Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC/Account Login Frustrations

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Richardf77

Richardf77

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 AM

Posted 01 November 2015 - 05:50 AM

A relative has just bought a new windows 10 laptop and is generally happy with it. However signing/logging into the PC on boot up has become somewhat frustrating for them.

They are the sole user of the PC so it has only one user acount activated on it and as there are no privacy issues in the household (and it never leaved the house) the machine does not need to be password protected at that level.

Windows 10 on the other hand thinks otherwise. Despite being set to 'Local Account; with no password login on more than one occasion, Windows keeps on changing this and applying various linked account logins used on the machine (Microsoft,webmail facebook etc) as the PC login on startup. After this happens each time Windows login is reset to Local Account again which is fine for a few days before it randomly takes another account login for itself.

Cant seem to find a way to stop this. The PC was set up for us in the store (PC World UK) so could something have been activated when it was setup that we dont know about and had no say over?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 01 November 2015 - 07:48 AM

A new PC shouldn't be doing this.  I setup several new W10 PC's a week and never have this behavior (and I only setup Local Accounts).

It's possible that an infection could cause this.

As it's new, take it back to the store and discuss it with them.

Worst case, bring it home and do a Reset with Remove Everything and then setup the Local Account yourself.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 GTK48

GTK48

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 01 November 2015 - 08:14 AM

You can try this:

To Remove Password of your Local Account in CTRL+ALT+DEL secure screen
1. While signed in to your local account, press the CTRL+ALT+DELETE keys to open the secure screen.

2. Click/tap on Change a password. (see screenshot below)

3. Type in your current old password, leave the new password and confirm password fields empty, and press Enter or click/tap on the arrow.

#4 Richardf77

Richardf77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 AM

Posted 01 November 2015 - 12:34 PM

It's not the local account that's the problem I think. I can set the PC to use local account only and it does not need a password. This is fine for a while then it switches to Web based login and uses a recently used online account login as the windows login. Strangely it's never the user's Microsoft account but most recently their webmail login that has nothing to do with Microsoft and Windows!

I get the feeling the way windows has been setup on this machine it does not like a no password login for the user account. A basic password has been applied to the local account to test this theory.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users