Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

High CPU reading.

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 millie87248p79

millie87248p79

• Members
  • 203 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 AM

Posted 01 November 2015 - 11:30 AM

Hi.

Can someone help me please to figure out why i've got a high CPU reading temp of 66 oC please.

And how to bring it down to a safe temp.

Thanks.

Becky.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 AM

Posted 01 November 2015 - 04:00 PM

You will probably need to supply some system info to get any help. Make; model of computer etc.
You can try a cool pad if it is a laptop or maybe need to change or clean the CPU fan if it is a tower.

How are you determining you are running at that temp?

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

#3 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,354 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 AM

Posted 01 November 2015 - 04:02 PM

Hello millie82748p79,

I have a few questions,

Is this a laptop or desktop?

Is this 66C Idle?

What are you measuring this with?

66 degrees under load is nothing to be concerned about.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#4 millie87248p79

millie87248p79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 203 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2015 - 04:31 PM

Hi Danny Boy.

Thanks for responding.

Here is my computer spec as requested.

Operating System

Windows 7 64-bit. Home Premium.

• Antivirus Software
    Kaspersky Internet Security
  • Firewall
    Kaspersky Internet Security
  • Computer
    Acer Aspire 5742Z  (Laptop)
  • CPU
    Intel Pentium P6200 @ 2.13 GHz
  • Motherboard
    Intel® 5 Series/3400 series Chipset Family 4 Port SATA AHC1 Contoller - 3B29
  • Ram
    6 GB DDR3 Memory
  • Storage
    260 GB
  • Video Card
    Intel® Graphics and Media
  • Soundcard
    Realtek High Definition
  • Power Supply
    AC/AD Adaptor. Delta Electronics Inc. S/N 679W15508Z6 Output 18V.
  •  
I haven't used about a cooling fan before, but i did read up about them awhile ago when i was having big overheating problems.
It's not as bad as it used to be.

I have recently cleaned the CPU fan with a vacuum cleaner hose which helped but haven't replaced the fan ever.
Had laptop 4 years.

I read the CPU temp reading by running a 'piriform speccy' program.

Becky

#5 millie87248p79

millie87248p79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 203 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2015 - 04:38 PM

Captain Chicken.

I'm using a laptop. 66oC running not from idle but with running programs at the time.

The 66 oC is written in red writing opossed to orange writing when it's in 50's oC and is not so noisy. When it's in the red the fan is much more noiser and working harder, and programs are much slower to respond to commands.

I'm measuring it with 'Piriform Speccy' program.

Becky

#6 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 AM

Posted 01 November 2015 - 05:51 PM

Sorry I am not familiar with that computer and I do not find the manual in my files.

Someone else will have to help. At leastthey will now know what they are working on.

You may get more help in the hardware subforum.

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2015 - 06:36 PM

There's not a whole bunch to do with a laptop.

Blow out the vents with canned air (DO NOT USE an air compressor or a vacuum - as that can damage the system).

Use a laptop cooling pad.

Beyond that it'll involve taking the laptop apart to ensure that it's cooling properly.

FWIW - temps in the 60's aren't unusual for laptops - but the sluggishness is.

The noise is likely from the fan working hard trying to keep the system cool.

Try running less programs at once to see if that'll help.

Edited by usasma, 01 November 2015 - 06:36 PM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 millie87248p79

millie87248p79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 203 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2015 - 03:54 AM

Okay thanks for your advice.

#9 millie87248p79

millie87248p79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 203 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2015 - 03:46 AM

Hi.

Can someone help please.

There is something wrong with my laptop, it is running much slower than it usually does, it's not just that it needs a cooling fan as suggestions above have replied.

It is running at 57oC so not over heating, and it's running very slow.

Can someone do a check with me please with my system, to try and free up this slow running speed please.

Regards,

Becky

#10 Willabong

Willabong

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2015 - 05:21 AM

How much free space do you have on your hard drive?

#11 millie87248p79

millie87248p79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 203 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2015 - 08:12 AM

101GB

#12 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2015 - 08:13 AM

Let's try looking at these reports:

1)  Please provide this information (even though you may not be reporting BSOD's) so we can provide a complete analysis (from the Pinned Topic at the top of the forum):  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/

2)  Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on Administrative Events
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility:  http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#13 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,472 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2015 - 10:16 AM

Millie,

I am responding strictly to your original operating temperature question.  You cannot trust the 3rd party utilities to be accurately reporting high CPU temperatures because their databases/settings for a specific CPU are often incorrect.  If you look up the specs on your CPU, see here, or here, or here, you will see that the maximum operating temperature for this CPU is 90°C.  Your reading at 66°C is well within normal operating limits.

On a laptop I do recommend that you occasionally use your vacuum cleaner to clean the air intake and exhaust (with the computer off).  If you have easy access to the fan itself (and the rare laptop does) it also doesn't hurt to hold the vacuum nozzle just above the central opening for the fan to suck out as much not-so-loose dust that's accumulated on the fan blades.  This will usually cause the fan to spin wildly from the suction but there's never been any harm from that in all my years of doing vacuum clean-up.

Edited by britechguy, 03 November 2015 - 10:16 AM.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#14 millie87248p79

millie87248p79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 203 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2015 - 11:19 AM

Hi Usasma.

Here is the zipped file you asked for. Looks like it uploaded okay.

Becky

Attached Files

#15 millie87248p79

millie87248p79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 203 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2015 - 11:29 AM

HI Britechguy.

Thanks for taking time to reply to my original post.

I checked out the 3 links you put up, and i see that they all do say the max temp for my CPU is 90 oC. Thank you.

So third party utilitites aren't to be trusted to give accurate CPU readings. Thanks for bringing it to my attention, i wasn't aware of that.

I'll use the Windows one instead. Actually i'll run the together and see what the difference is.

Becky

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users