Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Pro 64 6 weeks old- Dell Concierge- Ie11 Google

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 LuAnne123

LuAnne123

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 AM

Posted 02 November 2015 - 01:30 PM

Hello Everyone,

I am new to  the forum and would like some advice. I have a 6 week old Dell desktop for my small business. I purchased the Dell Concierge service and Dell Concierge has software installed (little bell) on my desktop.

On Oct 28th the Dell Concierge software asked me for UAC for important items (changes, updates) I gave the UAC permission and all of a sudden I ended up with IE 11 and Bing across my screen (don't use Bing) and error codes for sandbox violation 2122 and a hundred boxes coming out of IE 11. I called Dell and they did something to stop the issue. At that time they ran bleeping computer and rkill and malwarebytes which all came up no problems. WE signed off and all was ok. I have a notepad showing not issues with anything.

I did notice I was not able to get anything from google searches any longer. I was concerned and called them yesterday. The tech told me I needed to downgrade to ie 8. I told him I obviously don't know much about computers but that wasn't a good idea. He then talked me into letting him create a second account and proceeded to move everything (didn't move everything and I have a mess on my hands) into another account. Then he hung up and the system shut down and I am stuck with 2 accounts.

I need to add I asked him to try system restore and it failed twice saying c drive was corrupt and giving the error message 0x800ffff

He copied about 75% of my files to a new account then hung up. I want to get rid of the new account and see if I can have just one account and fix whatever this problem is. I do not want to upgrade to windows 10 at this time either and I have a feeling that has a lot to do with this.

Can someone help?

I am going to take the computer to a local guy tonight to have a bunch of virus scans run on it on the bench. I want to remove that other account and delete all copied items as they are a mess. I wish I would have never called in the first place. Is it easy to remove the to oher account? Does this sound like a virus or a problem with Microsoft?

Thank YOU for anyone who can help.

Lu

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2015 - 01:41 PM

Well...if you paid for that particular Dell package...my advice would be to use it.  IMO, it's just another instance of a developer taking advantage of system puchasers but caveat emptor is the basic rule of life in this part of the world.

Your complaints or other comments regarding service received...probably should be made to Dell, not here, IMO.

Louis

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,520 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2015 - 01:45 PM

Where are the restorable OS and data partition backups?

[Addendum:  Hamlius and I posted at same time.]

Edited by RolandJS, 02 November 2015 - 01:46 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#4 LuAnne123

LuAnne123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2015 - 01:45 PM

Louis,

I am sorry. I am not complaining about Dell. Sorry if it came off that way. I am just really desperate for help. Have you heard that creating a new account would help with an issue like I have and do you have any suggestions for me?

I am not complaining. I just want help. Sorry if it came off that way.

#5 LuAnne123

LuAnne123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2015 - 02:56 PM

We made cd roms of all the OS. We have a Western Digital backup but we are too busy with work right now to deal with this. I understand the best solution would be to do a clean restore but we don't have the time to do that right now. Was hoping we could go somewhere and get this resolved without doing an entire restore. BTW, the other account has the exact same problem with the browser and not being able to search on google. I did a check of the c drive from the computer and it showed no problems or issues but can't go back in time to either of 2 restore points for some reason.

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,520 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2015 - 03:32 PM

I have Windows 7 Pro, so if your Windows 7 is different, that's ok.

First, do you have access to both the old and the new account?  To your knowledge, is the Explorer.exe operations working?  Can you still copy from a folder into another folder -- or not?  I believe you posted 75% of the old acct info was moved into the new acct.  Is the remaining 25% info in the old acct still available?  One can read from, write to, that remaining 25%?  If that 25% in the old acct is aok, then perhaps we can copy [not move] the 75% data out of the new acct back into the old acct.  So that we can visualize your data pots better, what folders, and where are these folders, that normally contain 100% of your data?  If by data, you are also including user profiles' AppData, then a copy of said user profiles AppData can made from the old to the new acct.

Edited by RolandJS, 02 November 2015 - 03:45 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#7 LuAnne123

LuAnne123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2015 - 03:49 PM

Hello and thank you! Yes the computer is functional and can perform the tasks you referenced. I don't know exactly what all the technician moved but it was a hodge podge about 75 percent of my data and some programs. I have the same problem with the ie 11 not being able to search Google and actually it's worse on the new side. I want to get rid of the new user side and erase the redundant 75 percent of duplicate data. The problem with the first side is ithat can't go to a restore point. I did a check disk and no errors we found but the computer said that the condo drive was corrupt the error code I posted.

#8 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,520 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2015 - 04:05 PM

Second, I believe I saw you are using Internet Explorer, you might have to reset it to "right of the box" defaults.

#9 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,520 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2015 - 04:19 PM

My first and foremost concern is that all of the company information, docs, spreadsheets, etc. are safe and sound back into the old account.  After we get the first acct up and running, then and only then would I recommend deleteing the new account via User Accounts [Control Panel].  Moved programs?  Can these programs quickly be reinstalled under the old acct?

Edited by RolandJS, 02 November 2015 - 04:19 PM.

#10 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,520 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2015 - 04:27 PM

After the company information is safe and sound, I recommend on another computer downloading tweaking.com's Windows Repairs (All in One) portable version onto a DVD.  If the software-damaged computer will boot into Safe Mode with Networking, run WR (AiO -- ))accept defaults, add item #26 & 27.  I'm hoping that WR(AiO) can finesse your Windows OS into running smoothly once again.  I think this program might even be able to get IE back into shape.  What WR will not do: fix the programs that were "moved."  Those you have to reinstall under the old acct.

#11 LuAnne123

LuAnne123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2015 - 04:37 PM

Everything is in the old account as the technician copied from the old account. He turned on a program and had it copy the items from the old side or initial account and,just put copies into the new account. He actually left the program run for hppurs, and I didn't have a way to tell him it was not necessary to make copies of the drop box and backup etc. At any rate he called me when he was leaving and said that the program would run all night but when he hung up the program stopped and the file copying process ended.I was not even able to get in the old side and luckily I got in touch with another technician who helped me out he went in and changed some registry and I could access the both sides. I think this problem started with an update from the concierge software tools that I allowed to install a new browser on 10/28. I can access everything but wish I could go back to the way the computer was before I call yesterday. I know the computer has something wrong with it and it might have a virus or adware.Just hope that I don't have to do a clean install and start ov5

#12 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,520 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2015 - 04:45 PM

Is the hidden administrator account on this computer active?  If not, is the old acct powerful enough to delete the new acct?

#13 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,520 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2015 - 04:54 PM

Bleepingcomputers.com is one of the finest and most thorough computer boards found anywhere.  If you ever want a 2nd opinion before installing or updating -- post your question[s] in the forum that fits the best.

If you believe computer in question picked up either a malware and/or a PUP and/or a virus -- start a thread in the "Am I Infected" forum.  You will find a very good team that can help you with that.

Edited by RolandJS, 03 November 2015 - 05:25 AM.

#14 LuAnne123

LuAnne123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2015 - 10:55 PM

Thank You so much! I believe you. I am in the middle of a huge work project and this computer issue is really a problem for me. I was trying to shut down the computer and there is a program running in the background called Raptr. There were many error messages stating the program Raptr was running and "in use" by another user. I know the Dell team installed the program when they had remote access. It is in my control panel but it wasn't installed until the first time I called for support. Don't know if it is a virus that could be out there as well?? I have seen the empty file folder named Raptr in my pictures. Could this be a virus and could this be the problem? I am interested in going to the I am infected forum. I really appreciate your feedback. This is very strange. My laptop also has the issue with the ie 11 browser not being able to get search results on google. I rarely use the laptop so I don't understand that.

In answer to your question about the old account vs the new account I don't understand. The Dell people set up the new account and I just want to get rid of it and make my old computer the only administrator. These Dell people had control of my computer for 8 hours last night. This is something I should not have allowed.  Is there a possibility that this can't be reversed? I don't understand and I really need help from someone. They insisted on creating this second account.

#15 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,520 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2015 - 05:47 AM

My educated guesses:  Raptr and that 2nd acct may be an attempt to maintain remote connection possibilities [potential connectivity] between DellC and that computer.  While Dell is a great company, with many great products and services, because Dell is staffed by human beings -- mistakes are going to happen.

When the immediate crisis is over, and the computer is somewhat running company work and output, you might want to have a nice Koffee und Kuchen Klatch with DellC and gently kindly decide exactly what is it that you would like DellC to do short-term and long-term.

I'm sure the BC Malware/Virus team can advise and guide you -- if you decide to make a thread in that "Am I Infected? What do I do?" forum.  If you do, concentrate only on finding out what Raptr and WhatEverElse exists in your computer; but do that after you make two complete, full image, OS and data partition restorable backups, which of course is after you get the computer somewhat running to your satisfaction as to company work and output.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users