Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking for advice/references on study material

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ellittle678

ellittle678

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 PM

Posted 02 November 2015 - 11:00 AM

Hey guys! I'm loving the new job I started about 3 months ago, where I'm going on site to businesses/residents to help with various networking solutions. Things can come up at anytime, whether it's IT issues with residents or larger businesses. The majority of the company business comes from home automation these days, but I'm more in IT with 2 other guys (8 ppl total in the company).

My point is, it's not very focused on one thing, but all of the things we do involve networking. I haven't had a job where I am introduced to new setups almost everyday. I worked at an ISP for a year, but that was completely focused on the equipment, not very in depth. I have had experience managing servers, programming, etc.

Basically, I'm trying to expand my knowledge in the focus of networking in the best way possible. confidence in my ability to resolve issues fast. After my 2nd day my boss told me they would figure out a certification for me to pursue but haven't, and probably never will.

So, I'm trying to find good resources to help with networking issues that I may encounter involving residents or small businesses. A lot of our clients use small network groups, domains, servers we manage remotely, routers we setup to manage remotely (Ubiquiti products are great). 

Would you guys know of any good books to go ready/study involving to help be as prepared as possible? I read often and I'm confident I can learn whats needed as it comes up, but I need something to work on in my spare time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 02 November 2015 - 11:14 AM

I googled A+ certification in networking, this might be one way.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 Jo*

Jo*

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,445 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 AM

Posted 02 November 2015 - 11:35 AM

You can take a look at Free eBooks from Microsoft Press

Graduate of the WTT Classroom
Cheers,
Jo
If I have been helping you, and I have not replied to your latest post in 36 hours please send me a PM.

#4 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 03 November 2015 - 10:28 AM

Cisco certs are still in high demand but not cheap, neither their tests or study materials but if your serious in this field something to consider.

Something else to consider to defray costs is looking into used text books like at amazon some can be gotten at a fraction of the cost and in nearly new condition. Pick and choose carefully.

Something else that will help build your self a practice lan network either virtual or actual.

If you have the skills build it your self with different OS's but do NOT fook it up to the internet until you well know how and where to secure it or you can find your self and your network owned by somebody else in pretty short order.

Edited by dannyboy950, 03 November 2015 - 02:32 PM.

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

#5 irvin_than_allyl

irvin_than_allyl

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2015 - 10:25 PM

You'll probably get a lot out of study guides for CompTIA's Network + exam. There are quite a few books you can find on Amazon, and there's a good site called professormesser.com that has free Network + training videos.

http://www.professormesser.com/network-plus/n10-006/n10-006-course-index/

If you're going to study in depth you might also consider getting the Network + certification. The test costs I think close to $200 dollars, but it may be helpful for you if you need to find another job in the future.

The A+ study materials would be good if you're dealing with printers and operating systems and things like that, but it's a lot more general. The Network + is focused on networking.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CompTIA

#6 ellittle678

ellittle678
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2015 - 11:40 AM

Thanks a lot for the responses everyone!

Yeah Irvin, started watching Professor Messer's Network + videos a few weeks ago and I'm getting a lot from them. I appreciate the info on certifications, I may pursue Network + cert.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users