Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DistributedCom Errs and Windows fails to update

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 KCav

KCav

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 PM

Posted 31 October 2015 - 10:14 PM

Event Viewer told me DCOM got error "1068" attempting to start BITS.  I wondered what's BITS?   I Googled and now I know BITS stands for Background Intelligent Transfer Service.  I clicked on the Start Button > Administrative Tools > Component Services > Services Local > Background Inteligent Transfer Service, and then I right clicked on Properties. I found the BITS has three dependencies and they all were running,  BITS startup type was  Automatic yet its service status was stopped!   I told BITS to Start and I was told Error 1068 dependency service failed to start.  

Next I tried to find the server specified in Event Viewer ID 10005.  I opened Regedit and searched for server ID 4991D34B-0891-4291-83B6-3328366B9097.  Regedit did not find anything.  It seems BITS has three dependencies: DECOM Service Proess Launcher, RPC Process Launcher, and RPC Endpoint Mapper, and they are all running.  Error 1068 is generated because BITS can not communicate with a server that's suppose to be listed in the Registry but isn't . :crazy:

Event Viewer also reported DistributedCom error 10016.  When I Google to findout about CLSID C97FCC79-E628-407D-AE68-407D-AE68-A06AD6D8B4D1 I found it had to do with failure to update Windows.   I reviewed my update history and found Microsoft Security Essentials KB 2310138 recently failed to update twice, and now is nolonger listed in available updates.   :crazy:

Next I ran sfc /scannow.  Windows Resource Protection didn't find any integrety violations.  What should next?  :dance:

KCav

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 AM

Posted 31 October 2015 - 11:09 PM

You can run my batch script to repair BITS service and Windows Update errors. If my batch script wont work we will try other options. Message to Moderators my batch script no longer hosted and downloaded from file sharing sites.

http://www.whitehatforums.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=18

Posted Image

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 PM

Posted 01 November 2015 - 11:35 AM

Let's look at the Background Intelligent Transfer Service.

This service has two dependencies, COM+ Event System and Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Click on the Start orb rsz_1rsz_1rsz_start_orb_zpshjewtibd.png, then type in services in the Search programs and files box.  When services is seen in Programs above the Search box right click on it, then click on Run as administrator.

Scroll down to the Remote Prodecure Call (the first of the two).

The Remote Procedure Call  status should be Running, and the Startup Type should be Automatic.

Scroll down to Com+ Event system.

The status should be Running, the Startup type should be Automatic.

Scroll down to the Background Intelligent Transfer Service.

The status should be Running, the Startup type should be Automatic.

If any of these is not running double click on the Service and click on Run under Service Status.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 KCav

KCav
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2015 - 08:48 PM

Hello dc3, 

Remote Procedure Call  is running and the Startup Type is Automatic.

Com+ Event system and Background Intelligent Transfer Service are not running. In both cases Startup type is set to Automatic but they are both stopped.

Double clicked on Com + Event system  and the service started and then stopped.  Explination was some services stop automatically if they are not in use by other services or programs.

Double clicked on BITS and the message was Windows could not start Background Intelliegent Transfer Serive on local computer

Error 1068  The dependency service or group failed to start.

KCav

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,608 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2015 - 10:04 AM

I apologize for not getting back sooner.  Thank you for Pming me to remind me of your topic.

To rule out the possibility that any third party services are causing this problem I would like you to do a Clean Boot.

Warning:  Disabling items in Services or Startup may leave your anitivius disabled until the process is ended.  For this reason I would suggest that you perform this process off line.

1.  Click on the Start orb rsz_1rsz_1rsz_start_orb_zpshjewtibd.png, then type msconfig.exe in the Search programs and files box.  

2.  When msconfig is seen in the pane above the search box and under Programs, right click on it, then click on Run as administrator.

afterstart_zps02764513.jpg

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, you should enter the password or provide confirmation. 

3.  Click on the General tab.   

4.  Click the Selective startup option. 

5.  Remove the check mark in the Load startup items  check box. 

msconfig_zps77b1ef82.png

6.Click on the Services tab. 

7.  Place a check mark in the Hide all Microsoft services check box, this will remove the Microsoft Services from the list but will still be running. 

8.  Click Disable all, this will remove all of the check marks in the Services list, then click on Apply, then OK.  Click on Restart in the window that opens.

When the computer is restarted it will boot normally.  

Do the problems persist?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 KCav

KCav
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2015 - 10:59 AM

Hi dc3,  

After booting while running only MS Services the problems persist.

KCav

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,608 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2015 - 11:35 AM

Go back to Services and double click on COM+ Event System and change the startup type to manual.  Click on OK and close Services.

#8 KCav

KCav
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2015 - 11:57 AM

Go back to Services and double click on COM+ Event System and change the startup type to manual.  Click on OK and close Services.

OK Done.  I rebooted errors persist.

KCav

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users