Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Clean install Windows 7 - Fake Bleepingcomputer.com ???

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 nonberry

nonberry

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 PM

Posted 01 November 2015 - 06:01 PM

Installed a brand new hard drive and completed a Windows 7 clean install on a highly infected computer. The install went as expected. 

Afterwards, I reset the DSL router according to my ISP's instructions and checked to make sure the firewall and Windows Defender were turned on. 

Using Internet Explorer, I went to MalwareBytes and downloaded MalwareBytes free version. I also downloaded CCleaner free version. I typed in Bleeping Computer AdwCleaner download, clicked search and at first it went to a white page. I tried it a couple more times and it finally loaded a page claiming to be Bleepingcomputer.com, however, it did not look like your website. Afraid to use that site, I went to Microsoft Essentials, downloaded Microsoft Essentials and it found nothing. I ran MalwareBytes and found nothing. 

Thinking it might be Internet Explorer settings, I attempted to download Opera Stable browser. It went through all the steps of the download and showed it was downloaded to the download folder, but I can't find a trace of it anywhere on the computer. 

I can't complete the pre-steps required from Bleeping Computers since I can't access your website. It acts like the browser has been hijacked, but, I'm only guessing at this point. 

Aside from the fresh Windows 7 program, there are only 3 programs installed. MalwareBytes, CCleaner and Microsoft Essentials. I'm currently using a different computer and hoping to get some kind of help with it. 

Thanks in advance. 

Edited by hamluis, 01 November 2015 - 06:54 PM.
Moved from MRL to AII - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 01 November 2015 - 07:07 PM

Some Bleeping Computer pages have been re-designed. The new design for those pages was introduced on Oct. 7, 2015.They look nothing like they did previously. This could be the reason you think it is a fake page.

Downloads section is one which is part of the new look.
More information is here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/592712/bleepingcomputer-is-excited-to-announce-tomorrows-launch-of-our-redesigned-site/

If what you saw look like either of the images below, then you were not on a fake Bleeping Computer page.

Looks like this when signed in
pQhxwKj.png

When not signed in
8050Snt.png

Edited by Queen-Evie, 01 November 2015 - 07:12 PM.

#3 nonberry

nonberry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2015 - 07:35 PM

Thanks Queen-Evie for your quick response. 

Unfortunately, that's not the same page. I clicked the more information link you provided and read the post from "Trigger Jinxed", and it reminded me that the Bleepingcomputer.com site flashed briefly, then quickly went to a white page with nothing but a Red Hat logo in the corner. Curious, would a setting on IE cause the logo not to display? 

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 PM

Posted 02 November 2015 - 08:20 AM

Can you post an inactive link to the Bleeping Computer website you believe is fake.

For example http://www.bleepingcomputer.com is the legit site.

To make the link inactive (disabled)...just replace the tt in http to xx as follows:
hxxp://www.bleepingcomputer.com
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 nonberry

nonberry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2015 - 12:00 PM

Sorry for the delay.

The website url shows it as Bleepingcomputer.com, however, I continued to have white pages with Red Hat ads. After several hours on your site, it finally occurred to me, what I believe, to be happening. 

With a couple of adjustments to IE settings, I was able to load Bleeping Computer and download AdwCleaner. What continued to occur was the white pages with Red Hat ads. When I clicked the main tabs, (ex: Downloads, Forum, etc..), to change the page on the site, it would go to the intended page, however, the second I used the scroll bar to scroll the page, the page would immediately go to a white page with a Red Hat ad. After the ad pop-up, then followed by clicking the back button, it would go back to the correct page and I was able to do whatever I needed to do. 

It appears to be built into the new Bleeping Computer website to flip the page to an ad page when the person uses the scroll bar, or, it may be a bug in the new design. Bleeping Computer is the only website it seems to happen on. 

How do I stop the pages from flipping to Red Hat ads? 

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2015 - 05:15 PM

Were you logged in as a registered member?

Sponsored advertisements are shown on the Bleeping Computer web site if you are not logged on with your forum account as a registered member. These are ads are allowed in order to defray the cost (pay the bills) of maintaining the board. Although the site owner permits ads, we have no control over them and BC does not recommend or endorse any of the advertisements. If you are logged in with your member account, you should not see any advertisements or download links for them....that's one reason we encourage our members to always sign in first.

#7 nonberry

nonberry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2015 - 09:43 AM

Thanks for your answer. I wasn't logged in and I shouldn't have to be to avoid ads from popping up,. Have to say it's  pretty sneaky of Bleeping Computer to use the scroll bar to launch ads. I find it disturbing Bleeping Computers didn't find it necessary to post that information on their newly designed website. 

I thought the computer was severely infected. Apparently, it's not infected at all. Wasted hours working on it and almost bought a paid version of anti-virus from this site. Good thing I discovered what was really going on. 

Thank you for your assistance. 

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2015 - 05:24 PM

Grinler, the site owner of BleepingComputer, does not believe in doing anything sneaky. He has been above board in everthing he does for this site which has helped thousands of folks with all sorts of computer issues since day one.

Granted board updates can result in some unfavorable features (or even quirks) a user may not like but they always have the option to voice their opinion/concerns in the BleepingComputer Announcements, Comments, & Suggestions forum.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users