Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Won't Save Settings.

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 MJB1066

MJB1066

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 21 July 2006 - 07:20 AM

I am trying to change to settings.

The first is I am trying to change my home page from Yahoo to Google. IE will not let me.

I am also trying to use Tweak UI to auto logon. It also will not work. Any ideas?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2006 - 08:09 AM

I suspect that you've installed a program that has locked your home page to prevent hijacking.

I'm not familiar with Tweak UI - but try this instead.

Go to Start...Run...and type in "control userpasswords2" (without the quotes) and press Enter.

Then left click once on the account that you want to auto-logon. Then remove the check mark from the box that says "Users must enter a user name and password to access this computer"

Click on OK, then it may ask for the password (if it does, enter it), then you'll be set!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 MJB1066

MJB1066
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2006 - 09:08 AM

Thanks. That worked as far as auto logging in.

I don't understand the home page being locked.

I recently did a reformat and I installed all the same programs I had before. Any ideas on how I can get the page from being locked?

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 21 July 2006 - 09:20 AM

What anti-malware programs do you have installed?

#5 MJB1066

MJB1066
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2006 - 10:47 AM

What anti-malware programs do you have installed?

I have Ad-Aware and Spybot. I have ran both and neither found anything other than cookies.

Also, I have no trialware programs. I learned that lesson a long time ago.

Edited by MJB1066, 21 July 2006 - 10:49 AM.

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2006 - 02:03 PM

Did you set Spybot to lock your home page or have it restrict bhos?

#7 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2006 - 02:25 PM

I would like to have some system sprec's on this computer like processor, speed, ram, hard drive and space free and the Operating System?

#8 MJB1066

MJB1066
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2006 - 11:16 PM

Did you set Spybot to lock your home page or have it restrict bhos?

No.

None of these are blocked. They are in the advanced settings and I have not been in except to check those settings.

#9 MJB1066

MJB1066
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2006 - 11:35 PM

I would like to have some system spec's on this computer like processor, speed, ram, hard drive and space free and the Operating System?

No offense, but processor, speed, ram, hard drive and space free has nothing to do with anything I'm having trouble with.

I'm using XP-Pro

#10 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2006 - 08:12 AM

The home page thing is a security settings thing. There are many, many places where this could be set.

Since you're using XPPro - I'd suggest having a look in the Group Policy settings to see if it's been locked there.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#11 MJB1066

MJB1066
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2006 - 12:14 PM

The home page thing is a security settings thing. There are many, many places where this could be set.

Since you're using XPPro - I'd suggest having a look in the Group Policy settings to see if it's been locked there.

I looked under MMC and Users and Groups. There is nothing there that I could see.

#12 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2006 - 12:58 PM

Well, the best thing to do would be to post a Hijack This log in your Hijack This forum which may be able to determine what is causing the hijacking of your home page.

#13 MJB1066

MJB1066
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2006 - 02:25 PM

Well, the best thing to do would be to post a Hijack This log in your Hijack This forum which may be able to determine what is causing the hijacking of your home page.

As I stated before I don't download crap freeware. I ran hijack this anyway and there is nothing in there that would not allow me to change my home page. I guess my problem is beyond this forum. Thanks to everyone for trying.

#14 deadsleeper

deadsleeper

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2006 - 08:51 PM

I think HJT is no crap. Have been using it for years. Its really helpful specially tracking those f**kin malwares.

Why dont you try firefox? its a more better than IE. If it will work OK then you might have some malicious script on your pc that prevents you to change Homepage

#15 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2006 - 05:59 AM

I would like to have some system spec's on this computer like processor, speed, ram, hard drive and space free and the Operating System?

No offense, but processor, speed, ram, hard drive and space free has nothing to do with anything I'm having trouble with.

I'm using XP-Pro

Sorry

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users