Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is this too much and what if anything would you suggest removing?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 auto1571

auto1571

• Members
  • 296 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 AM

Posted 01 November 2015 - 11:26 AM

Well I was wondering if I have too much security software installed right now and wondering if that could be a possible cause of my system to run somewhat slowly. I currently have Windows 10 and the current security software I have so far is as follows:

• Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
  • ESET Smart Security 9
  • Zemana AntiMalware
  • SpywareBlaster
  • WinPatrol
  • StrongVPN
  • FileHippo App Manager
  • Unchecky
  • Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit
  • KeyScrambler
  • LastPass

Also I am not sure what has happened to my Firefox browser but ever since I ever since I updated I can no longer see the proper add-on page. I think this has something to do with the fact that I have updated to it's beta version but even when I tried and re-installing I still get the same problem. And so any on help on this too is much appreciated. Thanks. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2015 - 11:51 AM

Hi there,

I suggest removing Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit as ESET Smart Security already has exploit protection.

Also you might want to replace FileHippo with another update manager since FileHippo now bundles crap in with their downloads like several other portals. The two popular managers here are Secunia PSI and Heimdal, both have free versions.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,288 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 AM

Posted 01 November 2015 - 07:09 PM

It would also be helpful if you could tell us if the software is free or paid versions.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 auto1571

auto1571
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 296 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2015 - 11:24 AM

Hi, 

Yes I was wondering why Filehippo was like it was with and with those adverts lol. 

And I am using all of this software either completely free or free on a trial bases except for the StrongVPN. However I was planning on purchasing some of these tools after the trial bases. 

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,288 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 AM

Posted 02 November 2015 - 06:36 PM

An offer of free anti-malware or security software is essentially a marketing technique...a way of advertising and enticement to get folks to try a product and if they like it, to purchase the full (or Pro) version which typically provides more features. Marketing and promotional strategies are built into the vendor's business model as part of their operating costs. Bottom line...it's all about generating revenue and finding new and creative ways to do so. As such, users may have to deal with occasional nagging pop-ups or nuisance advertising and prompts to upgrade to the paid version.

In regards to anti-malware products, the primary benefit of paid software is that most of them offer real-time protection while free versions are typically used as stand-alone scanners or to provide some behind the scene protection. As such, there is really no need to allow many of these free programs to run at startup and unnecessarily consume system resources.

I stay away from FileHippo ever since they started offering downloads via Installers:What is the FileHippo Download Manager?

The FileHippo Download Manager delivers software straight from our supercharged servers to your computer. The Download Manager allows us to use multiple network connections at the same time to guarantee you the fastest, safest delivery possible.

During this process, the Download Manager may offer you other free applications provided by our carefully chosen partners. These offers are completely optional and you are not required to install any additional applications to receive the software you selected...

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,983 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 AM

Posted 04 November 2015 - 01:26 PM

One thing I would suggest is adding Noscript to your list of security tools, if you browse with firefox with NoScript installed as an extension it would be much less likely that you'll fall victim to drive-by infection. It's a bit bothersome at first but after not very long your preferences in Noscript's lists of sites to allow/block are such that you rarely need to do any enablng to get pages working. it would act as an extra layer of defence infront of all your other layers (malwarebytes anti-exploit and such).
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users