Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Nothing happens when inserting old NVIDIA GPU in old PC.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 POKEGAMERZ

POKEGAMERZ

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 PM

Posted 31 October 2015 - 11:11 PM

Alright so I have spent nearly 2 months trying to restore this old PC that used to have Windows XP on it and hasn't really been used since 2006-2007 and I have made lots of progress on it but 1 issue I seem to have with it is the GPU. Whenever I insert the GPU nothing happens (no beep codes and no display on neither motherboard nor Graphics card) and without the graphics card it functions normally. Here are my specs-
Case- Custom beige PC case.
Motherboard- PCChips PC400 with VIA VT8233 chip.
CPU- Pentium 4 2.00 GHz.
Current Motherboard Graphics Driver- S3 Prosavage DDR.
GPU that I am trying to install- AGP Dell NVIDIA Geforce FX 5200.
RAM- 228,848 KB.
Hard Drive- 18.6 GB.
PSU- Power Man FSP250-60GTA 250W PSU.
PCI Cards- USB card with drivers.
Encore WiFi card with Realtek RTL8185 54M Wireless LAN Network Adapter Driver.
Operating System- Windows 2000 Professional Service Pack 4 (SP4).
Alright so these are my specs and here is my AGP Dell NVIDIA Geforce FX 5200-
Attached File  IMG_20151030_203322202.jpg   101.78KB   0 downloads
Attached File  IMG_20151030_203335140.jpg   116.57KB   0 downloads
Attached File  IMG_20151030_203340412.jpg   90.23KB   0 downloads
I bought the card yesterday used at a PC repair shop for $20 and the guy said that it works so please help me out here because it looks like a really awesome card.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 AM

Posted 01 November 2015 - 12:36 AM

Sounds like a dead video card. I got a pc that has the same hardware in it sitting and collecting dust :). I had to recap the 5200 they all popped their tops and was leaking.

Edited by technonymous, 01 November 2015 - 12:40 AM.

#3 POKEGAMERZ

POKEGAMERZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2015 - 12:35 PM

Sounds like a dead video card. I got a pc that has the same hardware in it sitting and collecting dust :). I had to recap the 5200 they all popped their tops and was leaking.

Here is a close up of the capacitors on the Graphics Card-
Attached File  IMG_20151101_123037885.jpg   164.25KB   0 downloads
I know that it was produced around the Capacitor Plague period but none of them looked like they leaked and the tops look normal.

#4 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,468 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2015 - 02:38 PM

What brand are they? Green, Blue and little Black one. They can still be bad. Check the solder contacts too on each of those caps. A used card like this in a mess with other cards can sometimes knock one loose. Overall, You should be getting video regaurdless of drivers. It's either the caps are shot or the cpu is blown. In either case it's scrapyard junk unless you can salvage or buy new caps and solder new ones on. On my 5200 each of the greens was popped wide open and the blue and black was swelled. You're absolutely right the board was part of the capacitor plague. However, there is still really shoddy caps even today. Manufacturers like to cut corners to save a buck and this is the result. I tend to stick with Panasonic caps.

Edited by technonymous, 01 November 2015 - 02:40 PM.

#5 POKEGAMERZ

POKEGAMERZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2015 - 05:13 PM

What brand are they? Green, Blue and little Black one. They can still be bad. Check the solder contacts too on each of those caps. A used card like this in a mess with other cards can sometimes knock one loose. Overall, You should be getting video regaurdless of drivers. It's either the caps are shot or the cpu is blown. In either case it's scrapyard junk unless you can salvage or buy new caps and solder new ones on. On my 5200 each of the greens was popped wide open and the blue and black was swelled. You're absolutely right the board was part of the capacitor plague. However, there is still really shoddy caps even today. Manufacturers like to cut corners to save a buck and this is the result. I tend to stick with Panasonic caps.

Green Capacitors- Sanyo.
Purple Capicitor- OS CON.
Black Capacitors- Nichicon.
The black one does look a little bent and the blue is actually a purple Capacitor. Can you provide any solutions based on this information?

#6 seancombs

seancombs

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 PM

Posted 02 November 2015 - 02:42 PM

I had issue with my pc similar to yours, I unplugged it from mains and removed batter and reset cmos. Tried it two three times and it worked

#7 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,468 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2015 - 04:29 PM

You can try to reset the bios, but plugging in a slot card the onboard internal one is automatically turned off. No video of the slot video card = dead video card. The caps look good, but that doesn't mean they aren't bad. The cpu can also be blown. That heatsink is absolute garbage. So it may have had a heat issue in the past that resulted in a burned out cpu.

#8 POKEGAMERZ

POKEGAMERZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2015 - 06:44 PM

Update- Actually about a week ago I got a new NVIDIA GPU which I think is the NVIDIA Geforce4 Ti 4200. Got it used for he same price but I didn't have to pay anything as I paid for the faulty card but this one works like I got it fresh and new.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users