Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is this issue my power supply or no?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 GREEN00

GREEN00

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 AM

Posted 02 November 2015 - 01:37 AM

I have a computer that is running windows xp. has 4 gb's of ram and a decent cpu from my understanding. its a custom built. I am not 100% sure of the power supplys name, but if I had a good hunch it would be a ROSEWILL power supply. I don't know the exact model though. Anyways, on to my issue. I power on my computer and it will only stay on for like 30 mins top and just automatically shuts the whole computer down. And if I try to restart the computer instantly and continue where I left off with whatever I was doing, it will computer shut down within 30 mins. more like 10 if it is consecutive. I honestly could be wrong but as far as functionally goes my computer is in decent shape, I let it sit for like 3-4 years maybe more, but it still works fine, I don't even think I have any viruses or anything on it. I always was a nerd when it came to taking care of my computer as far as keeping it clean meaning viruses and junk and registrys issues. So what do you think I am dealing with here. 

If you need to know the exact model of the power supply im sure there is a way. you would just have to let me know where to go. im guessing in the bios?

Anyways please help me im bored and am trying to get this computer running again. But if I need a new power supply I might trash it and just get a new computer because the hardware is good but not good enough for gaming nowadays im sure. Especially when we talk of games that take high end specs to run. 

Anyways please help, Thanks!

Edited by hamluis, 08 January 2016 - 12:26 PM.
Closed topic - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2015 - 05:33 AM

For those with laptops I'd recommend an external cooling assembly.  However, this being either desktop or minitower -- it might be possible to simply add one or two small cooling fans inside the chassis.  I did that with an old desktop -- until I was forced to upgrade 'cause Windows for Workgroups 3.11 just wasn't cutting it anymore.

Edited by RolandJS, 02 November 2015 - 05:34 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 AM

Posted 02 November 2015 - 08:55 AM

This sound like it may be a overheating issue.

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download. 

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

You need to be aware that your body will store electrostatic electricity.  Before touching anything inside the case you need to discharge this charge.  This can be done by simply touching the bare metal of the case when the side panel is removed.

The following has to be done with the computer shut down.

Open the side panel and look at the motherboard, there will be a fan mounted on top of a heatsink, this is the cooling system for the CPU.  If it has an accumulation of dust inside it it needs to be cleaned.  To clean out the dust, purchase a canned Duster (this is often referred to canned air) and use it to blow out the fan and heatsink.  You don't want to have the fan spinning around, I place the eraser end of a pencil through one of the blades which keeps the fan from spinning.

If the dust inside the heatsink is stubborn you can use Q-tips to clean it out.  Do not use any liquid cleaner.

Blow out any loose dust inside the case.  Do not use a vacuum cleaner unless it is one which has been specifically designed for this application.  Do not use a compressor to blow out the case.  Both of these can produce static electricity.  Integrated circuits, like those on your RAM modules, can be killed by a electrostatic discharge.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 GREEN00

GREEN00
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2016 - 11:37 PM

I figured my issue out. It was all the dust that had built up inside of my computer case and it was "I assume" causing my computer to overheat, which then lead it to shutdown.

The reason I found out it was from all the dust buildup of 4 years or more was because I took it over to my friends house he had a nice blower machine and it blew all the dust out of it. IT WAS ALOT, to say the least. 

So yeah, my problem has been fixed, I have not had my computer shut down not one time since we took a blower machine (I don't know the name of the device or I would tell you) to it. Everything has been running as I would have expected.

Thanks for all of yalls help!

Goodbye now.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2016 - 10:55 AM

I had already figured that out.  That is why I had suggested that you clean out the inside of the case in my last post.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2016 - 12:31 PM

...and you can still add another fan inside; one more fan sure can't hurt.

[Addendum:  mentioned 2nd fan 'cause desktop will re-accumulate dust over time, which causes heat-buildup over time, until dust re-removed again; it's a yearly cycle]

Edited by RolandJS, 07 January 2016 - 04:35 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2016 - 12:47 PM

Roland... the op has already pointed out that after cleaning out the case the temperatures have returned to normal parameters.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

#8 GREEN00

GREEN00
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2016 - 05:58 PM

Roland... the op has already pointed out that after cleaning out the case the temperatures have returned to normal parameters.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Well I am not sure honestly how my temperatures on my desktop. All I know is it hasn't shut down not 1 time since the dust bunny cleanout lol. Anyways, I don't have the money or time to add a fan to it as of right now, I am really busy trying to get my windows 7 computer updated to windows 10 but I have ran into a million issues. Now I have to contact microsoft to try to get it to actually startup. This is probably my fault that it failed, but there is that possibility that my laptop cannot run windows 10. So Yeah been really busy with that. 

By the way. I have another top opened up called "My windows xp overhaul" or something along those lines. We can stop the chat here if you want and you can meet me over there. I will be trying to get this computer going strong again. 

Here is a link to the topic:http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/601428/cleanupboost-overhaul/ In that topic I am talking about the same computer that we are talking about on here. So we can just let this post go for now and chat over there fellas. The reason I would rather chat about that computer over there is because I am trying to give "old betsy" an overhaul. She sit for 5 years. I am sure there are all kinds of things that "could be done" to get her back running again.

But in the meantimes goodness gracious now I got to recover my poor laptop which I am not looking forward too really. So much work :(.

Hope to here from tha fellas soon on the other topic though! :) Cya! Thanks for all of your help guys. God Bless You All!!!!!!!!

Edited by GREEN00, 07 January 2016 - 07:53 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users