Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question about Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Glenn Gilbert

Glenn Gilbert

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 PM

Posted 02 November 2015 - 08:05 AM

Hello, 

I just purchased a Lenovo H50 desktop computer which came with Windows 10 installed. I do medical transcription from home and at this time I am in between jobs. With my old employer they gave us the equipment we needed in order to work but now I have to supply my own computer. From the jobs I have been seeing none of their platforms will work with Windows 10. I purchased the computer at Best Buy and was told that if I purchase Windows 8.1 they could install that system for me in a way where I could use Windows 8.1 for work and Windows 10 for personal use. Has anyone heard of anything like this and will this slow down my computer? 

Also, where would be the best place to purchase Windows 8.1? 

Thanks.

Glenn

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 PM

Posted 02 November 2015 - 08:12 AM

Hi Glenn :)

I purchased the computer at Best Buy and was told that if I purchase Windows 8.1 they could install that system for me in a way where I could use Windows 8.1 for work and Windows 10 for personal use. Has anyone heard of anything like this and will this slow down my computer?

Yes, this is entirely possible. This is what we call "dual-booting", which means that you'll have two OS (Operating Systems) installed on one computer (one hard drive in your case). Basically, you'll have Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 installed, both having their own partition, and when you start your computer, you'll be given the choice to use either Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 (since you cannot use both OS at the same time that way).

Dual-booting, Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-booting
HowToGeek tutorial on dual-booting Windows 10 with Windows 7 or 8/8.1: http://www.howtogeek.com/197647/how-to-dual-boot-windows-10-with-windows-7-or-8/

Also, where would be the best place to purchase Windows 8.1?

Anywhere as long as the place you buy it from is legitimate and have the right to sell Windows licences (eg: BestBuy, Staples, Newegg, NCIX, etc.).

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 PM

Posted 02 November 2015 - 10:40 AM

Glenn,

If the stuff works with Windows 8.1 I would certainly give it a try with Windows 10 to see if it will work before going the dual boot route with two very similar versions of Windows.

Just because the various companies have not yet had time to certify that things will "play well" with Windows 10 does not mean that they will not, particularly if they already did so for Win 8.1.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#4 Willabong

Willabong

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 PM

Posted 03 November 2015 - 03:35 AM

Glen is right!  I haven't found a single piece of software or hardware yet from my old Windows 7 or 8.1 machines, that will not run on Windows 10, and I run a huge amount of software!

#5 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 PM

Posted 03 November 2015 - 03:40 AM

There are special laws that apply to medical transcription.  Ask whoever you'll be working with what system you should get. Most hospitals, labs, physician practices, research institutions are very picky about what to use, given HIPAA can be easily violated; most will want you to be on XP or at most, Windows 7.  So don't make any decisions until you know what system will be legal for medical transcription for whomever you'll do the transcription.

Edited by brainout, 03 November 2015 - 03:43 AM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users