resetting the CMOS (BIOS) on a new mainboard back to factory default; I have had several new builds where the unit would not boot until I reset the BIOS. Sometimes the settings get glitched during testing at the factory and a reset should be part of your normal building procedure.

Disconnect the HDD(s) and power switch cable from the front panel, and leave only one stick of memory in the #1 slot. Now test the memory using Memtest 86+ burned to a DVD disk in the optical drive. Test each stick separately, not together.

Do yourself a favor and get a power supply tester. They don't cost much and can save hours of head scratching and running around trying to find another PS to use. And..how do you know that one is dependable?

I have used both the Apevia and Rosewill with excellent results. I use two just to verify each other, and it has saved me a lot of aggravation and time. The problem with the paper clip method is: a): its damn dangerous if you ever cross the wrong contacts, and it doesn't test any other leads/rails.

example:  http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=power+supply+tester&N=-1&isNodeId=1&Page=2

Test the HDD with Seagate Seatools for DOS; burn the ISO to a DVD, and reboot with it in the drive. Pick the long test.

If you would like additional information on building to not have this experience again, you might find this helpful, based on years of building and troubleshooting units.

Let us know how it goes!

Edited by ranchhand_, 04 November 2015 - 11:53 AM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users