Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External hard drive really slow - dying?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 maronis

maronis

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 AM

Posted 01 November 2015 - 09:59 PM

I have a 2TB WD hard drive connected to my iMac via a USB 2.0 cable.  Yesterday, for the first time, I found the transfer rate was really slow - like a few kb/minute slow.  When I restart the computer, it takes maybe 15 minutes before the drive shows up in my Finder window.  When I try to run Disk Doctor, the screen is blank for several minutes before the drive finally shows up.  I've tried swapping the USB cable for one that I know works, but there's no change.  I'm guessing the drive is dying somehow.

Two questions:

Is there anything else I should try to fix the drive?

Is there any way I can recover the data on the drive?

Thanks so much!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,924 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 07 November 2015 - 04:58 PM

First of all - welcome to BC !

Let's worry about the data next !

Assuming you have more than one USB port on your iMac - you don't say which model it is, by the way - then you can plug another drive into a second port and use the file management function on your computer to copy the data across from one to the other. If the data transfer is as slow as you say it is this is something I might leave running overnight or possibly the week-end.

Once you have saved your data I suggest you start a topic in the Mac OS section of BC to ask for advice on how to repair your drive, if possible. I can't really help you on the tools available for OSx but the WD web-site should list tools suitable for your OS.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 maronis

maronis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 AM

Posted 08 November 2015 - 08:20 PM

Thanks for your response!  I bought a new 2TB drive and just started copying my data over - it's about 365GB andestimate is 26 days to complete the transfer, but I guess that's better than losing all my data.

It's an iMac 27", late 2011 so USB ports aren't a problem.

Thanks again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users