Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to make an ISO image of my new PC

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 itsreallycheryl

itsreallycheryl

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 AM

Posted 01 November 2015 - 03:28 PM

Hello. I've just opened and set up my new Dell XPS 8900 PC Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, and I have updated the system and would like to burn an ISO image to save in case of emergency. I have always used a disk I have called Ghost, but this is not working for me on this new PC. I got it to load the files but it seems it didn't recognize the disk or something. I'm not sure, but I was hoping there might be a free program online that I can use to image my PC before loading all of my programs.

Thank you for any help!

Cheryl

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2015 - 03:41 PM

Macrium Reflect can clone or image your system. 

http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

I never make the same mistake twice....I always make it 5 or 6 times just to be sure!

#3 mr.meyer

mr.meyer

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 AM

Posted 01 November 2015 - 03:44 PM

AOMEI Backupper Standard works for me.

located at http://www.backup-utility.com/personal.html?ab​

#4 itsreallycheryl

itsreallycheryl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2015 - 03:49 PM

Thank you Saw and Mr. Meyer. I found some information on a site that showed me how Windows 7 has a way of doing this. Not sure if it's an actual ISO but it's backing up everything to my external drive.

Here is the site: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/4241/how-to-create-a-system-image-in-windows-7/

I hope I'm doing this correctly. :)

Cheryl

Edited by itsreallycheryl, 01 November 2015 - 03:50 PM.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,199 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 AM

Posted 01 November 2015 - 03:57 PM

Make sure you also create a System Repair Disk. Using it you can restore the image if the computer fails to boot because of malware of you need to replace the hard disk. Windows 7 system image never failed me but take a look at Macrium and Aoemi. They can create a bootable rescue disk also. Macrium and Aoemi are easy to use and they have the advantage of being able to mount the imageas a virtual drive so you can recover any file from the image.

Mounting the image can be done with Windows System Image but not if the computer has a GPT disk. At least I was never able to mount an image created by Windows 7 that was from a GPT disk.

#6 itsreallycheryl

itsreallycheryl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2015 - 04:45 PM

Hi JohnC_21

Thank you for the advice. I just finished creating the system repair disk and I made the factory recovery disks as well. I believe I'm all set for now and will begin loading my programs on the pc. Should take me all day. :)

Cheryl

#7 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,423 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 AM

Posted 01 November 2015 - 05:39 PM

Since this is a brand new computer the factory recovery discs are the really important ones at this stage. They will return you to the state the computer was in when you unpacked it and even in the event of a hard drive failure and replacement they will return you to that condition.

Once you have the computer set up the way you want it - your applications installed and settings made, all updates to the present, etc., etc. - then it is time to use Aomei or Macrium. In the event of a problem you can return yourself to where you were when you made the image.

Never forget the importance of backing up your data to external storage. If your hard drive should go bang and all your data is on it, and only on it, it too has probably gone bang !

Chris Cosgrove

#8 itsreallycheryl

itsreallycheryl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2015 - 05:50 PM

Thank you Chris. Good to know. I will indeed be backing up everything when I am done installing and setting everything up the way I want it.

Cheryl

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users