Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My printer will not print anymore..

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 aliceb

aliceb

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 AM

Posted 02 November 2015 - 06:31 AM

I upgraded to Win 10 (from 7). All was well until I moved my Asus laptop computer to a different location which means that I now connect to the port on the other side, ie from left to right. I started receiving error messages and the printer showed that it was offline. I removed and installed again. It is still showing offline and I can't figure out how to get it online: all my entreaties don't work; neither do the curses! Help. What am I missing??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,839 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 AM

Posted 02 November 2015 - 10:37 AM

I am asking this with no snark intended:  Is the printer turned on?

The device cannot be recognized as "Online" unless it's powered up (at least if you're using a wired connection, and it sounds like you are).

What is the make/model of your printer?  Did you check the manufacturer's website to see if there is updated software and/or drivers specifically for Windows 10?

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,478 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2015 - 10:56 AM

Related to britechguy's post, even though the printer is powered, doesn't automatically mean the printer is online, Ready stuatus - ready to print.  My Canon once in awhile goes offline, I have to tap the "lighted" button on top for it to reCycle itself into Ready status.  And, I have to do a print spooler dump if I do not want multi-copies.

Edited by RolandJS, 02 November 2015 - 10:56 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#4 aliceb

aliceb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2015 - 04:04 PM

Yup, printer is plugged in and reads "offline" - have been unable to switch to online (something diff. in Win 10??) Printer is Brother MFC 465 CN. Did not check web site for new info (good idea) but It worked fine in another location... Thanks. 

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,625 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 AM

Posted 02 November 2015 - 04:58 PM

Does the printer show online if you plug it into the other port? According to Brother the printer uses Windows 10 own driver with reduced functionality.

#6 leithanne

leithanne

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2015 - 06:53 PM

Can you plug something else into the port the printer won't work with, just to make sure the port is not the problem?

#7 aliceb

aliceb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2015 - 10:24 PM

My mouse works fine in this port. I did notice that the on/off light on top of the printer is no longer lit , hmmm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users