Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Switching from XP to Lubuntu

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 lechols

lechols

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 PM

Posted 02 November 2015 - 04:29 PM

Hi Everyone,

I have an old desktop that is still using XP.  I want to switch to a Linux OS.  I will be using the pc for internet surfing, PTP downloading, some music production and video viewing.  Nothing professional just fun stuff. 

The desktop currently has a lot of files that I want to keep.  I was thinking of backing everything up, formatting the hard drive and then installing Lubuntu.  How painful is that process going to be?  I'm a novice so I'm not sure what the right questions to ask are.  What kind of problems am I going to have?  Should I first download Lubuntu to a CD and test is out or should I just go for it?

Thanks,

Lisa

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 02 November 2015 - 07:34 PM

Hi Lisa, Welcome to Linux.

First up can we have the specs to your PC?

How much ram?

Processor type?

How big is the hard drive?

Do you have a video card?

The easiest way for you to give us this info is to install speccy http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/speccy/

Should I first download Lubuntu to a CD and test is out or should I just go for it?

Yes, However once I have your PC specs there might be other options.

Regards.

Nick

PS

Post moved to correct section by me.

Edited by NickAu, 02 November 2015 - 08:33 PM.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#3 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,307 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2015 - 08:41 PM

if you want to do music production I would highly recommend Ubuntu Studio instead of Lubuntu. Ubuntu studio is made for "creative" people.You can download the .iso and try it LIVE before install. it will do everything Lubuntu will and more! Paul

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,103 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2015 - 08:45 PM

if you want to do music production I would highly recommend Ubuntu Studio instead of Lubuntu. Ubuntu studio is made for "creative" people.

Good call Paul

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#5 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,307 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2015 - 12:46 AM

Lisa- once you back up your files you can download Lubuntu or better yet - IMHO- Ubuntu Studio and burn the .iso to a DVD- (a separate DVD for each) then test drive them LIVE without having to install them.- You may have to change the boot order in the BIOS- a very simple process- if you don't know how to do that anyone here can help you.

Once you have changed the boot order to boot from the DVD player first,Linux will boot up in LIVE mode.You can do this without harming your XP install. Once you decide on which Linux you want,the Linux DVD will wipe and reformat the hard drive for you- using the journaling 4 file system.

The install for Linux can be a little intimidating if you have never done it before,but we are here to help if you get stuck.

It is important to know how much memory (RAM) you have in your computer.If you have less than 4 gigs you will need to create a small (Swap) partition,which we can guide you through when the time comes.

Explanation- a SWAP partition is what linux uses to act as RAM if you don't have enough memory installed.

Good Luck and let us know how it's going. We are all here to help and to learn. "There are no dumb questions in Linux". You will hear that a lot in this forum. Happy computing!

The easiest way for you to give us this info is to install speccy http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/speccy/

Also- as NickAU said- if you can post your Speccy info it would be helpful to us to better assist you!

Edited by paul88ks, 03 November 2015 - 12:49 AM.

#6 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2015 - 03:50 AM

Hi lechols, may I call you Lisa?

Just adding to what NickAu and paul88ks have said above (& partly repeating) is a template I am using now, for those new to Linux, and others:

"The following would be helpful, both as a general rule, and specifically about your current dilemma/question:

1. System specs on your computer/s configuration. Take a look at my example by clicking my avatar at upper left (bearded Aussie sitting on a step) and see what I have in my profile. Also see what I have in my signature below, and you will get the picture.

2. With 1., above – a number of our Members whom are also Windows users find it useful to access Piriform Speccy, which, as well as providing you with a very comprehensive analysis of your computer/s for your own purposes, allows you the opportunity to have a URL (website address) posting of those specs (no personal info), which you can include in your signature.

1. You can see examples of this by clicking the signature parts from pcpunk above, for each of his Acer Aspire and his Toshiba, to get the picture

2. NickAu, on the other hand, has chosen to use the Linux terminal command <inxi -Fx> and upload it to bleepstatic.com. You can get a less verbose rendition of this by typing it in without the dash, that is <inxi Fx> - both without the brackets when typed.

By taking this step, you are effectively “Have specs will travel” around this website. It will help you, as well as help us to help you."

I note that you have been a member since 4th March 2010 (way longer than me), but :nono: on the lack of specs, leaves the question way too open eg "How long is a piece of string?", lol.

But given it's been a long time between Posts for you, you must be pretty independent/trouble free, so Linux may be right up your alley.

Depending on those specs, I run 10 Linux Distros currently, from Bare Bones to The Works, so may be of some assistance.

Have fun

:wizardball: Wizard

BTW - reference to pcpunk superfluous here, but you will likely meet him soon

Edited - added BTW

Edited by wizardfromoz, 03 November 2015 - 03:52 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users