Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"'Dark mail' debut will open door for Lavabit's return, says Ladar Levison", ZD

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 02 November 2015 - 12:50 PM

Lavabit, the privacy-centric email provider Edward Snowden reportedly used, is set to make a comeback.

Ladar Levison made headlines two years ago when he unexpectedly shut down the encrypted email service that he built from the ground up over a decade, after federal agents demanded he turn over his master encryption keys. The feds were likely after one user -- thought to be Snowden, the former NSA contractor turned whistleblower -- but this has never been formally confirmed as the case remains under seal. Concerned that the feds would go beyond the scope of the warrant, he shut down the site to prevent them "conducting surveillance on everyone," he said.

Source: http://www.zdnet.com/article/dark-mail-debut-to-open-door-for-lavabit-return-ladar-levison/

Glad to see that this project is still alive and kicking. It's been a while since we had any news on it and I was starting to wonder if the project failed. I'll be giving it a try as soon as it comes out and I'm sure that many users here will also jump in.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,612 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2015 - 01:29 PM

I remember where Levison initially gave the Key to the FEDs in a microfont.

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20131002/17443624734/lavabit-tried-giving-feds-its-ssl-key-11-pages-4-point-type-feds-complained-that-it-was-illegible.shtml

The only safe encrypted webmail is one that uses end to end encryption such as protonmail and the upcoming darkmail.

#3 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,629 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2015 - 02:01 PM

I think that Proton Mail is currently experiencing financial issues due to a government block following their Kickstarter, no?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,612 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2015 - 02:15 PM

I think that Proton Mail is currently experiencing financial issues due to a government block following their Kickstarter, no?

I have not heard that. Do you have a link? The only thing I found was that you could not donate via Paypal but that was unfrozen. Donations are still being accepted via Bitcoin and IndieGoGo.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/protonmail#/

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,629 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2015 - 02:20 PM

No you're right, that was it.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/paypal-freezes-out-protonmail-asks-if-startup-has-government-permission-to-encrypt-email/

It was in 2014, hence why I didn't remember it fully. Protonmail also looks very promising so I'll look into it once it gets released as well.

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users