Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Possible virus?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 stanner21

stanner21

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 02 November 2015 - 02:08 PM

I've had an ongoing issue for awhile where I'm internet surfing, and I do a google search or navigate to a page, and it takes an inordinately long period of time to load from the search screen.  I am connected to the internet - there's been no disruption in connection to cause these random lapses.  I don't have any obvious junkware running.  I don't use any of the big box anti-virus software programs.  I have tried running Malewarebytes, Spybot, and of course Windows Defender.  Nothing helped.

When the Windows 10 free download dropped, I thought I'd just do a fresh install.  Unfortunately, I didn't see the option to do that (even though I read it was something you were prompted as an option).  And of course, the issue still existed with the Windows 10.  But now it gets better...

After the Windows 10 install, my computer won't go into sleep mode unless I force it under the shut down menu.  Even when I force it, it randomly wakes back up.  The length of time it takes to wake up is random.  It might be asleep for 30 minutes, a couple of hours, or even through the night.  I know that it's highly likely this is connected to some sort of virus running in the background.  I have gone into the options and selected for it to remain asleep even with streaming media as well.  It still won't go to sleep or stay asleep.

Yesterday, I had Chrome minimized and went to open it back up - it wouldn't open.  I'd click on it in the taskbar, and it wouldn't do anything.  If I tried to open up a fresh copy, I got a spinning cursor for a few seconds, it would show open on the taskbar, but it wouldn't open.  At this point, I knew there has got to be something fatally bad happening...so I went to create a backup thinking I just have to do a total fresh install.  When I clicked on the option to create a backup, it opens the window, spins for a second and then closes the window.  I tried doing a system recovery, but it didn't change anything.  Same Chrome problem, same backup problem.  Interestingly enough, I walked away from my computer and came back a couple hours later to see a chrome window sitting there open.  

Has anyone else heard of this?  Suggestions?  Advise?  

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,607 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 02 November 2015 - 02:35 PM

Hi stanner21 :)

At this point, since you had various system issues persist even through a Windows 10 upgrade, it would be a good idea to run a "Repair Install" of your current Windows 10 installation. Do you have the .iso downloaded? If not, can you download the .iso for your version and edition of Windows 10, and save it on yoru system using the Media Creation Tool?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows-10/media-creation-tool-install

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users