Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is running Ccleaner a good idea?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 AM

Posted 01 November 2015 - 08:04 PM

Hi,

I have an Acer laptop that is running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit and it is about four years old. Over time, it has become slower and slower. I have seen references on these forums several times to software called Ccleaner. I looked it up online and saw that the company who distributes and sells it saying that it is a great program, that it has won many awards and endorsements, and that it really can speed up a system by eliminating junk programs and "cleaning out the registry". I was leaning toward trying it until I read the "registry" part. I've always heard it said that programs that modify the registry should be avoided because they can cause more harm than good and can even cause a system to crash or be unstable. For those who have used it or investigated it, would you recommend that I try to download and run Ccleaner on my laptop?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by hamluis, 02 November 2015 - 10:00 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to All Other Apps - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_JWebb_*

Guest_JWebb_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 01 November 2015 - 08:18 PM

It's safe.  You don't have to run the registry cleaner if you don't want to.  It will also offer to make a backup of registry keys that it intends to delete.

Edited by JWebb, 01 November 2015 - 08:19 PM.

#3 leithanne

leithanne

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2015 - 08:18 PM

Cleaning the registry is just one of the options with Ccleaner. As long as you leave that part unchecked, it is, IMO, a great program.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 AM

Posted 01 November 2015 - 09:50 PM

While CCleaner is safe and useful for removing temporary and junk files, I do not recommend using the built-in registry cleaner unless you have a good understanding of the registry. In fact, This site DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:

Why you should not use Registry Cleaners and Optimization Tools

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2015 - 10:50 PM

Guys & gal,

Thanks for the responses. Looks like three thumbs down for the registry cleaner portion of Ccleaner. I will download the program but definitely will not use that portion of it.

Edited by Warthog-Fan, 01 November 2015 - 10:51 PM.

#6 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2015 - 05:24 AM

I have been using CCleaner for years to do one thing. I use it to automatically delete junk files each time I boot up. It is the only product that will do this automatically. You can also do this with cookies and you can save cookies for frequently visited sites.

#7 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2015 - 05:29 AM

The free version has worked for me just fine for several years now.  Like the others said, don't diddle with the registry.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,469 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2015 - 07:26 AM

I have been using CCleaner for years to do one thing. I use it to automatically delete junk files each time I boot up. It is the only product that will do this automatically...

There are some other cleaners like FileCleaner that can be configured to run automatically but they usually include optimizers and registry cleaners.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,862 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2015 - 10:07 AM

I've tried Ccleaner and did not like it...I prefer to use TFC for the purposes that users of Ccleaner profess to use it.

I personally hate any program that includes a "registry cleaner/optimizer" function that appeals to the unknowing.  Once I learned how to manually use regedit properly...I became quite suspicious of such programs (they have been around a long time) and the approach they take to fumbling around in the registry.  That includes Ccleaner.

Another thing that piques me about Ccleaner is that the default settings remove any dump files which have been created.  If a system is having problems that result in a dump file, those valuable pieces of information are swept away as if they have no value.

Louis

#10 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2015 - 10:42 AM

What I''m reading here is:  regardless the very good commonly-suggested utilities being downloaded, carefully configure and set before using, on-demand or scheduled.  btw, I downloaded both FileCleaner and oldtimerTempFilesCleaner, the word of any BC tech on staff is good enough for me.

Edited by RolandJS, 02 November 2015 - 10:44 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#11 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2015 - 11:05 AM

I have been using CCleaner for years to do one thing. I use it to automatically delete junk files each time I boot up. It is the only product that will do this automatically...

There are some other cleaners like FileCleaner that can be configured to run automatically but they usually include optimizers and registry cleaners.

Unless there is a stand alone product that will do that automatically, I'll stick with CCleaner. I'm always looking for one but I know there isn't one.

#12 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2015 - 04:08 PM

TFC can cause problems on Windows 8 and 10, so people with those OSes will want to stick to CCleaner.

Not that I approve of the registry cleaning part, but other cleaners tend to have even more aggressive registry cleaners and other unnecessary "bells and whistles". CCleaner is, shall we say, the least of all evils.

#13 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 PM

Posted 02 November 2015 - 04:56 PM

Unless there is a stand alone product that will do that automatically, I'll stick with CCleaner. I'm always looking for one but I know there isn't one.

I thought FileCleaner and oldtimerTempFilesCleaner were also stand-alones.

#14 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,469 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2015 - 05:36 PM

Expanding on what Alex noted...TFC was last updated by OldTimer 6/23/12...that was version 3.1.9.0 which supported Windows XP/Vista/Windows 7. TFC has become outdated to some extent as the Windows operating system has continued to be updated with critical security patches. As time has passed, there have been more reports of various issues with running TFC to include unexpected freezing, hanging, unresponsiveness, etc. especially on newer operating systems.

#15 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2015 - 06:43 PM

I thought FileCleaner and oldtimerTempFilesCleaner were also stand-alones.

Neither can be set to work automatically. Only CCleaner can be set to work automatically.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users