Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cache problem

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Drew300

Drew300

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 PM

Posted 02 November 2015 - 03:13 AM

Hello all.

I've got a cache problem that's probably a simple fix but driving me crazy, I open a browser, any browser like firefox or internet explorer etc.. and all have the same problem, first time it searches fine, and any more searches on that same page work fine, but if i open a new tab or close and reopen the browser i get no search results at all unless i clear the cache only for firefox or the temporary internet files and website file option in internet explorer, then click home page and i can search again, but opening a new tab or closing and reopening browser causes same issue to return every time. i have tried everything from flushing dns and renew and release ect. to reinstalling browsers and i even reinstalled windows in the end :( but even then with nothing installed but windows and basic motherboard drivers installed it still did it, the only other thing i had installed was avg zen which i now removed and use avira instead. i have also checked for disk errors and memory errors..also i have 2 internet connections, which both have been reset many times and the problem occurs on both connections through 2 different service providers, also i can click anything in by bookmarks when this problem occurs and it will go to the pages, it just wont search, everything else works fine like windows updates, skype etc.. also happens with no addons at all installed. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Drew.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,528 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 PM

Posted 02 November 2015 - 05:06 AM

Within your browsers, what are the cache settings?  You mentioned moving from AVG to Avira.  I'm wondering if security settings may have been a little too assertive [software default, not your fault]?

Edited by RolandJS, 02 November 2015 - 05:08 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 Drew300

Drew300
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2015 - 06:25 AM

thank you for the reply.

the only cache settings i am aware of in firefox are in options/advanced/network, and its set to limit cache to 350 mb and i dont know where to find cache settings for internet explorer.

i also agree avg may have done somthing to cache settings but i dont know where it would have changed it.

i just typed about:cache and these are the results, remember i have to clear my cache every time i open a new page so the values of stored cache are very small

memory Number of entries: 0 Maximum storage size: 32768 KiB Storage in use: 0 KiB Storage disk location: none, only stored in memory disk Number of entries: 49 Maximum storage size: 358400 KiB Storage in use: 1277 KiB Storage disk location: C:\Users\Andrew\AppData\Local\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\aso8yfhf.default\cache2 List Cache Entries appcache Number of entries: 0 Maximum storage size: 512000 KiB Storage in use: 0 KiB Storage disk location: C:\Users\Andrew\AppData\Local\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\aso8yfhf.default\OfflineCache

Edited by Drew300, 02 November 2015 - 06:34 AM.

#4 Drew300

Drew300
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2015 - 07:30 AM

i found some cache settings in about:config but i dont what they should or shouldnt be set at in there, i havent touched any of about:config settings

browser.cache.auto_delete_cache_version;0

browser.cache.check_doc_frequency;3

browser.cache.compression_level;0

browser.cache.disk.capacity;358400

browser.cache.disk.enable;true

browser.cache.disk.filesystem_reported;1

browser.cache.disk.free_space_hard_limit;1024

browser.cache.disk.free_space_soft_limit;5120

browser.cache.disk.max_chunks_memory_usage;10240

browser.cache.disk.max_entry_size;51200

browser.cache.disk.max_priority_chunks_memory_usage;10240

browser.cache.disk.metadata_memory_limit;250

browser.cache.disk.preload_chunk_count;4

browser.cache.disk.smart_size.enabled;true

browser.cache.disk.smart_size.first_run;false

browser.cache.disk.smart_size.use_old_max;false

browser.cache.disk_cache_ssl;true

browser.cache.frecency_experiment;1

browser.cache.frecency_half_life_hours;6

browser.cache.memory.enable;true

browser.cache.memory.max_entry_size;5120

browser.cache.offline.capacity;512000

browser.cache.offline.enable;true

browser.cache.use_new_backend;0

browser.cache.use_new_backend_temp;true

if there is a particular one in about:config you would like to know the value of please let me know.

Edited by Drew300, 02 November 2015 - 07:36 AM.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,902 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2015 - 10:25 AM

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Louis

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,528 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2015 - 10:46 AM

Drew300, disregard my earlier cache comments, based on what you posted.  Follow Hamlius' advice, you won't go wrong.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#7 Drew300

Drew300
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2015 - 12:30 PM

removed my info

Edited by Drew300, 03 November 2015 - 10:46 AM.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,902 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2015 - 01:26 PM

Windows install dated 2 days ago.

I would uninstall all AVG and Avira software, using the uninstall tools each developer has made avaialble at respective websites...for just that purpose.

Then...I would reinstall, update, and run a scan with the Avira software.

IMO...the AVG Tuneup app...has no redeeming merits and should never be installed on any system by a knowledgeable user.  It is a "registry cleaner/optimizer" program.

See Registry Cleaner, Animal - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/526247/tune-up-utilities-2014-problem/?p=3303494 .

Then...I would follow up with running the chkdsk /r command, followed by running the sfc /scannow command.

After that...I would see how the system runs.

Chkdsk Command, Windows 7, Aura - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/582646/cyclic-redundancy-error/?p=3759189

Run sfc scannow command prompt, Aura - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/579699/missing-uxthemedll-file/?p=3736491

Louis

#9 Drew300

Drew300
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2015 - 01:42 PM

thankyou, i ran the chkdsk earlier, i will try the sfc command now, the avg tuneup app is a bit different to avg pc tuneup, it used to be called tuneup utilities last year and avg purchased it, its a usefull program with many other functions beside cleaning and optimizing the registry, the awfull one that comes with avg zen is not the same thing. i did reinstall the entire computer 2 days ago and the problem was there before i installed tuneup and avira, although i will uninstall both tuneup and avira  through uninstallers from their websites and try without them.

I will run chksdk and sfc scan again after i have removed them. i need some sleep so i will get back to you on this.,  also i should add that in safe mode with only netwkorking enabled the problem happens much less requently, 1 in 10 times, compared to every time i close the browser and reopen, or open a new tab.

I appreciate your time and effort and will get back to you with results.

Andrew

Edited by Drew300, 02 November 2015 - 02:19 PM.

#10 Drew300

Drew300
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2015 - 10:53 AM

Hamluis.... many thanks to you, it is working again now perfectly.  i won't be using any cleanup/tuneup programs as they do cause more problems than they fix.

seems it was avg. something to do with browser theme patching? i reinstalled my entire operating system to try to fix that only to install avg zen and bring the problem right back and i believe after i removed avg zen, avg tuneup held the problem hidden in avg overall settings somwhere.

Anyway I cant thank you enough.

much appreciation.

Andrew.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,902 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2015 - 11:38 AM

Your graciousness is appreciated :).

Happy computing :).

Louis