Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Home-built Pc Not Working At All - Any Help Appreciated.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 postmatt

postmatt

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 PM

Posted 21 July 2006 - 08:34 AM

Hi, I have just finished building a PC from scratch using the components listed below. When I power it up the CPU and power supply fans spin up fine but no signal whatsoever comes through the monitor. If anyone can suggest a mistake I may have made or if any of the components are not compatible with each other, any help would be greatly appreciated as I have been trying to get it working for a long while now.

Components:

* Gigabyte K8NMF-9 nForce4 Micro ATX (Socket 939) PCI-Express Motherboard.
* AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice (Socket 939) - Retail boxed with AMD supplied heatsink.
* HIS Excalibur ATI Radeon 9250SE 128MB DDR TV-Out/DVI (PCI) - Retail (R9250-PTDW128-64bit).
* Akasa Ultra Quiet 400W Paxpower Active PFC ATX2.0 PSU.
* Corsair 512MB DDR Value Select PC3200 CAS2.5 Kit (2x256MB)

None of the other components I have purchased (Hard drive, DVD drive etc.) are connected at the moment as I am trying to make it work with the basics before I add extras.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 PM

Posted 21 July 2006 - 08:55 AM

Do you get any beeps when the system boots up? There should be a header on the mobo for a speaker and cases normally come with a little speaker for this purpose (some mobo's have it all onboard). Please let us know how many beeps there were (an if any seemed longer/shorter than the others).

By far the most common problem that I have when building a PC is bad connections. I always go back and double check them - but I still end up with 'em!

So, go back and check all the connections several times.

Make sure that you unplug the system and ground yourself before going into the case. I've lost more than my share of memory to this!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 postmatt

postmatt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2006 - 10:35 AM

Hi, thanks,
With a speaker attached there is no beep at all (speaker definitely working as a beep is achieved if powered up with no memory inserted).
All connections had been checked many many times but still checked them again today!

#4 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2006 - 06:36 PM

Remove the motherboard from the case, and then connect the power supply to it. Try to boot it when the mobo is out of the case.

Often this sort of thing is caused by a short between the mobo and the case.

Another possibility is a bad power supply. It is common for them to be bad right out of the box.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2006 - 08:33 AM

Did you unplug the system and ground yourself before messing with the memory?

Try one of these free, floppy based memory testers. Run it for at least 2 hours - but overnight is better!

Memory Test Software Links:

http://www.simmtester.com/page/products/doc/download.asp
http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp
http://www.memtest.org/
http://www.memtest86.com/

http://www.hcidesign.com/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 TheEmuRider

TheEmuRider

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 AM

Posted 22 July 2006 - 02:24 PM

How would one go about running those and then seeing the results if their computer wont give them a display?

I'm in the same situation atm as the topic starter. everything powers up fine now, lights, fans, drives.... but no display, and no beeps.

#7 Gothmog

Gothmog

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2006 - 01:28 AM

Do you get a display on the monitor to accompany the beeps when you boot with no memory? Try one stick at a time in different slots to see if you have a bad stick or slot. Sometimes DIMMs can die if they are shipped.

Also you may want to press the power button and wait a second after unplugging your system when servicing it to discharge all the capacitors.

#8 linderman

linderman

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2006 - 11:26 AM

a fast and cheap way to double check you video card is to use a PCI slot video card >>>> if you dotn have one they can be bought at most PC repair shops for as little as $5.00 they are ancient and unwanted but they are an invaluable tool for this type of testing

joe

Edited by linderman, 23 July 2006 - 11:26 AM.

#9 Rabbuk

Rabbuk

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2006 - 03:10 PM

is ur monitor blank or is there a "no output" message? disregard that i didnt read carefully

Edited by Rabbuk, 23 July 2006 - 03:10 PM.

Rabbuk

[size=7]GO BEARS!

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2006 - 01:38 AM

My apologies. I got distracted while posting and forgot that little tidbit about no display being present! That definitely does present a problem with reading the results of the memory test! Sorry!

OK, back to the beginning....
First, make sure that you have only these things hooked up:
1) Case
2) CPU (with cooler and fan)
3) Power Supply
4) Memory (RAM)
5) Video Card
6) Keyboard
7) Floppy drive (CD drive if you don't have a floppy)

Then boot using a DOS boot disk (free from: http://www.bootdisk.com )

- If the monitor works, then everything is working fine. Then you can start adding things, one by one, until the problem recurs (The next step is to add a hard drive and Windows in order to get the system to boot on it's own).
- If it doesn't work, then you've got to start troubleshooting the pieces that you've used above. Replace them, one by one, until the problem goes away. If you purchased them from one source you may want to contact them about how to proceed with the RMA authorization.

#11 postmatt

postmatt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2006 - 11:04 AM

Hi,
Thanks for all your advice, been away for a couple of days.

Albert Frankenstein - tried the motherboard out of the case, this makes no difference at all. However, I had already managed to short out one motherboard by placing the pillars in the wrong place in the case first time and had a replacement sent out so I was much more careful placing the board in the case anyway this time.

Gothmog - tried each stick of RAM individually in each memory slot and no change there either. I also tried an alternative RAM stick from another computer in case the newly purchased memory had been faulty in any way and this made no difference either.

linderman - i have tried a PCI-E graphics card in the board as well as a standard PCI one in the PCI slot, neither of these had any effect.

usasma - i will try the dos bootdisk shortly once i have purchased some blank disks with which to try it.

Any further ideas would be welcome.

Thanks so far people

#12 TheEmuRider

TheEmuRider

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 AM

Posted 24 July 2006 - 02:46 PM

OK so I think I figured it out... your solution may be similar to mine.

I called ASUS tech support and described the situation... no signal on the monitor, no system beeps, etc. They said it is a bios problem, and that the version of the bios that ships with the A8n5x is outdated and does not support my CPU (AMD 3500+). Since I cannot manually update the bios they are sending me a bios chip to install in place of the old one.

You may want to contact your product manufacturer and ask if that is a possibility. I will also let you know how it works out for me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users