Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows-10 & SD card Reader not working

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Jim-Bo

Jim-Bo

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 AM

Posted 01 November 2015 - 10:01 AM

Another ? if I may...

I just found that my SD reader is not working since W-10 upgrade. Somehow, I did manage to get it to find and even open to get files. Mind you, ("Once only"). It works every time on another pc.I have read several tutorials and fixes for this, but also read that W-10 is not ready to update that option. Guess I am at a loss to do anything more on my own. As always any and all advice will be greatly appreciated....Thanks...jim

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,803 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 AM

Posted 01 November 2015 - 10:18 AM

I gather you're talking about an external card reader device.

I have seen the sort of behavior you're describing with these (and I've owned a few of them) on machines running pre-10 versions of Windows.  This has always been with external readers that I've been using for some period of time.  Given how inexpensive they are, I've always simply purchased a replacement unit and that's always been the solution to the problem.  There seems to be a subset of USB devices that like to behave erratically as they age, and card readers and USB hubs fall into that grouping.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#3 Jim-Bo

Jim-Bo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 AM

Posted 01 November 2015 - 10:23 AM

Thanks for your reply...That makes complete sense to me being that it did work at least once. """The readers are HP factory installed with the PC."" I will try an external card reader as suggested and see what happens....Thank you sir,,,Much appreciated...Jim

I gather you're talking about an external card reader device.

I have seen the sort of behavior you're describing with these (and I've owned a few of them) on machines running pre-10 versions of Windows.  This has always been with external readers that I've been using for some period of time.  Given how inexpensive they are, I've always simply purchased a replacement unit and that's always been the solution to the problem.  There seems to be a subset of USB devices that like to behave erratically as they age, and card readers and USB hubs fall into that grouping.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users